Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 27 Apr 2011 (Wednesday) 14:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

monopod for 70-200mk2

0.0f
179 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 27, 2011 14:48 |  #1

hi everyone

im looking to get a nice light weight monopod for my 70-200. want something which is quick to put into action and easy to move around.

EOS 5D MK3 - 24-70 MK2

sponsored links
simonjs
57 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 27, 2011 15:51 |  #2

I use the Gitzo GM2541 monopod.

wookiee2cu
614 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 27, 2011 16:10 |  #3

I've got one of these manfrottos: http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …eoTec_Monopod_D​eluxe.html (external link)

It's nice because there are no screws, knobs or levers to tighten and you can do everything with 1 hand. It weighs 1.76 lbs and supports 17.6 lbs. I also got a manfrotto 234RC tilt/swivel quick release: http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …Swivel_Tilt_Hea​d_for.html (external link) This way I can get the camera on and off quickly.

yourdoinitwrong
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 27, 2011 16:47 as a reply to  @ wookiee2cu's post |  #4

I use a Manfrotto 679B. It's lightweight and inexpensive (less than $50) and will support plenty of weight, depending on the head you put on it.

5D4 w/BG-E20, 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8L IS Macro, Sigma 50 f/1.4
Full List

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,140 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Apr 27, 2011 19:15 as a reply to  @ yourdoinitwrong's post |  #5

I used a Manfrotto 681B for years and was quite satisfied with all the parameters of this pod... except for the size when folded. It was too big to put in my check-on airlines bag and airlines mostly will not allow you to carry a monopod aboard the flight because it is considered as a "weaponlike instrument" I had the choice of getting a new suitcase, a new monopod or simply traveling without the pod.

The 681B can easily support a 400mm f/5.6L lens on a Manfrotto Gimbal mount and could certainly support your 70-200mm Mk-ii.

I decided that I wanted a monopod on my trip to China last year and that it would be less expensive to sell the 681B and buy a new monopod than to buy a new suitcase.

I now use a Calumet 8103 4-section Carbon Fiber Monopod which I bought new (on-sale) at my local Calumet store in Escondido, CA. It is equipped with a Kirk MPA-1 Arca Compatible Swivel Head which allows me to take advantage of all my Arca Compatible camera and lens plates, including my RRS L-plates.

The Calumet has about the same capacity as the 681B, folds shorter and weighs a bit less. However, it is about twice as expensive. I do consider it money well spent. I like the calumet twist locks over the flip locks of the Manfrotto because I can carry the pod in a belt loop more easily. The pod also comes with a Calumet carrying bag but, when the MPA-1 is installed, the bag cannot be zipped close.

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

Savas ­ K
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 27, 2011 19:52 |  #6

I'm using a Gitz 5561T. Folds to 16 inches, extends to 62, holds 55 pounds, weighs a pound and a half. You can pole vault with this thing and it won't collapse.

sponsored links

1,101 views & 0 likes for this thread
monopod for 70-200mk2
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.