Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 24 Apr 2011 (Sunday) 08:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D and CS3

wizard13
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 24, 2011 08:43 |  #1

Just looking to the knowledge of the members here-
I have Adobe CS3 suite and therefore Camera RAW 4.6. From what I have read the 7D needs at least 5.6 to work.
Any suggestions or work arounds to get the 7D's RAW files to work in CS3? Or is the only choice to update the Adobe package?
Thanks in advance.

Photography = a constant learning process
Website (external link) || Facebook (external link) || Gear/Feedback

sponsored links
sunbeast
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Apr 24, 2011 08:46 |  #2

You could run the pics through DPP and convert. As far as Adobe, buying a copy of Elements may be cheaper than the CS upgrade.

Gear and Feedback

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 24, 2011 08:54 |  #3

One option is to download the free Adobe DNG Converter; convert your files to DNG format and then process in CS3: http://www.adobe.com/p​roducts/dng/ (external link)

wizard13 wrote in post #12282591 (external link)
Just looking to the knowledge of the members here-
I have Adobe CS3 suite and therefore Camera RAW 4.6. From what I have read the 7D needs at least 5.6 to work.
Any suggestions or work arounds to get the 7D's RAW files to work in CS3? Or is the only choice to update the Adobe package?
Thanks in advance.

Gear List

megapixelsoffun
202 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 24, 2011 10:07 |  #4

It's one of the biggest BS things that Adobe does, not supporting new hardware for previous versions of Photoshop with a simple patch. It has to be something I really hate about Adobe, I hope someday someone makes a product to rival Photoshop so we have better options.

As for their "fix" of converting images to the DNG format is also crap, an extra step to processing just because they are lazy about supporting previous versions of Photoshop. A company that has a monopoly on this kind of thing is crap, we need competition.

Canon EOS 7D | Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX DG APO HSM (Bigma) | Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II (Thrifty Fifty) | Canon 100 mm F/2.8 L MACRO IS USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM | 430 EX II

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 24, 2011 10:31 |  #5

No one is forcing you to buy new hardware...and Canon provides software tools so ou don't even have to use Adobe products.

megapixelsoffun wrote in post #12282849 (external link)
It's one of the biggest BS things that Adobe does, not supporting new hardware for previous versions of Photoshop with a simple patch. It has to be something I really hate about Adobe, I hope someday someone makes a product to rival Photoshop so we have better options.

As for their "fix" of converting images to the DNG format is also crap, an extra step to processing just because they are lazy about supporting previous versions of Photoshop. A company that has a monopoly on this kind of thing is crap, we need competition.

Gear List

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 24, 2011 12:44 |  #6

Realize that Canon introduces "changes" to their Raw format that makes them incompatible with existing software.

Canon works on their Raw processing software, Digital Photo Professional (DPP), and releases a new version on disk with your camera that actually does a nice job of processing and converting your Raw files.

Other third-party vendors have to wait until they receive a camera, and then reverse-engineer things to be able to properly render the Raw data into a usable image format.

Adobe does this on an ongoing basis -- they update Camera Raw every three months or so. But, when they roll out a new version of CSx, they move support into that version, and stop supporting previous versions. Complain if you wish, but they are "in business"...

But they did release the DNG format, which is how you can convert a Raw file to be compatible with earlier Raw processors. You get the converter which is compatible with your camera and you set it to be compatible with Camera Raw 4.6, and you are off and running.

So, in a nutshell:

You can convert to DNG and use CS3.

You can use DPP to process the Raw and then transfer to Photoshop if/when needed

You can use a third-party software, such as Lightroom or others to handle your Raw processing (Lightroom also handles much more) and use Photoshop as needed

Or, of course, you can update to Photoshop CS5 -- there are some nice features in there, but at a price:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

wizard13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 24, 2011 15:25 |  #7

Thanks for all the input!
Might give the DPP a try since I am only working with a few files currently.
But will need to look into another solution for the future.
It really does stink that Adobe does not allow for a simple patch to allow newer hardware to work with older products but that is a way to drive sales.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 24, 2011 17:23 |  #8

Well, I'm not interested in being an "Adobe defender", but as someone who did software development as a career, I can certainly understand why the developers choose not to go back and re-program software that is several years old. In fact, I'd say the DNG converter is quit a nice "patch". You do one extra step on your batch of photos, and then they are compatible. To me that doesn't "stink" at all:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,845 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 24, 2011 17:31 |  #9

wizard13 wrote in post #12284300 (external link)
but that is a way to drive sales.

tonylong wrote in post #12284784 (external link)
Well, I'm not interested in being an "Adobe defender"

Me either, but if they really wanted to drive sales they would not offer the free dng converter which is being updated as newer cameras hit the market.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

Sorarse
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 24, 2011 18:25 |  #10

I used to blame Adobe thinking it was just their ploy to get you to upgrade to newer versions of PS. But now I blame the camera makers for continuously changing the format of their raw files so that newer cameras don't work with existing 3rd party software.

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! Terry Pratchett

http://www.scarecrowim​ages.com (external link)
Canon PowerShot G2

monty28428
Cream of the Crop
10,121 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 24, 2011 18:34 |  #11

But it's not just the format of the raw file... Adobe does color profiles etc for each new camera.

wizard13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 24, 2011 20:42 |  #12

Since it has come up why does the RAW format keep changing so things are not backwards compatible?

jenseib
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 25, 2011 06:54 as a reply to  @ wizard13's post |  #13

Ok, so I install the dng and then what?

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 25, 2011 07:03 |  #14

You install thelatest version (6.3) (external link) of the DNG converter, then convert the CR2 files to DNG & open the DNG files in whatever version ACR you want.

IMO, DPP is a better raw converter then ACR 4.6.
If you want the added features of ACR6, you'd need to upgrade to PSCS5 or buy LR3.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 25, 2011 10:25 |  #15

I see people frequently claiming that Adobe's policies are driven strictly to generate new sales but when challenged they can never explain how Adobe should backfit new features like Content Aware fill and Healing, Puppet Warp, the new Quick Selection brush, Lens Correction, etc. into the old versions of Photoshop.

Maybe I haven't been paying attention but I don't know of a single commercial software developer that adds new features to older versions of their software that they no longer supported. They may add security updates and patches, and Adobe does this too, but they certainly don't retrofit new features into the old programs.

Its more likely if you're buying custom software to fit specific needs but not with commercially available software.

tonylong wrote in post #12284784 (external link)
Well, I'm not interested in being an "Adobe defender", but as someone who did software development as a career, I can certainly understand why the developers choose not to go back and re-program software that is several years old. In fact, I'd say the DNG converter is quit a nice "patch". You do one extra step on your batch of photos, and then they are compatible. To me that doesn't "stink" at all:)!

D Thompson wrote in post #12284811 (external link)
Me either, but if they really wanted to drive sales they would not offer the free dng converter which is being updated as newer cameras hit the market.

Sorarse wrote in post #12285041 (external link)
I used to blame Adobe thinking it was just their ploy to get you to upgrade to newer versions of PS. But now I blame the camera makers for continuously changing the format of their raw files so that newer cameras don't work with existing 3rd party software.

Gear List

sponsored links

3,380 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D and CS3
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.