Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 27 Apr 2011 (Wednesday) 16:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

working + licensing fees.... comment please

Jemuel ­ Stephenson
45 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 27, 2011 16:54 |  #1

Hi all,
I might be doing a seven week assignment for a large insurance company in Boston. They want photos of about thirty programs they are sponsoring. I would be shooting 4-6 hours per day..... the photos would be put on their website and/or printed to advertise their programs... What should I charge? I'm thinking of charging between twenty-five and thirty-five thousand US dollars for shooting time and transportation, but I also want to figure out what to charge for licensing the individual images themselves.
Should I charge for both work and licensing? What should be the rate per image, for licensing for a year if they only post the images on their website at about one-fourth page size? would I charge for every website they post them on? if so, how much?

I have been doing a bit of research, and I figured that it could be around $698 for each photo licensed for a minimum of 3 months and taking up 1/4 of the page http://www.d-65.com …pherresource/pr​icing.html (external link) They also say that I should charge a minimum of $225 per image, for non-exclusive rights

Shoot for Peace 8-)

sponsored links
MadlyAlive
335 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 27, 2011 16:59 |  #2

I found this in another thread yesterday: http://photographersin​dex.com/price-adv-calc.htm (external link)

Not sure if it will help you out or not.

5D Mark III Gripped ~ 7D Gripped ~ EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM ~ EF 24-70 f/2.8L USM ~ EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM ~ EF 50mm f/1.8 II ~ 550EX ~ 600EX-RT

Jemuel ­ Stephenson
THREAD ­ STARTER
45 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 27, 2011 17:08 |  #3

Yes thanks, it does help :) should I charge this in addition to my working fee of $700-$1,000 per day?

Shoot for Peace 8-)

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 27, 2011 19:50 as a reply to  @ Jemuel Stephenson's post |  #4

Some good info here - https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1020872

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 28, 2011 02:54 |  #5

Jemuel Stephenson wrote in post #12305066 (external link)
Yes thanks, it does help :) should I charge this in addition to my working fee of $700-$1,000 per day?

So 20 images a day = 20 * $700 = $14,000
Plus Day Rate = $1,000

In all $15,000 a day, 5 days a week for 7 weeks

Grand Total - $525,000

Can I have some of whatever you are smoking please m8. From the other post you set up YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE THE KIT TO DO THE JOB YET!!!

If you get it - great and good for you.

Please post back with what you actually agree with them at the end.

TopHatMoments
Goldmember
1,173 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 28, 2011 08:18 |  #6

Keep in mind that highly run commercials, with the still photographs on brochures, posters and billboards- for a major cell phone company barely netted just under $240,000. That's for a heavily run add campaign, so if you can pull that kinda breed from a stingy insurance company, with off the shelf gear, good luck!

I know business look at it as a tax deduction and it is for them but, they also look at in " how much return will it NET them? " the want better than a 300% return in the first six months, more if they can get it.

Canon to PhotoShop, “Beam me up”! LR3 set course for CS5, Warp speed 64!___ ((dpp___/==***^***

L5intoR5/Cr
106 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 28, 2011 09:09 |  #7

Jemuel Stephenson wrote in post #12305066 (external link)

If you can get it take it!

Most of the time if the client is paying you a day rate to shoot for them they are expecting some rights to be granted or a price cut on the licensing of the images (some clients expect ownership so go figure on "most of the time").

My bid on the job would be more like:

$1,000.00/day
$300/image for 6 month exclusive minimum usage license of 150 images
or
$500/image for 12 month exclusive minimum usage license of 150 images

all with at 35% retainer

That puts you with a fixed minimum of $80,000.00 from the job with $28,000.00 up front or $110,000.00 with $38,500.00 up front.

If they end up with licensing the 700 images that nightstalker calculated then you're still rolling large. Odds are pretty good they will want between 3 and 5 images per program so the 150 images over 30 programs is much more realistic for them to choose from/actually use.

