Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 25 Apr 2011 (Monday) 09:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do wedding photogs do it?

stayhumble
Goldmember
1,328 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 25, 2011 10:21 |  #16
bannedPermanent ban

remember this.

-employees family get-together event
-candid shots

so before even saying anything. No one will or should be expecting insanely nice or studio type light shots. There will almost be nothing artistic in this. It is simply capturing photos of people together to commemorate a night together.

are you getting paid? if not, stop sweating anything.

with that said. the most you need is a bracket to raise the flash and then an ETTL flash. have a ETTL cord or wireless trigger. bounce flash if ceilings are within range and use the fill card provided.

you really shouldnt worry. weddings would be different.

if you dont already have that setup. you can buy a bracket and ettl flash all for under $200 easily.

There are no rules for a good photograph and there are no excuses for a bad one.
SELLING:40D, 50D, 10-22, Tamron 17-50 non VC, 5D, 14MM II, 24-105, 70-200 f/4 IS, 430EX, 530EX (ALL MINT W/Box)

sponsored links
jeljohns
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 25, 2011 10:22 as a reply to  @ post 12288533 |  #17

I haven't been told the exact location, but it's one of these two situations:

The lobby (very dark room, most likely nothing to bounce off of) I have been offered an assistant, so I guess I could have them hold up a reflector?

Outside in front of statue, between 5-7pm, which means setting sun.

stayhumble
Goldmember
1,328 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 25, 2011 10:27 |  #18
bannedPermanent ban

to the OP. reading will only take you so far. practice will speak for itself.

as for the whole wedding photographer using the stofen only.

that is because you must realize the business of photography is A LOT of business. yea, those photographers dont come out with anything sensational but it works, and most clients dont know the difference in the work. its easy, it works, and it gets them paid. PLUS there is post processing, and if you know anything about that..youd know it can do almost anything you want. example: brighten areas, create fill, etc etc.

There are no rules for a good photograph and there are no excuses for a bad one.
SELLING:40D, 50D, 10-22, Tamron 17-50 non VC, 5D, 14MM II, 24-105, 70-200 f/4 IS, 430EX, 530EX (ALL MINT W/Box)

stayhumble
Goldmember
1,328 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 25, 2011 10:30 |  #19
bannedPermanent ban

jeljohns wrote in post #12288565 (external link)

The lobby (very dark room, most likely nothing to bounce off of) I have been offered an assistant, so I guess I could have them hold up a reflector?

do you have a reflector? if not get yourself a large 5in 1 reflector off amazon. it was like $15 shipped.

if shooting outside, at that time. you wont know ambient light conditions so ALWAYS be prepared with setting up lights. if you are doing large groups you need atleast 2 speedlites, or you can get flood lights at home depot and diffuse them. indoors you can get decent to great photos using one flash and bouncing. but outside, youre really gonna have to step up to the plate. especially at those times.

smaller groups say less than 5, you can get away with one flash. and dont expect the reflector to fill everyones face in the group.

stayhumble
Goldmember
1,328 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 25, 2011 10:31 |  #20
bannedPermanent ban

The lobby (very dark room, most likely nothing to bounce off of)

what do you mean likely nothing to bounce off of?

have you seen the lobby, and also there is only one thing to bounce off of...the ceiling. i dont know if you were thinking of bouncing off walls and cubicles or what lol. walls could work if you really knew what you were doing. ive bounced off walls many times but in a controlled setting.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,246 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 25, 2011 10:54 |  #21

Look into a bounce card like the rogue flashbender or demb flipit. You can use them to act as a bounce surface when none is available, or as a kicker when you can bounce off of nearby surfaces.

jeljohns
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 25, 2011 11:00 |  #22

stayhumble wrote in post #12288628 (external link)
The lobby (very dark room, most likely nothing to bounce off of)

what do you mean likely nothing to bounce off of?

have you seen the lobby, and also there is only one thing to bounce off of...the ceiling. i dont know if you were thinking of bouncing off walls and cubicles or what lol. walls could work if you really knew what you were doing. ive bounced off walls many times but in a controlled setting.

Yes, I have been to this place. Everything in the lobby is DARK. Dark walls, dark ceiling. It is essentially a cave.

jeljohns
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 25, 2011 11:02 |  #23

stayhumble wrote in post #12288563 (external link)
remember this.

-employees family get-together event
-candid shots

so before even saying anything. No one will or should be expecting insanely nice or studio type light shots. There will almost be nothing artistic in this. It is simply capturing photos of people together to commemorate a night together.

are you getting paid? if not, stop sweating anything.

with that said. the most you need is a bracket to raise the flash and then an ETTL flash. have a ETTL cord or wireless trigger. bounce flash if ceilings are within range and use the fill card provided.

you really shouldnt worry. weddings would be different.

if you dont already have that setup. you can buy a bracket and ettl flash all for under $200 easily.

