Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 24 Apr 2011 (Sunday) 20:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Quick criticism please

xtremepb0
237 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 24, 2011 20:17 |  #1

Hi guys,

So I just got LR3 a few days ago and I went up to New York for the auto show (anyone else go?) anyways I took this picture of the Rx-8, before there was people crowding around in the background and it wasn't all black. I took a certain part of the black background and brushed the rest of it that same color. Then I bumped up the fill light a little and also used a little bit of blacks. I'm still very new to this software though and figuring it all out. Let me know what you guys think!

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5263/5648317726_0d9501b804_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/xtremepb0/56483​17726/  (external link)
IMG_7734 (external link) by xtremepb0 (external link), on Flickr

Canon 30D. Nifty Fifty, Sigma 10-20mm 75-300mm, 18-85mm, 100-300mm.

sponsored links
Crocodile101
186 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 24, 2011 22:04 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

Your missing part of the car, I know you know but it's the first thing that comes to mind, the second is it's a nice car but whats up with the fence. It takes away from the photo. The photo look good otherwise.

You don't take a photograph, you make it. Ansel Adams.

SOK
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 25, 2011 04:07 as a reply to  @ Crocodile101's post |  #3

The PP looks good. The cropped front end and fence don't make for a great starting point though...

Steve
SOK Images - Wedding and Event Photography Gold Coast (external link)

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 25, 2011 04:13 |  #4

Crocodile101 wrote in post #12286169 (external link)
Your missing part of the car, I know you know but it's the first thing that comes to mind, the second is it's a nice car but whats up with the fence. It takes away from the photo. The photo look good otherwise.

I don't know if you frequent auto shows (like the Detroit auto show), but that's pretty standard procedure with the vehicles they don't want you to touch. 90% of the vehicles are out in the open for people to open up and sit in, but the choice models are always blocked off. Look, but don't touch.

My Gearlist

Marius ­ B
555 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 25, 2011 04:17 |  #5

The PP looks good, and the reflections of the lights on the roof gives it a "showroom" feel to it as do the fence. But I would love to see the hole car and not tilted.

M

www.bottolfsen.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)®
Facebook (external link)

5D MKII, 5D, EF 17-40, EF 24-70, EF 70-200 f2,8 IS, EF 35 f1.4, EF 100 f2.8 IS

SullyMass
84 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 25, 2011 07:54 |  #6

The fence restrictions are a bit tough, I've been to that show, it's nuts! Maybe a wide-angle shot from the corner? Otherwise, to me, the colors look on par with what's expected with the erratic lighting of the show floor. I like!

5D III | 7D | 450D - 50mm f/1.4 | 24-105L | 70-200mm f/2.8L II | 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM

xtremepb0
THREAD ­ STARTER
237 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 25, 2011 15:14 |  #7

Thanks or the comments guys and ya it was rediculous to try and get shots without people crowding around :P. The one thing I definitly need though is a wide angle lens. So hard to get good shots without one lol.

corkneyfonz
Goldmember
2,477 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 25, 2011 16:44 |  #8

Top marks for your efforts in a camera unfriendly environment.

My Flickr (external link)

xtremepb0
THREAD ­ STARTER
237 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 26, 2011 14:09 |  #9

Thank you very much sir. Also I was wondering if you guys like the background black or if it would be better with poles and people in the background. I don't belive I have the original to post for you guys, let me see if I can dig it up.

Iancentric
714 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 27, 2011 13:00 |  #10

I took a quick look through your shots of the auto show on your flickr page. Why did you pick this one to spend time PP'ing. I think you did a good job with the processing but that doesn't mean it's a good pic. With fence in the shot and the front missing it just isn't a great shot.
I like the black background without the people and poles.
Spend some time on one of the other shots in your album. One of the tightly cropped ones, like the mercedes.. there are definately some good ones in your photostream more deserving of your time in photoshop.
Ian

Ian
Flickr (external link)
Tumblr (external link)
instagram (external link)

sponsored links

1,292 views & 0 likes for this thread
Quick criticism please
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.