Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 16 Apr 2011 (Saturday) 16:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

wedding photo quote...

rgrebby
654 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 16, 2011 16:47 |  #1

Wouldnt mind some advice and to see what people think about this situation.

I have a couple who wants me to photograph their wedding. They first contacted me a year ago and since I knew them 10 years ago they wanted a 'mates rate'quote. Well I didnt really know them back then but they wanted to pay cash so fair enough I dropped £50 off the total back then.

They asked a lot of questions and so on over the course of a few months but nothing had been paid and I had not taking any booking fees. I went to the US for three months and when I got back emailed them again and asked if they were still interested in me doing their wedding. They really wanted me to do it so I got updated information and forwarded a new quote to them back in Feb of this year.

I got an email back with my original quote saying that they wanted the price I had put in May 2010 and that if I could split the time into two as they didnt weant me to be there while they are eating.

I sent an email back to them explaining the increase of cost and that me stopping for an hour or two wouldnt be cost effective for me but I was wondering what other people think.

Basic short version, I quoted back in May 2010, no booking fee paid, client contacted again in Feb 2011 with new quote. Client wants old quote and time split into two as they dont want to pay me while they eat.

Thanks in advance

Canon 5D MKII
Canon 24-70mm f2.8L
Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS
Canon 85mm 1.8
http://richardgrebby.c​o.uk (external link)

sponsored links
beegeeboy
304 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 16, 2011 16:59 |  #2

Hi,

Did you ask for a booking fee and they didn't pay? Or did you just assume they would pay one? Either way as you had a lot of initial contact with them and then contacted them on your return, I am assuming you thought the date was booked? If that was me I'd be sticking to my original quote. But I'm not a professional so I might be way off!

David

Gear: A box with a hole; some tubes with glass in 'em
SmugMug (external link)

rgrebby
THREAD ­ STARTER
654 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 16, 2011 17:01 |  #3

Well I had asked them if they wanted to go ahead with it and never heard anything. I contacted them again to see if they were interested in me doing their wedding. About 9 months had past between contact so I didnt expect them to still need my services.

Canon 5D MKII
Canon 24-70mm f2.8L
Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS
Canon 85mm 1.8

mbloof
101 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 16, 2011 17:18 |  #4

Humm....

With time, everything goes up. Unless you have a signed agreement and paid retainer on hand I'd agree and not consider being 'booked'. (do your quotes have a 'expire clause' on them?)

Strike#1: Upfront discount
Strike#2: Wants last years quote on this years economy
Strike#3: Wants time to be 'split coverage' (great deal for them, not so much for you)

Unless you really need/want the booking, I'd walk away.

(what do I know? I'm not a paid professional)

Marko
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mbloof/sets/ (external link)
www.Marko-Photo.com (external link)

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 16, 2011 17:19 |  #5

Do you really want to shoot this wedding? If the answer is yes- give them the original quoted price. If you'd rather not shoot it, or don't want to shoot it for the original quoted price- tell them your prices have gone up and since they never paid a retainer they weren't locked into that price, and the new price is what you can offer them. You risk losing this wedding, but then at least you don't have to shoot at a pay you're not comfortable with anymore.

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

rgrebby
THREAD ­ STARTER
654 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 16, 2011 17:35 |  #6

Im at the point where I dont need to shoot it, I dont really want the hassle as they seem like they will try and get something for nothing... ie, complain about perfectly good photos and so on.

Ive told them what the price will be and if they dont accept that then im walking. Its July so i'll possibly get another booking for that day.

Time will tell if they reply or not.

Canon 5D MKII
Canon 24-70mm f2.8L
Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS
Canon 85mm 1.8

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 16, 2011 17:52 |  #7

Sounds like you already know what to do! If they're going to be that big of a PITA at least you'll get paid decently.

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,981 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 16, 2011 22:58 |  #8

"I'm sorry but I don't split time, as we often use that time to photograph details and prepare for the reception. Prices are as per our current price list. Please let me know if you wish to book on these terms.

