Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 25 Apr 2011 (Monday) 20:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Replacing HDD - Lightroom Question

pxchoi
Goldmember
1,146 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 25, 2011 20:31 |  #1

I've recently moved my entire workflow to Lightroom and I have to say that I love it.

However, the HDD on my laptop is almost at capacity and I'd like to replace with something that has more storage around 750GB and at 7200RPM.

I've been looking at Western Digital (external link)

My question is, what is the best way to move my pictures over without screwing up my catalog. I own a 2010 15" Macbook Pro i5, a 1TB external HDD, and I back up my entire computer using Time Machine.

If you use Time Machine to back up an entire computer, install the new HDD, install the OS and use Time Machine to restore my computer, everything should be intact the way that they are before the HDD install, correct?

Patrick Choi
Portfolio (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)
EOS 7D | 580EX II | 10-22mm f3.5-f4.5 | 17-55mm f/2.8 IS |70-200mm f/2.8L IS II
For Sale: 17-55mm f/2.8 IS | 10-22mm f3.5-f4.5

sponsored links
nate42nd
767 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 25, 2011 23:58 |  #2

If time machine works the same as Windows 7 imaging it will be exactly the same. A clone.

If it's not then use a third party imaging program like Macrium or Acronis. There are many others but I don't know what is compatible with the file system Apple uses. Windows uses NTFS but Apple uses FAT or FAT32 I believe.

Anyway, make sure Time Machine images the drive exactly not just the files and folders but the entire disk image and just transfer it to the new disk. I have done it a million times with Windows but never Apple. Good luck. It's not too hard. The first time is just scary.

7D - - 17-55 F/2.8 - 24-105 F/4L - 100mm F/2.8 - 50mm F/1.8 - S95 / To see all click here
My Flickr (external link)

csondagar
792 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Apr 26, 2011 00:20 as a reply to  @ nate42nd's post |  #3
bannedPermanently

I recently did exactly what you are asking. Follow Helen Bradley's instructions: http://www.digital-photography-school.com/moving-a-lightroom-catalog (external link). It's very straightforward.

My Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | 7D, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM | Speedlite 430EX | Reflector Disk 5-in-1 110cm

pxchoi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,146 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 26, 2011 02:31 |  #4

csondagar wrote in post #12293482 (external link)
I recently did exactly what you are asking. Follow Helen Bradley's instructions: http://www.digital-photography-school.com/moving-a-lightroom-catalog (external link). It's very straightforward.

Thanks for the tip.

Can anyone validate if Time Machine simply clones your HDD?

Patrick Choi

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 26, 2011 05:34 |  #5

nate42nd wrote in post #12293393 (external link)
Windows uses NTFS but Apple uses FAT or FAT32 I believe.

OSX can read and write FAT/FAT32
OSX can read NTFS and can be made to write it.
OSX uses HFS plus.

http://en.wikipedia.or​g …le_systems_unde​r_Mac_OS_X (external link)

pxchoi wrote in post #12293960 (external link)

No. It creates a folder "Backups.backupdb" which is accessable trough TimeMachine.
http://support.apple.c​om/kb/ht1427 (external link)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

KuroHouou
114 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 26, 2011 13:34 |  #6

pxchoi wrote in post #12293960 (external link)
Thanks for the tip.

Time Machine does have a complete copy of all your information on your computer. I would not call it a clone though as I would associate that as one single image file with everything inside that. I have used it when upgrading my HDD in my macbook pro. I just did one last time machine backup right before the upgrade. Then I replaced my HD, put in Snow Leopard, it asked if I had a time machine backup, I said yes and pointed it to the backup. Then it proceeded to install the OS on the new drive and restored my desktop and all my files like nothing had been changed. It worked amazingly well.

pxchoi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,146 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 26, 2011 15:05 |  #7

KuroHouou wrote in post #12296732 (external link)
Time Machine does have a complete copy of all your information on your computer. I would not call it a clone though as I would associate that as one single image file with everything inside that. I have used it when upgrading my HDD in my macbook pro. I just did one last time machine backup right before the upgrade. Then I replaced my HD, put in Snow Leopard, it asked if I had a time machine backup, I said yes and pointed it to the backup. Then it proceeded to install the OS on the new drive and restored my desktop and all my files like nothing had been changed. It worked amazingly well.

That's what I thought... I've replaced my computer before and I used Time Machine to restore everything, and my programs were intact as if I always had this computer.

I've been mostly a PC user, so this will all be brand new for me, hopefully it goes smoothly.

Patrick Choi

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,906 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 26, 2011 15:22 |  #8

Here's how you do it:

1. Put your new drive in a USB2 enclosure and connect it to your MBP.
2. Launch Disk Utility from your Applications/Utilities folder and initialize the drive as HFS+ Extended, case insensitive.
3. Download the free app Carbon Copy Cloner and run it to clone your internal hard drive to your new external hard drive. This can take several hours to complete.
4. Leave the new external drive connected and reboot while holding the Option key. After a few seconds you'll be presented with bootable volumes, which should include your new drive that's on the USB bus. Use the keyboard arrow keys to select it, then press Return and your MBP should boot. If it does, then the cloning process was successful.
5. Swap the new drive for the old drive and you should be done.

Do you use your optical drive? If not, you should consider replacing it with a second hard drive or SSD.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

czynot
198 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 27, 2011 16:10 as a reply to  @ Tony-S's post |  #9

To answer your question.
If you only have one drive (os and pictures are in one partition) than best way is to clone it. There are many cloning software available. You should not have your data stored in same partition anyway because if your o/s crashes or HDD fail? It will cost you alot to recover from bad drive. All drive will fail, just a matter of when.

My suggestion is to just keep your old drive for OS than add the new HDD for storage. Just cut and past your picture into new storage drive.

If you are anal like me? always backup. I recently upgrade my PC and move all my data into storage 4TB raid 1/0. I have 8TB drive raided. useable space is 4TB. mirrored redundant.

5D MKII, 24-70mm L, 18-55mm IS,70-200mm 2.8L IS, 50mm 1.8, 100mm Macro, 2-580EX

pxchoi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,146 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 27, 2011 21:25 |  #10

czynot wrote in post #12304725 (external link)
To answer your question.
If you only have one drive (os and pictures are in one partition) than best way is to clone it. There are many cloning software available. You should not have your data stored in same partition anyway because if your o/s crashes or HDD fail? It will cost you alot to recover from bad drive. All drive will fail, just a matter of when.

My suggestion is to just keep your old drive for OS than add the new HDD for storage. Just cut and past your picture into new storage drive.

If you are anal like me? always backup. I recently upgrade my PC and move all my data into storage 4TB raid 1/0. I have 8TB drive raided. useable space is 4TB. mirrored redundant.

I own a laptop, not a desktop and I do back up my Hard Drive. I won't be replacing my optical drive for a hard drive.

Patrick Choi

sponsored links

1,178 views & 0 likes for this thread
Replacing HDD - Lightroom Question
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.