Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Apr 2011 (Wednesday) 21:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Has anyone experienced this before?

dtli919
129 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 27, 2011 21:45 |  #1

Every so often (about 1/10 images) I get these weird pink images when I'm shooting in RAW. Shooting in jpg is fine oddly enough. I've used 3 different memory cards and they're all doing the same thing. The RAW images look perfectly fine on the camera, but once the files are transferred to my PC, a few would look like this:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i275.photobucke​t.com …jj284/davidli91​9/2-22.jpg (external link)

http://i275.photobucke​t.com …jj284/davidli91​9/1-26.jpg (external link)

http://i275.photobucke​t.com …jj284/davidli91​9/3-16.jpg (external link)

I did send it to Canon for repairs, but they said they couldn't replicate the issue and just sent my camera back. Any ideas what this could be?

Canon 5DMKII || 50mm f/1.2L || 24-70mm f/2.8L || 70-200mm f/2.8L IS V.II || 100mm 2.8L Macro || 430EX II
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 27, 2011 21:57 |  #2

First off, you can't look at the raw images on the camera, only the jpeg preview file.
These have all of the hallmarks of data corruption. This must have occurred:
- when the data was produced by the camera electronics/firmware (unlikely as Canon cannot replicate);
- during writing to the card (unlikely as several cards affected);
- during transfer to your computer (how was this done?);
- while on your computer (flakey disc drive or similar).

Whichever transfer method you use (serial or card reader), try the other.

Saint728
Goldmember
2,892 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 27, 2011 22:02 |  #3

This happens while its getting transfered to your computer's hard drive. Its happend to me too. I know this because I always download my images at the same time but to LR and iPhoto and I only saw this on some of my images in iPhoto but not in LR. I re-downloaded the card to iPhoto and they all came out fine.

Take Care,
Cheers, Patrick

Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III | 17-40mm f/4.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | 300mm f/4.0L IS
Click Here To See My Gear
Click here to see my Flickr (external link)
http://www.runryder.co​m/helicopter/gallery/9​019/ (external link)

fdw
96 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 27, 2011 22:08 |  #4

I found a similar problem and was getting ready to submit an enquiry. Attached are a couple of examples. The patterns show up on my RAW files viewed in CS5. Canon EOS 5D MkII. Mac system.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Dennis
www.denniswalton.zenfo​lio.com (external link)
EOS 5D Mark II and Mark III, 16-35 f2.8 L II USM , 24-105 f/3.5-4.5 L II USM , 70-200 f4.0 L USM plus 1.4x

dtli919
THREAD ­ STARTER
129 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 27, 2011 22:19 |  #5

xarqi wrote in post #12306809 (external link)
First off, you can't look at the raw images on the camera, only the jpeg preview file.
These have all of the hallmarks of data corruption. This must have occurred:
- when the data was produced by the camera electronics/firmware (unlikely as Canon cannot replicate);
- during writing to the card (unlikely as several cards affected);
- during transfer to your computer (how was this done?);
- while on your computer (flakey disc drive or similar).
Whichever transfer method you use (serial or card reader), try the other.

Thanks for the detailed explanation xarqi.

I used my PC's built-in card reader to transfer the files. I guess I'll try an external card reader or use a USB cable to transfer the images directly to my PC.

Saint728 wrote in post #12306840 (external link)
This happens while its getting transfered to your computer's hard drive. Its happend to me too. I know this because I always download my images at the same time but to LR and iPhoto and I only saw this on some of my images in iPhoto but not in LR. I re-downloaded the card to iPhoto and they all came out fine.
Take Care,
Cheers, Patrick

I'm using LR as well and that's where I'm seeing these corrupted images. It's extremely frustrating seeing how I know I shot some great images, but they turned out to being corrupted on the PC.

fdw wrote in post #12306873 (external link)
I have experienced something similar. Attached are a few examples. I need help with this as well.

Did you ever find a "fix" to this issue?

Canon 5DMKII || 50mm f/1.2L || 24-70mm f/2.8L || 70-200mm f/2.8L IS V.II || 100mm 2.8L Macro || 430EX II
flickr (external link)

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 27, 2011 23:56 as a reply to  @ dtli919's post |  #6

Occasionally, I see something like that (today, as a matter of fact). In my case, it is always the fault of DPP having a hiccup. I normally use ACR/PS, but sometimes use DPP to preview images while waiting for DNG converter to do its thing. When DPP starts acting quirky, I close and restart it and things usually work OK after that. I have had a couple instances where there was a read error when downloading images from the card.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

dtli919
THREAD ­ STARTER
129 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 28, 2011 00:30 |  #7

Bill Boehme wrote in post #12307451 (external link)
Occasionally, I see something like that (today, as a matter of fact). In my case, it is always the fault of DPP having a hiccup. I normally use ACR/PS, but sometimes use DPP to preview images while waiting for DNG converter to do its thing. When DPP starts acting quirky, I close and restart it and things usually work OK after that. I have had a couple instances where there was a read error when downloading images from the card.

I've never used DPP before so I'm guessing it's something related to Canon cameras in general. I'm speculating of course, but if this is happening to me with a T2i and others with 5DMkII and a 1DsMkIII, then shouldn't this be a serious issue that Canon should address?

flickr (external link)

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 28, 2011 03:26 |  #8

dtli919 wrote in post #12307578 (external link)
I've never used DPP before so I'm guessing it's something related to Canon cameras in general. I'm speculating of course, but if this is happening to me with a T2i and others with 5DMkII and a 1DsMkIII, then shouldn't this be a serious issue that Canon should address?

No.
This is more likely to be a card that's cr@pping itself, a cable problem or a communication problem.
It looks to be a classic case of data corruption.
The least likely problem is your camera.

Although it's happened on three cards, which tends to rule those out due to it happening on different cards, when was the last time you formatted them.
Do you usually format the cards after downloading the images or do you just delete the pics.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 28, 2011 14:04 |  #9

philwillmedia wrote in post #12308095 (external link)
No.
This is more likely to be a card that's cr@pping itself, a cable problem or a communication problem.
It looks to be a classic case of data corruption.
The least likely problem is your camera.

Although it's happened on three cards, which tends to rule those out due to it happening on different cards, when was the last time you formatted them.
Do you usually format the cards after downloading the images or do you just delete the pics.

I agree that it is not a camera problem since it does not show up when I use ACR/PS. I believe that the problem is with DPP software having some sort of memory problem since closing the application and restarting will fix the issue.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

keyframe14
Goldmember
1,369 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 28, 2011 14:08 |  #10

I've got a lot of pictures like this when I had my 40d, somehow if I was download them using the camera cable it would import like this. If I was taking the card off and upload using the card reader, it would upload without issues.

Facebook (external link)
www.albert-heisler.com  (external link)
500px (external link)
IG (external link)

sponsored links

1,879 views & 0 likes for this thread
Has anyone experienced this before?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.