Yeah, totally not getting paid, haha. Everyone on staff knows photography is my hobby, so I got recruited simply because of that. :) I'm not sweating it too bad, I know they won't be professional. But I do want to do the best I can. :)

CiM_Photography
Goldmember
1,813 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 25, 2011 11:07 |  #24

jeljohns wrote in post #12288842 (external link)
Yeah, totally not getting paid, haha. Everyone on staff knows photography is my hobby, so I got recruited simply because of that. :) I'm not sweating it too bad, I know they won't be professional. But I do want to do the best I can. :)

The fact that you're doing this research and trying your best points to a positive outcome.

Curious - where's the event?

Just call me Jeremy. <Massachusetts Wedding & Portrait Photographer (external link) | Gear List>

professoryeti
573 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 25, 2011 11:17 |  #25

jeljohns wrote in post #12288842 (external link)

Try and get your exposure most of the way there with the ambient light and then lay your flash over that. Something like ISO 800+ with the shutter at or or below 1/60 and f/2.8. This will bring in a lot of ambient light so that the flash isn't so totally obvious and the scene will read more naturally. You'll also get a pretty shallow DOF which to the laymen means "beautiful and artistic photographs!". demb flip-it or flashbender, or any kind of bounce card on the flash and stick it straight up set to ETTL with 0 FEC to start. If the photos look a little bright and fake, then bring FEC down to -0.7 or -1. If they're a little dark and dull, then bring them up the same amount.

Saturnalia for all you have.
5D Mark II | 5D | 24mm f/1.4L II | 35mm f/1.4L | Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 | Canon 100mm f/2.8L | 24-105mm f/4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |
JoshNibertPhotography.​com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

stayhumble
Goldmember
1,328 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 25, 2011 11:24 |  #26
bannedPermanent ban

[QUOTE=jeljohns;122888​24]

stayhumble wrote in post #12288628 (external link)
Yes, I have been to this place. Everything in the lobby is DARK. Dark walls, dark ceiling. It is essentially a cave.

not only will it be hard to bounce off those dark ceilings and walls, but it will also reflect unwanted tones onto the subject.

what you will need is a bracket(with trigger), ETTL flash and you will need to use your other arm holding a reflector (you can use a white foam board) and angle it 45 to bounce onto your subject as you trigger with the other hand. THATS IF you want to bounce flash (which is a more natural/softer lighting) you could always shoot straight on, but get a difuser then. there is BARELY any difference depending on the one you get, but its better than nothing for less than $5

that is the only way to get it to work as for as your skills will allow. flashing on stands is a whole nother level that even i dont know well yet.

what i suggest is picking a designated place where ppl can come for a quick shot and i would spend the $10 in poster board and taping it FLAT to the ceiling above you. test shoot subjects ahead of time so you get the angles right, then have people walk through there if they want shots.

Personally, that is what i would do (taping posterboard). Why? Because as we know, most people dont know about lighting and that you are stuck between a rock and a hard place in that dark environment. You will come out with less than good shots and itll stain your name.

So as funny or unorthodox as that may sound, i would prefer putting in the effort and lookin..out there, than having poor pictures reflect on my name.

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 25, 2011 11:26 |  #27

Mike Bell wrote in post #12288313 (external link)
On-camera flash works well for fill-in lighting, but looks poor when the flash is the main light source.

.... that is most of what I know about flash :cry: .... but don't worry a real expert will be along in a minute ...

Not necessarily (external link).

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

Apr 25, 2011 11:36 |  #28

As a wedding photographer, I can say that it's all about bouncing the flash. Mind you, not every single picture will come out with pleasing light, but as long as you have a low enough ceiling or a wall to bounce off of then use it. I hardly ever use direct flash unless it's for something basic like table visits or formals right after the ceremony.

For more "artsy" type shots, i usually arrange a time with the couple where I can pull them from the wedding and take pictures outside of the ceremony/reception venue. By then my assistants will already have the off camera flash gear setup and we're good to go.

Flickr Photostream (external link)
Canon 50D w/ Grip - Sigmalux 50mm 1.4

jeljohns
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 25, 2011 11:38 |  #29

professoryeti wrote in post #12288940 (external link)
Try and get your exposure most of the way there with the ambient light and then lay your flash over that. Something like ISO 800+ with the shutter at or or below 1/60 and f/2.8. This will bring in a lot of ambient light so that the flash isn't so totally obvious and the scene will read more naturally. You'll also get a pretty shallow DOF which to the laymen means "beautiful and artistic photographs!". demb flip-it or flashbender, or any kind of bounce card on the flash and stick it straight up set to ETTL with 0 FEC to start. If the photos look a little bright and fake, then bring FEC down to -0.7 or -1. If they're a little dark and dull, then bring them up the same amount.

Thanks! This is really helpful!

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 25, 2011 11:43 |  #30

There is no one answer to this. I do a lot of weddings, and unlike previous posters I don't use flash diffusers, often start my ISO at 1600+, wide open on prime lenses, with flash

It depends on the situation

Yes there are people out there using sto-fen's outdoors and getting ok results.

And yes there are also bad vehicle drivers out there who get from point A to B still.

Think about it.

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

sponsored links

10,779 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do wedding photogs do it?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.