Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 26 Apr 2011 (Tuesday) 03:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

ISO 1250 less noise than ISO 800?

gibsonla
Goldmember
1,009 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 26, 2011 03:01 |  #1

So after reading a couple reviews/tests it would seem that ISO 1250 offers less digital noise than ISO 800 in video.

I was just wondering if anyone has duplicated the same results in real practical applications? I have a low light shoot coming up (artificial light isn't an option) and am curious which one to shoot at.

Michael L. Solomon
DP/AC/Colorist
www.SolomonM.com (external link)

sponsored links
HansSteinert
419 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 26, 2011 03:19 |  #2

for video, you want to shoot 160, 320, 640, or 1250. Those give you the best noise performance.

BlueCadet3
369 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 28, 2011 00:19 |  #3

HansSteinert wrote in post #12294058 (external link)
for video, you want to shoot 160, 320, 640, or 1250. Those give you the best noise performance.

So, how about like ISO 100?

a n d r e w|c i o b a n a s i u
g e a r|m e (external link)

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 28, 2011 00:22 |  #4

gibsonla wrote in post #12294017 (external link)
So after reading a couple reviews/tests it would seem that ISO 1250 offers less digital noise than ISO 800 in video.

I was just wondering if anyone has duplicated the same results in real practical applications? I have a low light shoot coming up (artificial light isn't an option) and am curious which one to shoot at.

Any links please? I'd like to take a look

My Gearlist

gibsonla
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,009 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 28, 2011 00:25 |  #5

Here's one of a couple: http://marvelsfilm.wor​dpress.com …on-7d-noise-and-iso-test/ (external link)

I'll try and track down the other ones. An in-depth one is buried somewhere on the C5D forums

Michael L. Solomon
DP/AC/Colorist
www.SolomonM.com (external link)

LiberationFrequency
Goldmember
1,334 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 28, 2011 00:28 |  #6

gibsonla wrote in post #12307559 (external link)
Here's one of a couple: http://marvelsfilm.wor​dpress.com …on-7d-noise-and-iso-test/ (external link)

I'll try and track down the other ones. An in-depth one is buried somewhere on the C5D forums

I can find it, but also 5 pages later, there is evidence to the contrary... somewhat. Im gonna dig this one out again too but I did remember the numbers...

160, 320, 640, 1250, 2500, and 5000 are the sweet spots? Its not that they are the native isos, its because they are pulled isos if I remember right. Ill post back later since Im diving into the forum right now to find something similar.

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 28, 2011 00:31 |  #7

gibsonla wrote in post #12307559 (external link)

Thanks much--absolutely fascinating. ISO 160 performs better than ISO 100. Are these results unique to the 7d, or is this pattern a given on all Canon bodies? I'm going to store these facts away for future use :D

My Gearlist

Royston1
96 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 28, 2011 08:20 |  #8

Too bad the ISO on the 550D sucks

Please take time to check my channel.
www.youtube.com/street​deciplezonline (external link)

JPM ­ Photography
603 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 28, 2011 10:42 |  #9

while it is true that 160 has less noise than 100 and 200, you need to be careful because the highlights will clip much easier because you are pulling down the whole image.

60D gripped, T2i gripped, Tokina 12-24 f/4, Pentax SMC 50 f/1.4, Nikon Standard Speed Set: 24, 35, 85, 105, 135, 180, Canon 580ex, Calumet Genesis 200
jpmphotovideo.com (external link)
Please check out my film resume (external link) and contact me if you need a DP, AC, or PA for an Atlanta-based shoot.

sponsored links

3,377 views & 0 likes for this thread
ISO 1250 less noise than ISO 800?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.