Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 23 Mar 2011 (Wednesday) 16:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

HorusBennu Products Thread

themadman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 25, 2011 21:04 |  #46

supraman2133 wrote in post #12290577 (external link)
Thanks to themadman, I placed an order for the fx34 on Wednesday night. It got shipped on Thursday and was at customs for only half a day on Saturday. Today I received a note on my door when I got home saying they missed me. Sadly, I'm not gonna be able to pick it up till tomorrow morning. Juss wanted to let someone the timeframe incase they are wondering about ordering something internationally. Thanks again themadman!

Tell us how you like it when you get it!

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

sponsored links
Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 26, 2011 04:09 |  #47

themadman wrote in post #12281734 (external link)
I am extremely busy currently and I have not had a chance to do much photography with it or write a review. However what I have done it has performed well, I would recommend it.

Oh no worries haha, I don't mean to rush, was just wondering about it :)

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

supraman2133
118 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 26, 2011 18:20 |  #48

Alright, just had the chance to play with the fx34. First thing i notice was the package was very nicely wrap. I ordered a red one but the box said black. After opening the box, it was indeed a black one. O wells. Mounted onto my gitzo 1541t, the legs closed up perfectly. Mounting the camera was a different story... This head was suppose to handle like 39 pounds or something, but couldn't take the weight of my 5d2 plus 85L. Tightening the main knob down as hard as I can was useless in locking it down. I only have another lens, and that's the 16-35 II. Same thing. It just flopped around. Not sure if I got a defective item or user error. Not sure if I should try again in ordering another one but what I'm sure is this is going back.

Gear List + Feedback

elogical
Goldmember
1,217 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 26, 2011 18:29 |  #49

supraman2133 wrote in post #12298397 (external link)
Alright, just had the chance to play with the fx34. First thing i notice was the package was very nicely wrap. I ordered a red one but the box said black. After opening the box, it was indeed a black one. O wells. Mounted onto my gitzo 1541t, the legs closed up perfectly. Mounting the camera was a different story... This head was suppose to handle like 39 pounds or something, but couldn't take the weight of my 5d2 plus 85L. Tightening the main knob down as hard as I can was useless in locking it down. I only have another lens, and that's the 16-35 II. Same thing. It just flopped around. Not sure if I got a defective item or user error. Not sure if I should try again in ordering another one but what I'm sure is this is going back.

Yeah, that's not right. That's no fun to have to do an overseas return. The largest lens I've tried on mine was the Sigma 150mm f/2.8. A quick google search shows the 85L to be just barely heavier than this lens, and mine holds up fine. Does it look like the knob is threading down properly? Maybe it's missing a washer or something? It's not the strongest head in the world and I sure as heck wouldn't use anything as heavy as what it's rated for max, but it shouldn't have trouble with what you're describing.
I'm not claiming zero droop when locking, but I definitely don't have any movement at all once it's clamped down.

I'm kinda jealous you got a black one though...

I'll have a full review up shortly on mine but I've just been busy and was hoping to use it more extensively before writing about it...

Gear

supraman2133
118 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 26, 2011 18:48 |  #50

I didn't really care about the color too much but the black one does compliment the tripod very nicely. But ultimately, I rather have a working ball head than a pretty non working one.

Gear List + Feedback

TuanTime
759 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 26, 2011 19:20 as a reply to  @ supraman2133's post |  #51

Who did you order it through?

supraman2133
118 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 26, 2011 20:21 |  #52

Cameramate2010

Gear List + Feedback

themadman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 27, 2011 00:46 |  #53

supraman2133 wrote in post #12299080 (external link)
Cameramate2010

Just to double check it is FX-34Q not a LX-2T?

My FX-34Q holds up pretty much any lens I have like a champ.

I would contact the seller and tell him you got a defective product.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

Wickedkid19
247 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 27, 2011 01:03 as a reply to  @ themadman's post |  #54

well i finally got my LX3 from (dhsummer) and had the chance to test it out tonight. I mounted the BH on my Benro c2680 to do some video recording of my 6month old in his highchair and it was perfect. Held my gripped 7D + 24-105L easily. couple of twist of the locking knobs and i had it in place ready to shoot. only comparison i have to other ballheads is the benro b1 which came with my tripod set, which i sold since I kinda of prefer the single knob adjustment. The generic plate that it came with is rather small which i will update to an RRS or Kirk sometime soon. Other than that i like the LX3. Great value and functionality for the price.

Lucky L.
5Dmark II | 35mm L f1.4 | 50mm f1.4 | 85mm f1.8 | 100mm L f2.8 Macro | 580exII | Benro c2680 | Horusbennu LX-3 | protected by f-stop Loka
~ Take some Wicked shots!!! ~

emrldwpn
55 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 27, 2011 18:46 |  #55

Has anyone used the 988X Tripod + LX-2T Ball Head? The tripod looks really light at 1.6 lb.

http://cgi.ebay.com …3f061d91fe#ht_1​3943wt_912 (external link)

ToxMox
171 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Apr 28, 2011 08:30 |  #56

Got my C-2540 Tripod with LX-3 Ballhead yesterday. I've never owned a nice tripod so I don't really have anything to compare it to but my initial impression is that I love it!

Just for kicks I mounted my T2i with 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II without using the lens collar and mounted the ballhead to the base of the T2i and there was almost no sag at all. The ball head is very smooth and locks down very easily.

Canon EOS 550D/T2i | EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II | 430EX II | Sigma 50mm F1.4 | Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 OS | Sigma 10-20mm | Sigma 105mm F2.8 OS Macro | Canon Powershot S100 | Clik Elite ProBody Sport (2011 edition) | Think Tank Retrospective 20 | HorusBennu C-2540 Tripod w/ LX-5 Ballhead | Luma Loop (v2)

themadman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 28, 2011 17:16 |  #57

Thanks for all the reviews folks!

emrldwpn wrote in post #12305619 (external link)
Has anyone used the 988X Tripod + LX-2T Ball Head? The tripod looks really light at 1.6 lb.

http://cgi.ebay.com …3f061d91fe#ht_1​3943wt_912 (external link)

I much prefer the FX-34Q head to the LX-2T, no experience with the tripod.

emrldwpn
55 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 29, 2011 03:08 |  #58

How about the 747X tripod? I know it's a lower end model than the CF series, but I'm curious if anyone has worked with them. TIA.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 29, 2011 04:02 |  #59

emrldwpn wrote in post #12314892 (external link)
How about the 747X tripod? I know it's a lower end model than the CF series, but I'm curious if anyone has worked with them. TIA.

The idea with tripods is that you generally buy an expensive/good one to start off with, and it lasts you a lifetime :) Horusbennu stuff is already much cheaper than manfrotto/gitzo etc... and from what I've read here, almost, if not just as, good. If you absolutely can't afford more expensive stuff e.g. the c 2540 which seems very reasonably priced IMO for a CF tripod, then I'd say don't experiment, and stick to stuff that has already been reviewed so you know what you're getting.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

saab
236 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 29, 2011 10:57 |  #60

Something is not working right. My fx-34q will hold my d3, 70-200 VRII and a quantum flash all day long, in any position.

BTW, I need to do a review soon. I have the HB head mounted on the PhotoClam PT124 legs. It is a fantastic combo. (I got the legs on a great deal due to an issue with an ebay seller. I bought other tripod legs that he could not ship and he offered the PhotoClam as a replacement.)

supraman2133 wrote in post #12298397 (external link)

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs." ~Ansel Adams

sponsored links

181,805 views & 0 likes for this thread
HorusBennu Products Thread
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.