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,354 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 28, 2011 10:50 |  #8

Before beginning negotiations, sit back and think like your potential customer. Thoughts may go something like this.

• Let's not go to one of the top shooters in Boston since they charge so much
  • They also seem to think they own the pictures they take of our programs on our dime
  • Let's just find ourselves a photographer who we can hire as a regular independent contractor, by the hour, travel and per diem
  • Be sure to watch the budget! Remember what that video guy did to us on the annual meeting.
  • Maybe we can find someone in house.

Whoops?

None of this may prove relevant, but you do yourself a major favor by being ready to hear some things you may not like. That allows to stay focused on what you really want while also meeting enough to their needs/wants to get the gig.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 28, 2011 13:24 |  #9

AZGeorge wrote in post #12309713 (external link)
Before beginning negotiations, sit back and think like your potential customer. Thoughts may go something like this.
  • Let's not go to one of the top shooters in Boston since they charge so much
  • They also seem to think they own the pictures they take of our programs on our dime
  • Let's just find ourselves a photographer who we can hire as a regular independent contractor, by the hour, travel and per diem
  • Be sure to watch the budget! Remember what that video guy did to us on the annual meeting.
  • Maybe we can find someone in house.
Whoops?

None of this may prove relevant, but you do yourself a major favor by being ready to hear some things you may not like. That allows to stay focused on what you really want while also meeting enough to their needs/wants to get the gig.

I actually think that this is closer to the mark.

The 20 images a day I based my earlier calculation on was mentioned by the OP in the original (or was it the second) post on the subject.

My personal take on this is that they would be looking for someone to accept a "work for hire" arrangement whereby for a flat daily fee + expenses they will get all images taken.

If they were to recruit someone to do this they would probably comfortably get someone for $60K a year or $5K per month (and probably less).

So on this basis cost of project would be about $10K.

As they are employing a freelancer they will expect this to be a bit higher so maybe $15K + expenses for 2 months work.

I certainly do not feel that they will have budgeted large amounts of money for this job.

If all they want is 5 images from each of 30 programs then this could be done in considerably less than 5 hours a day 5 days a week for 7 weeks.

Jemuel ­ Stephenson
THREAD ­ STARTER
45 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 28, 2011 17:08 |  #10

Nightstalker wrote in post #12308036 (external link)
Can I have some of whatever you are smoking please m8. From the other post you set up YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE THE KIT TO DO THE JOB YET!!!

If you get it - great and good for you.

Please post back with what you actually agree with them at the end.

I do have the equipment to do the job, I just don't own it, I have been renting equipment. If I get the job, I will go ahead and buy my own with the money I make. They emailed me today and are discussing my proposal among themselves

Shoot for Peace 8-)

Jemuel ­ Stephenson
THREAD ­ STARTER
45 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 28, 2011 17:20 |  #11

L5intoR5/Cr wrote in post #12309130 (external link)
If you can get it take it!

Most of the time if the client is paying you a day rate to shoot for them they are expecting some rights to be granted or a price cut on the licensing of the images (some clients expect ownership so go figure on "most of the time").

My bid on the job would be more like:

$1,000.00/day
$300/image for 6 month exclusive minimum usage license of 150 images
or
$500/image for 12 month exclusive minimum usage license of 150 images

all with at 35% retainer

That puts you with a fixed minimum of $80,000.00 from the job with $28,000.00 up front or $110,000.00 with $38,500.00 up front.

If they end up with licensing the 700 images that nightstalker calculated then you're still rolling large. Odds are pretty good they will want between 3 and 5 images per program so the 150 images over 30 programs is much more realistic for them to choose from/actually use.

from what I can see this is what I feel might be more appropriate, however it's true that some corporations might want to cater toward someone less expensive, but then again, you usually get what you pay for...

Shoot for Peace 8-)

sponsored links

1,003 views & 0 likes for this thread
working + licensing fees.... comment please
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.