Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 21 Apr 2011 (Thursday) 13:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Good Android phone camera?

SarasotaTim
143 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 26, 2011 08:44 |  #16

My HTC Droid Eris takes pretty crap photos, which is totally to be expected.

I've never had a phone that takes decent pics, my buddy's EVO takes good ones, and my wife's iPhone 4 takes excellent photos for a phone, of course.

Canon EOS 60D
Canon AE-1 35mm
50mm 1.8, 24mm 2.8

sponsored links
alabama1980
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 26, 2011 08:58 |  #17

I'm not overly disappointed with my Thunderbolts camera. The camera on the X sucks.

Name's Andy! :)
Facebook (external link)
My 500px (external link)
asheltonphoto.com (external link)

SarasotaTim
143 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 26, 2011 15:19 |  #18

How are you liking the TBolt? I haven't gotten a chance to get over to a Verizon store yet to try it out.........for my contract being up in December, it's down to the TBolt or the iPhone...I love Android, but not sure if I love it enough to compete with my love of iOS...I know the Incredible 2 is coming out soon, but I've heard it's not much more than a camera update with some screen changes.

alabama1980 wrote in post #12295048 (external link)
I'm not overly disappointed with my Thunderbolts camera. The camera on the X sucks.

Canon EOS 60D
Canon AE-1 35mm
50mm 1.8, 24mm 2.8

alabama1980
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 26, 2011 15:31 |  #19

SarasotaTim wrote in post #12297383 (external link)
How are you liking the TBolt? I haven't gotten a chance to get over to a Verizon store yet to try it out.........for my contract being up in December, it's down to the TBolt or the iPhone...I love Android, but not sure if I love it enough to compete with my love of iOS...I know the Incredible 2 is coming out soon, but I've heard it's not much more than a camera update with some screen changes.

So far I love it. I read so much bad stuff about the battery life that I almost passed it over, but with the stock battery I get a full day of use, which is all I need. That's with browsing the net, a little Pandora if I'm in my truck, lots of texting, a few calls....to me it holds up well, but I don't guess I'm what you would call a "power user" so YMMV!

The camera does better (but not good) in low light compared to the X. If you have some decent sunlight, it's not bad.

I'm not crazy about the quality of the speakerphone though. It almost sounds muffled a bit. Not a dealbreaker for me, but a mild disappointment.

Here are a few shots from the camera. IMO, it doesn't touch the iPhone camera, but I do like it 1000% better than the Droid X camera

http://www.flickr.com …0/sets/72157626​461274459/ (external link)

Facebook (external link)
My 500px (external link)

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 26, 2011 15:58 |  #20
bannedPermanent ban

Galaxy S vibrant

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

stayhumble
Goldmember
1,328 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 26, 2011 16:14 |  #21
bannedPermanent ban

ask yourself honestly. How good of a camera do you really need on your phone? If your expectations are high..pick up a used point and shoot for $40. Far better quality than any phone is or will be for a bit.

the phone already does everything else. let it be. I use my phone to calculate DOF distance, tune my guitar (better than my own guitar tuner), traffic report, weather, I can even talk to the phone and it will type a whole paragraph exactly what i said... barely even touching the surface but thats phenomenal so far.

There are no rules for a good photograph and there are no excuses for a bad one.
SELLING:40D, 50D, 10-22, Tamron 17-50 non VC, 5D, 14MM II, 24-105, 70-200 f/4 IS, 430EX, 530EX (ALL MINT W/Box)

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 26, 2011 16:29 |  #22

I agree with your opinion on Nokia phones. The Nokia N8 has the best camera available: 12 megapixels, Carl Zeiss optics, etc. Too bad they've really screwed up the rollout of their new firmware.

See Nokia N8 photo samples here: http://conversations.n​okia.com …-sample-images-untouched/ (external link)

DarkPhantom wrote in post #12279355 (external link)
lol, you guys don't know phone cameras unless you've tried the nokia cameras.

I had my N95 when it first came out, blew everything out of the water until I dropped it 3 years later. Carl Zeiss optics with an actual shutter...pictures were amazing.

check out the photos from the N95 camera which is several years old. I think 2007. Until recently, there were few cameras phone that had quality as good as the nokias, until the Iphones came out.

http://www.flickr.com/​groups/n95usersdotcom/ (external link)

The Iphone 4's camera shots were superb, but that was also when Nokia had their N8 come out - they used an N8 instead of an dSLR for a magazine shoot:
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=VodhwvJZfL0 (external link)

Gear List

elogical
Goldmember
1,217 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 26, 2011 16:47 |  #23

RTPVid wrote in post #12294387 (external link)
Have you tried different camera apps?

actually no, do you have one you recommend?

Gear

alabama1980
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 26, 2011 18:24 |  #24

elogical wrote in post #12297915 (external link)

Not that you asked me, but check out "Vignette". It costs a few bucks, but it's my favorite app I've found so far.

Facebook (external link)
My 500px (external link)

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 26, 2011 20:43 |  #25

elogical wrote in post #12297915 (external link)

I use the default Camera version 2.2 that came pre-installed on my Droid 2 Global, but I don't take many pictures with my phone.

You can google for "best android camera app" and see what comes up, or check some of the android forums.

Tom

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 26, 2011 21:32 |  #26
bannedPermanent ban

http://www.flickr.com …5610282369/in/p​hotostream (external link)

heres a shot of the aurora sort of... (handheld) with the galaxy S :D

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

equach206
307 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 26, 2011 21:37 |  #27

alabama1980 wrote in post #12298416 (external link)
Not that you asked me, but check out "Vignette". It costs a few bucks, but it's my favorite app I've found so far.

I have a HTC G2 and I think it has a pretty decent camera. It's not amazing, but it's better than carrying a P&S around. I often use the default camera for quick snapshots, but I have Vignette when I want to do something a bit more creative and I don't have my DSLR. It's a great app with a bunch of options for filters and shooting styles, and it only costs a few bucks.

5D | 50D | 60 f/2.8 Macro | 85 f/1.8 | 17-40 f/4L | 70-200 f/2.8L | 430EX
Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

elogical
Goldmember
1,217 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 27, 2011 21:46 |  #28

Thanks both for the suggestions, vignette and some of the others look much more capable than the default, I'll have to play around a little more before passing judgment... I still don't see myself using the camera on this a whole lot but it's nice to have it work the way you want for the times you do though.

Gear

DrPablo
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 27, 2011 22:03 |  #29

HTC Inspire droid camera is pretty good, though as expected noisy in low light.

Canon 5D Mark IV, 24-105L II, 17 TS-E f/4L, MPE 65, Sigma 50 f/1.4, Sigma 85 f/1.4, 100 f/2.8L, 135 f/2L, 70-200 f/4L, 400 L
Film gear: Agfa 8x10, Cambo 4x5, Noblex 150, Hasselblad 500 C/M

stunt4949
66 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 08, 2011 17:05 |  #30

HTC Evo has a great 8MP camera! Although I must say as with all "slow" (meaning non-slr) cameras, you have to hold it steady. Overall, I've been pretty impressed with the camera.

Canon 5D, 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM, 50mm f/1.8 II, 580 EX, Fong Lightsphere
Digital PRO-E Bracket, Lowepro SlingShot 200W
More to come!

sponsored links

3,477 views & 0 likes for this thread
Good Android phone camera?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.