Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 23 Apr 2011 (Saturday) 12:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

what could i do better?

bedojo
Goldmember
1,301 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 23, 2011 12:38 |  #1

Hi, just started a 365, and i would like to get comments and critiques.
anything you say will help
basically what can i do better? what needs improvement
this was a x1600 camera right, and a 430ex behind her camera left.
I don't get much comments in other threads, tend to get skipped over so ya, hope ya'll can help
thanks you all in advanced .

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5069/5645712062_8aba7f7c81_b.jpg
click to go to flickrIMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …5645712062/in/p​hotostream  (external link)

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5008/5642222741_f1b485105d_z.jpg
again, click for flickrIMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …642222741/in/ph​otostream/  (external link)

edit: new one
IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5021/5648441841_be0fd95926_b.jpg
click to flickr if you want :)IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …5648441841/in/p​hotostream  (external link)

follow me 500px (external link) || Facebook Page (external link) || Flickr (external link) || Website & Blog (external link) ||Feedback: 1 2
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro 1 || 18mm f2.0 || 35mm f1.4 || 60mm f2.4 || AB800 || YN560 || Gordy Wrist Strap || Billingham Hadley Pro ||

sponsored links
mckinleypics
Goldmember
1,809 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 23, 2011 17:40 |  #2

I think the first one is fantastic! I'm new at this and feel you on the getting skipped over thing. Check out my post too as it happens to me.

I'd like to be more critical but honestly, I think I need to learn from you.

The second shot is great too but the color of the jacket is a little overpowering for me. You seem to have nailed the lighting though. Did you lighten the face in PP?

Dave
7D, 70-200mm 2.8 L IS, 24-70mm 2.8 L, 50mm 1.4, Tokina 11-16mm 2.8, 580EXII
My Flickr (external link)

Spike44
Goldmember
2,155 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 23, 2011 19:03 |  #3

1st had potential but never let her pose with that checkered shirt again:)...seriously never crop a hand like that. Show it all or crop a lot.
The 2nd is OK but the pose and framing is a bit boring..the light a bit flat and the jacket too bright..

corkneyfonz
Goldmember
2,477 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 23, 2011 19:33 |  #4

I like the first, interesting expression which looks pro quality just slightly let down by as spike has stated, the loss of digits and a few streaks in the bg.

My Flickr (external link)

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 23, 2011 19:55 |  #5

Loving the second shot, the bokeh, the composition, the way her hair is framing her face, that her eyes are wide so we can see the beautiful almond shape of them. I agree that the pink jacket is overwhelming but what it tells us about her (that she loves bright colors and can wear them well) is worth it. AND the pink contrasts nicely with all the bright green in the shot. Love it.

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

Iguanasan
53 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 24, 2011 21:47 |  #6

The first one is wonderful and shows a lot of character. The point about chopping the fingers off her left hand is the key here.

I really like the second one. The light on her hair is very nice and the background (the right side) is great. The bright spot on the left is a bit distracting. I'd either burn it in or clone the right side into the left side.

Crocodile101
186 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 24, 2011 21:52 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

You heard it already on one. on two, I think it's a great photo, one thing I noticed is her tooth, cover it in pp.

You don't take a photograph, you make it. Ansel Adams.

bedojo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,301 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 24, 2011 23:07 |  #8

wow alot better responses then I thought lol.
I see what you are saying about the bright spot on number 2.
the cut of fingers >.< yeah. i agree with what all you are saying,thank you very much!
I have always had trouble with the bright pink jacket, what would be the best way to tone that down? or what hue curve effects it? when ever i play with the red channel it helps it a little bit but ruins the rest of the image.

here is another one, shot yesterday ( ill add in top also, instead of making a new thread. )

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5021/5648441841_be0fd95926_b.jpg
click to flickr if you want :)IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …5648441841/in/p​hotostream  (external link)

the back ground was a white seamless underexposed down to some shade of grey, then changed to blue in post. i got the idea from Phamsters 4 seasons, but obviously didn't do as good as him lol.

