Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
Thread started 27 Apr 2011 (Wednesday) 16:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

All caps -- can a rule be made?

Mistabernie
'Camera Unicorn McSparkles'..
2,738 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 27, 2011 16:14 |  #1

Hi all -

On another board I frequent, thread titles using all capital letters (and usually post/responses too) are considered against the rules. I didnt find anything via searching (though I didn't have as much time as normal to do a thorough search) and was wondering if it's ever been considered to make it against the rules to disallow the use of all caps in thread titles, etc.

The reason is fairly simple -- it's unprofessional, and I actually find it annoying to read titles (and entire posts) in all caps. Also, dont get me started about posts that (over)use punctuation marks in titles, etc, as I can only wage one battle at a time, but not surprisingly, I'm not a fan of that either.

FYI, this isnt a personal attack towards anyone that has done so lately, just an actual suggestion for review.

Thanks!
-MB

Donate if you love POTN! | Smugmug (external link) | Gear List & POTN Marketplace Feedback
Feel free to call me Bernie.
LIVING PROOF WHY YOU DON'T MENTION THE TITLE FAIRY...

sponsored links
scrumpy
Goldmember
3,664 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Apr 27, 2011 16:54 |  #2

No more new rules please, I like it as it is...

David: Canon EOS 400D - Canon EF70-300mm f/4-55.6 IS USM -Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 DC Macro - Sigma 50-500 'Bigma' - Speedlite 580EX 11 - Better Beamer
Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy ;)

asysin2leads
I'm kissing arse
6,329 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 28, 2011 04:05 |  #3

Mistabernie wrote in post #12304751 (external link)
...and I actually find it annoying to read titles (and entire posts) in all caps.
-MB

Then don't read them. What's even more unprofessional is those who type in "text" lingo. If they start making rules for every little annoyance, this place would be horrible.

Kevin
https://www.google.com ….com&ctz=Americ​a/New_York (external link)

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,167 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 28, 2011 07:12 |  #4

asysin2leads wrote in post #12308179 (external link)
If they start making rules for every little annoyance, this place would be horrible.

Exactly. What annoys you doesn't annoy others, and vice-versa. If you accounted for everybody's annoyances, you would not be able to post.

Learn to overlook it because you may not know there is a reason behind it. A while back I did long-term online business with a gentleman who always emailed in all caps. When the subject finally came up, I found out he did so because he had lost an arm in an accident and was typing with one hand. He had no choice.

Website (external link) |

Mistabernie
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,738 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 28, 2011 08:12 |  #5

asysin2leads wrote in post #12308179 (external link)
Then don't read them. What's even more unprofessional is those who type in "text" lingo. If they start making rules for every little annoyance, this place would be horrible.

So, how exactly do you not read a thread title in all caps when it kind of sits there glaring at you? bw! Yeah, I agree, text lingo shouldn't be used either, but again, one thing at a time.

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #12308610 (external link)
Exactly. What annoys you doesn't annoy others, and vice-versa. If you accounted for everybody's annoyances, you would not be able to post.

Learn to overlook it because you may not know there is a reason behind it. A while back I did long-term online business with a gentleman who always emailed in all caps. When the subject finally came up, I found out he did so because he had lost an arm in an accident and was typing with one hand. He had no choice.

All caps because of one arm? No offense or anything, but a friend of mine only has one arm and he doesn't type in all caps. Does having only one arm put the 'caps lock' button out of reach? If you were to say that you had a friend who was legally blind but could still technically 'see' and read (such as a couple of other friends of mine) and it helped them to see posts, then I think I'd agree more with something like that.

There have actually been studies that indicate that passages of text written in all caps are actually more strenuous and harder to read than those with either proper capitalization or no capitalization (I dont have the link(s) readily available, but I can try to locate them on request). Now, there are certain other things that I DO understand -- for example, I know someone that responds to all posts in bold. At first, I thought that was a bit annoying too, but she explained that it helps her with reading because she reads most sites off of RSS feeds on mobile devices.