Warm regards,

You"

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

beegeeboy
304 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 17, 2011 03:09 |  #9

rgrebby wrote in post #12235508 (external link)
Well I had asked them if they wanted to go ahead with it and never heard anything. I contacted them again to see if they were interested in me doing their wedding. About 9 months had past between contact so I didnt expect them to still need my services.

Ah I see. If that's the case then I agree with everyone else and Tim puts it very succinctly!

David

Gear: A box with a hole; some tubes with glass in 'em
SmugMug (external link)

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 17, 2011 05:54 |  #10

My price is my price, it changes over time, and any moment I'm not shooting is still paid. I don't think any of us shoot during dinner (they don't make for nice pictures and we should be eating, too) and we all get paid for that time.

I just wouldn't make it more complicated than this.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

rgrebby
THREAD ­ STARTER
654 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 17, 2011 06:37 |  #11

They replied and told me that they thought as its only 5mins down the road (its not, its 30mins as they dont know where I live now...some mates huh??) and that they didnt see the point in there being a photographer there for 2 hours while they eat.

I told them that I take that time to save pictures and do location shots and so on.

They are having a think about it but honestly, im not worried if they dont want me to do it.

Canon 5D MKII
Canon 24-70mm f2.8L
Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS
Canon 85mm 1.8

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,617 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 17, 2011 06:56 |  #12

mbloof wrote in post #12235594 (external link)
Strike#3: Wants time to be 'split coverage' (great deal for them, not so much for you)

there's no discount for them here - it's not like you can make up that time with another shoot while they eat!
Whether they want you for the whole day or not, they are tying you up for the day - then throw some extra expenses on your part (driving away and back, etc...)...

EOS R / 7D2 / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

mbloof
101 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 17, 2011 10:08 |  #13

SMP_Homer wrote in post #12238388 (external link)
there's no discount for them here - it's not like you can make up that time with another shoot while they eat!
Whether they want you for the whole day or not, they are tying you up for the day - then throw some extra expenses on your part (driving away and back, etc...)...

Exactly!

While around here a 2-hour dinner seems overly long (more like 1/2hr is more like it), we could be; setting up/taking down/moving lights, getting detail/venue shots and the 'toast' happens when the best man is finished eating and everyone is still seated, (noone seems to look around to see if the photographer is ready or not).

Marko
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mbloof/sets/ (external link)
www.Marko-Photo.com (external link)

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 17, 2011 15:48 |  #14

You're not a cashier at the local supermarket and you're not paid by the hour. I'm sure like most of us, you take one wedding a day and that's your day rate.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

caught14
194 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 27, 2011 10:56 as a reply to  @ Peacefield's post |  #15

Some great advice here, and I would second what everyone else has said. I would highly recommend against splitting time...that is a slippery slope. I've always been firm about not splitting time. Once I actually had a bride who wanted me to start with getting ready pictures at her house for about an hour, and then drive to the wedding venue that was about 15 minutes away from her house. She asked if she could bank that time to drive from her house to the wedding venue (15 minutes) and use it somewhere else. Seriously?

I doubt that it will take 2 hours for them to eat. Depending on the situation I would guess 45 minutes give or take. That gives you just enough time to grab a bite yourself, set up lights, backup pics, etc. Or as others mentioned (and Tim put it so well) to simply capture details and venue shots.

For the sake of the friendship you might be better off passing on the opportunity and looking for another booking that day. Even if they book at your new rates and don't split time, doing weddings for friends can sometimes create hard feelings in the relationship if everything doesn't go well. Good luck!

Colling Photography (external link)
Cameras & Lenses - Canon 5DMkII x 3 | 30D | 24
L | 35L | 45 TS | 50L | 85IIL | 135L | 16-35IIL | 24-105L | 70-200L
www.collingphotogaller​y.com (external link)

sponsored links

2,727 views & 0 likes for this thread
wedding photo quote...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.