Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 26 Apr 2011 (Tuesday) 06:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Rugged-well built Photo Back pack??

Ronnie ­ H
Goldmember
1,793 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 26, 2011 06:05 |  #1

need some suggestions?? Looked at info here but still have ??

picture this ?! 5 mi from the truck,,an unexpeted strom hits,,,need to protect my photo gear??

Need a well built easy to carry pack,,,had Kata DR467 nice but too small top compartment...had Kata 30 -3in-1 ,old style,,no lap-top com. & would like bigger top compartment for colthes,food ,,rain gear ?/
only need room for 1- dslr (40D) and a couple of smaller lens,,flash...

i carry a G9-G12 in pouch on shoulder strap for quick shots..& a small tri-pod

BUT # 1 is comfort of carrying,,,the old Kata was not very comfortable...
I am large 6'-275# so need a large mans bag?

The new Tamrac Evolution 8 -5788 has taken my eye?? whats your thoughts on this one?? any other suggestion ?? Thanks Ron

sponsored links
tristinGrind
531 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 26, 2011 09:04 |  #2

Check out FStopgear.com They have some amazing hiking/mountaineering backpacks that are make to carry cameras, gear, and laptops... You might find what you want there. The only issue is that sometimes they can be backordered for some time.

-- Tristin
FB: +12/-0

Joris
251 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 26, 2011 09:10 as a reply to  @ tristinGrind's post |  #3

Perhaps Lowepro's Pro Trekker AW series :) ? Also, Lowepro will be coming up with a sort of small and light backpack which accommodates a (pro) DSLR (without battery grip) with a zoom lens mounted and a flash in the near future, I've been told.

Snow001
328 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 26, 2011 09:45 |  #4

I have the Vertex 200 AW (external link). Enough space for what you have plus a laptop as well.

DianeK
603 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 26, 2011 10:53 as a reply to  @ Snow001's post |  #5

The Tamrac Evolution is well constructed and I like the fact that the rain cover is not attached so it can be cleaned (I don't really understand the logic behind all these attached rain covers). The harness is very good for a man (being a 5'5" woman, I need to modify the shoulder straps when I'm the one carrying it) and the hip belt is robust. The upper compartment for personal gear is proportionally smaller than those in the Lowes and if you over-stuff it, it will bulge into the camera compartment and make slipping your camera out the side access a little difficult. I'm left-handed and my husband is right-handed so we liked the fact that it can be configured for camera access from either side. The pack generally suited our needs better than the Lowe Fastpack but is a little bit heavier than the Lowe.
Diane

Diane
7D | 60D | EF 100mm f/2.8 macro | EF 70-300L IS | EFS 15-85 IS | EFS 10-22 | 430 EXII's | Pocket Wizards | Sony RX100

Gizmo1137
960 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 26, 2011 12:40 |  #6

Joris wrote in post #12295116 (external link)
Perhaps Lowepro's Pro Trekker AW series :) ? Also, Lowepro will be coming up with a sort of small and light backpack which accommodates a (pro) DSLR (without battery grip) with a zoom lens mounted and a flash in the near future, I've been told.

Yes Lowepro makes excellent stuff. Well made, nice usable features and overall very functional.

Best, Bruce

kinghong1970
Goldmember
2,093 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 26, 2011 12:46 |  #7

Kata 3n1's =/= comfort... or rugged...

check out thinktank... cost a bit more but when you compare side to side... it's well worth it... and it's rugged...

Albert the Clumsy Ape
GEAR | FEEDBACK | REVIEW | KING OF GREENE STREET (external link) | FS: Gitzo GT1550T, Photoclam PC30N

Ronnie ­ H
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,793 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 26, 2011 13:03 |  #8

;) Thanks for the info,,,,still looking into all i can find out,,,wish there was a Shop in our area that stocked them so i could compare in person??? but that why I am asking here,,,So far the Tamrac Evolution,8,has features I like in a bag,,,like the extra protection on the bottom,,4-sure,,but have concern about size of upper space for colthes,food ect,,,& comfort of carrying straps,,

Any more to compare to ??? Thanks Ron

va_rider
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 26, 2011 13:40 |  #9

Take a look at the clik hiker elite.... It sounds like it might suit you... If it does..let me know...I happen to have one sitting around...

Canon 5dmkIII, Sigma 15mm f/2.8FE; 35mm f/1.4; Canon EF70-200 f/2.8L IS II; --- YN560 x 7
I'm not a professional photographer, and I don't want to be.
Flickr (external link)

DavidAndrew
37 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 26, 2011 14:23 as a reply to  @ va_rider's post |  #10

You might consider the Tenba messenger daypack on your list. http://www.tenba.com …Photo-Laptop-Daypack.aspx (external link)

I just ordered one as I needed a camera/laptop backpack as well. I also considered the Tamrac Evo 8 and the Kata 467 so I know where you're at. The Tenba is only slightly bigger than the Kata, both in the size I wanted. The Tamrac Evo 8 is larger so I scratched it but if you want larger that may end up your best choice.

David
Portfolio / Blog  (external link) | Flickr  (external link) | 500px  (external link) | Instagram  (external link)

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 26, 2011 14:35 |  #11

Think Tank Rotation 360.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

roger1234
66 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 26, 2011 14:51 |  #12

kinghong1970 wrote in post #12296413 (external link)
Kata 3n1's =/= comfort... or rugged...

check out thinktank... cost a bit more but when you compare side to side... it's well worth it... and it's rugged...

I'll second Thinktank - as long as you put on their rain jacket once the storm hit.

My limited experience on few (4~5 Tamrac, 1 Lowepro and 2 Thinktank) shoulder/backpack experience is follow, just my 2 cent:

Tamrac (expensive lines) has combo foam (close + open cell) for best protection and the fabric is pretty effective against light rain. Use best fabric and strong metal hardware so they can get pretty heavy.

Lowepro use rugged thick close-cell padding that protects gear well but not vibration. Often comes with great rain-coat. Previously they're line is often overbuilt and bulky.

Thinktank often has sufficient padding and sufficient hardware. Their seal is effective against light rain but do get wet pretty easily. Once you put on the rain jacket its all well protected. It is also the most comfortable line.

I use Thinktank exclusively now - all previous ones are already sold.

MR ­ do ­ little
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 26, 2011 14:55 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

Kata R-106 is rugged alright.

Regards
Paul L.

Ronnie ­ H
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,793 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 26, 2011 15:26 |  #14

Been following all your recomendations,,but so far the Evolution 8 is the one ?? Ron

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 26, 2011 16:47 as a reply to  @ Ronnie H's post |  #15

Either of the Lowepro Rover backpacks (Rover AW II has integral all-weather cover), or its sibling the Dryzone Rover (waterproof). Both have good-sized gear compartments, and roomy upper compartments for any of your extras (food/snacks, rainsuit, flashlight, headlamp, small toolkit, gloves, etc. Also have excellent tripod carriers and very decent harness system.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

sponsored links

3,109 views & 0 likes for this thread
Rugged-well built Photo Back pack??
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.