Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 27 Apr 2011 (Wednesday) 21:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

To much ... ??

Jordan'sDigitalDreams
89 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 27, 2011 21:47 |  #1

I haven't been shooting and using RAW very long and I can't figure out why my skin tones loose that sharpness detail whenver I process them. I usually pull them straight into CS5 and then run may a few modifications on them I normally sharpen each photo to maybe 30% and add noise reduction to 8-12% but this makes my skin tones all mellowed out causing my photos to loose their tiny details.. The first picture here is my processed RAW photo and the second is straight JPEG from the camer it hasn't had any adjustments. Can somebody please help me figure out why I get the smothed over look? I don't want it I just want to have RAW controls and keep all my origional in my case right now better deatiled JPEGS... Another thing I seem to have trouble with is I don't think I'm processing my colors right, I'd of liked for this RAW to be the same shade of red as the JPEG but I never could get it to come out right without messing something else up.. Should I be shooting a hight f-stop in the studio to help my clarity?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 60D Gripped, 28-135 IS, 70-200 2.8, Sigma 50-500
580EX II, PW Mini & Flex

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,492 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 28, 2011 01:01 |  #2

I normally sharpen each photo to maybe 30% and add noise reduction to 8-12% but this makes my skin tones all mellowed out causing my photos to loose their tiny details.. The first picture here is my processed RAW photo and the second is straight JPEG from the camer it hasn't had any adjustments. Can somebody please help me figure out why I get the smothed over look?

Because that's what NR does. It doesn't distinguish between noise and acne or other detail. Mask off places where you don't want the NR or don't apply it automatically and needlessly.

...I'd of liked for this RAW to be the same shade of red as the JPEG but I never could get it to come out right without messing something else up.

A lot of people seem to regard the jpg as the "true" image that the RAW editing has to emulate. It's not, it is just one possible rendering among infinite possibilities. However, if it is the rendering you prefer you shouldn't be using ACR. You should use the same software that made the jpg - DPP.

Elie / אלי

czynot
198 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 29, 2011 18:00 |  #3

if I understand correctly. You saying that your jeps look different than your raw file? and you are trying to match the ACR/raw to the jpeg?
There are alot of post on this. Sorry dont have the link.
Reason your raw look different than your jpeg because Raw is untouch, Jpeg is processed with your user setting on the camer. The camera applied your sharpness, contrast, and tone to the jpeg.
Raw is like film negitives (Unprocess).
Anytime you do noise reduction and low ISo, you will soften the image. Use more light. take a better picture and you wont need noise reduction.

5D MKII, 24-70mm L, 18-55mm IS,70-200mm 2.8L IS, 50mm 1.8, 100mm Macro, 2-580EX

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,492 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 30, 2011 06:20 |  #4

Reason your raw look different than your jpeg because Raw is untouch

An untouched RAW doesn't look like anything, it's not an image.

Raw is like film negitives (Unprocess).

Precisely. It needs some processing to be done before you can see anything. With work ACR processing can resemble camera processing, sort of, but it takes work.

Elie / אלי

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,167 views & 0 likes for this thread
To much ... ??
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.