I'm not saying that the mods need to swoop in and start swinging the banhammer because people are using all caps or too much punctuation in a title, and I'm not insinuating that the mods needs to create more rules and turn the forums into a prison mentality. I'm sorry if I offended people by trying to make a suggestion that could lead to the forums appearing more professional. I'll simply forward said suggestions straight to Pekka or Skip in the future.

Donate if you love POTN! | Smugmug (external link) | Gear List & POTN Marketplace Feedback

dan220
526 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 28, 2011 08:35 as a reply to  @ Mistabernie's post |  #6

Don't know what is unprofessional about it, but if it bothered me I would just scroll past it. I think that critique should be left for more important things like pictures not someone's way of typing...... sigh

Canon T6s, T4i, G15, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 18-135is STM, Tamron 70-200 G2, Tamron 70-300, ProOptic 8mm f3.5, Canon 100mm 2.8 macro, 17[/COLOR]-55is, 55-250is STM, Nifty Fifty, 430ex ll.
M-Rock Arches 528.

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 28, 2011 08:43 |  #7

I don't think we need a rule about it. It isn't that big an issue here. People who post threads in all caps are quickly put in their place by other posters....

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
20,886 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2004

Apr 28, 2011 08:51 |  #8

Mistabernie wrote in post #12308812 (external link)
I'll simply forward said suggestions straight to Pekka or Skip in the future.

Please just do what you did here. Pekka and the rest of the mod team will see it here. Maybe we do not respond to every single thread but that does not mean it goes by unnoticed.

As for the suggestion. I seriously doubt we want to make a rule for this because it is not that big an issue. If it ever become an issue then there migth be a software solution for it but a rule I doubt it.

EDITING OF MY PHOTOS IS NOT ALLOWED

Duckhunter250
252 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 28, 2011 09:50 |  #9

Life is too short----get over it.
If reading something in all caps ruins your day, your day wasn't looking very promising anyway.

60D|EF-S 18-55IS|EF-S 55-250IS|EF-S 18-135IS stm|EF 85-1.8|Tamron 17-50 2.8 non VC |Tamron SP 70-300 Di VC USD | YN 465|Domke F-3x

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 28, 2011 10:20 |  #10

I don't like it either but it doesn't bother me (at least the title). If the entire post is in all caps I move on and don't read it.

Don't think this should be a rule.

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

Mistabernie
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,738 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 28, 2011 11:05 |  #11

Grammar/syntax errors aren't a big deal (and I wouldn't classify all caps as one). Obviously English isn't everybody's first language, and this is an international forum.

The sentiment seems to be A) that we dont need more rules or B) that it's not a widespread problem and there shouldn't need to be any action taken. No comment about A, but I can agree with B- it's not a widespread problem.

The one thing I'll say is that I'd rather have it be a rule than have people come in 'be put in place by other users'.

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,167 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 28, 2011 15:45 |  #12

Mistabernie wrote in post #12309808 (external link)
The sentiment seems to be A) that we dont need more rules or B) that it's not a widespread problem and there shouldn't need to be any action taken....

... and C) it's not that critical an issue and certainly not something to get upset about.

For years I've noticed an even wider-spread problem with grammar issues - things such as contractions (your / you're - its / it's, etc.). It's much more frequent than caps.

But when I read a post that uses "your" when it should have been "you're," I simply interpret it as I know it should have been written and move on. I certainly don't let it ruin my day. ;)

Website (external link) |

luciddreamer
861 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 28, 2011 21:09 |  #13

It's annoying but I feel this place has plenty of rules as it is.

materialism ~
preoccupation with or emphasis on material objects, comforts, and considerations, with a disinterest in or rejection of spiritual, intellectual, or cultural values.

Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 28, 2011 21:15 |  #14

I don't believe this is an issue here, as I've read very many posts and can't recall seeing one in all caps ???

I have seen it happen elsewhere and it does annoy me and so I'm fairly certain I'd have noticed if it was occurring here. In any event, I'm not in favour of a ruling about it.

David

David

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Apr 28, 2011 21:24 |  #15

You're proposing we stop something that's been happening since the first keyboard came out?

NOT GONNA HAPPEN!

sponsored links

2,457 views & 0 likes for this thread
All caps -- can a rule be made?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.