follow me 500px (external link) || Facebook Page (external link) || Flickr (external link) || Website & Blog (external link) ||Feedback: 1 2
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro 1 || 18mm f2.0 || 35mm f1.4 || 60mm f2.4 || AB800 || YN560 || Gordy Wrist Strap || Billingham Hadley Pro ||

Hawk's ­ Feather
308 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 24, 2011 23:42 |  #9

Don’t worry about not getting lots of replies when you ask for critiques. I chime in every couple of weeks but don’t want to make a full time job out of reviewing images. The disclaimer: I am not an expert, but anyone on the internet – even me. First off, there are people that will look at an image and love it and others will look at it and will not like it at all. It all depends what they are looking at/for. A cute puppy or kitten (I don’t like cats but that is another matter) will quite often get oohs and awes because of the subject and not for the technical merit of the image. Keep that in mind, if you continue to read – all ideas are just me and I am only one person. Another thing to remember is that it is easier for me to point out what I would like to see changed than it is for me to get the proper setup so that my images come out the way I would like. Finally, the assumption is that these were “set up” as model images and not “casually shot” images.

Image 1: The flash behind (camera left) either needs to provide a uniform light pattern or be directed to the center of the subject so that there is a lighter area on both sides of the subject. Right now there is a hot spot just over her left shoulder. The hand and arm has been covered. The lighting is “hot” – the palm of her right hand should not be whiter in color than that in her shirt. Her other hand is also “hot” but not as much. The left side of her face (camera right) is also much lighter than I would like to see. Last, while I don’t care for the busy plaid of the shirt, it has either been well worn or the colors are off. The center of her hair (top of her head) has no detail left. Overall, I think the exposure should have been changed and possible different placement of lighting.

On the plus side, normally one person in a picture requires a portrait layout rather than a landscape. With how you have positioned the model and the expansion of her arms the landscape format works very well.

Image 2: While the depth of field (bokeh) is great, the amount of white area in the left side of the picture is distracting to me. Normally a person’s eye is drawn to lighter areas, which if it is the models face it is good, but if it is the edge of the image, it isn’t. I also don’t like that the backpack has been cut off – similar to the hand in image 1. There is enough “empty” area in the image that the backpack could have been all there. The jacket being as bright as it is also distracts from the model. I would also encourage you to crop. Not that mine is the best, but it will give you an idea.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i7.photobucket.​com/albums/y274/JLx220​/image2.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

It looks like you have some camera skill and I would encourage you to continue to look for ways to improve. If you post images and don’t get many replies, continue to click on other posts and do your own evaluation of the images. Remember to first look for the technical merit in an image and not evaluate what is in the image. There are many good posts in this forum for all of us to learn from – the problem (that I have too) is remembering to do them when I shoot.

Jerry
Jerry Latta Photography (external link)

Hawk's ­ Feather
308 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 24, 2011 23:47 |  #10

You just posted while I was writing. I really like the last image. I would like to see the top of the hood, but she has two hands and that is good. : ) Your snow is going to need some work, but when anyone has seen the one that Pham has shot it is hard to compare to that.

Jerry
Jerry Latta Photography (external link)

Spike44
Goldmember
2,155 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 25, 2011 08:08 |  #11

Another good shot - but another example where you really should shot these in profile. You would be able to capture the top of the hood and her hands would not be as cramped....you can still get some snow in. Right now, there is just too much purple (??) space there. In fact, I would add more snow and change the background colour in a profile shot.
Someone will crop it but to me, you will be still be missing too much of her parka top.

bedojo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,301 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 25, 2011 13:02 |  #12

thanks for all the comments!!!

is the last one really purple?? :O i was trying to change the grey to blue -.<
i need to work on the framing of it, and stop cropping off stuff in camera, i probably could shoot it a bit wider, then crop in post...

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 25, 2011 13:30 |  #13

It's really purple on my screen, yes, but I like it purple personally.

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

sponsored links

1,436 views & 0 likes for this thread
what could i do better?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.