Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 28 Apr 2011 (Thursday) 07:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Power solutions for 430EX II ?

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 28, 2011 12:37 |  #16

Rob Galbraith talked about some batteries he uses in 430EXII to shorten recycle.
Anything that plugs into the battery compartment will extend the number of shots but not shorten the recycle time.

Only way to do that is to find a battery that delivers more voltage. That's what the external packs for the 580EX accomplish. Its very high voltage via a special connection.

The batteries are some new chemical technology. I tried some in a 580EX. They shortened recycle time but also were good for only about a third the number of images compared to more widely used technologies.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

sponsored links
m.shalaby
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,443 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 28, 2011 12:40 as a reply to  @ dmward's post |  #17

^ So your saying no matter what battery I choose, I'm not going to speed up recycle times?

HughR
999 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 28, 2011 13:38 |  #18

I have used Panasonic Ni-MH rechargeable batteries in my 430EX for over a year and am completely satisfied with them. Recycle times are short and constant throughout almost the entire battery life. Also, they do not have a memory, so it is not necessary to shoot until they stop before recharging. I imagine some other Ni-MH batteries from other manufacturers do very well also, but I haven't checked them out. Here's a short quote from Panasonic's Ni-MH site:

"Ni-MH battery technology was developed to meet the increasing power demands of today’s portable devices.
Panasonic Ni-MH batteries offer more capacity compared to the same size Nickel Cadmium batteries. Due to their increased capacity and high energy density, users can expect a much longer running time per charge, reducing the need to constantly recharge the battery. Ni-MH features a consistent, stable power supply throughout each cycle so you’ll experience full power to the very end of every cycle."

Hugh
Canon 60D, Original Digital Rebel (2003)
EFS 15-85mm IS USM, EF 70-300mm IS USM, Tokina 11-16mm
Speedlite 430EX, Speedlite 430EX II,
Qbox 16 pro, Lastolite EZbox 24x24, Lumiquest Softbox III

dbdors
Goldmember
1,001 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 28, 2011 13:54 |  #19

m.shalaby wrote in post #12310398 (external link)
^ Right now, I'm going to have to stick with my 430EXII for a little while...

Please bear with me because this whole mAH thing is new to me.

So we have:

Powerex 2700 mAH
Imedion 2400 mAH
Eneloop 2000 mAH

What are the basic differences in terms of recycle time? None?
And its all about shelf life?

Sorry, this is all very new to me. I always just purchased alkalines :o

I'm no expert on Recycle, all I know is I like the low discharge, recycle time and battery life I get with the Imedions.

I have started to looking at the NiZn's lately. The NiZn seem to be the next rage in fast recycle. My only concern is the voltage is higer than 1.5 volts (I think the review measured 1.85V): http://strobist.blogsp​ot.com …offer-lightning-fast.html (external link)

I counted 13 pops before that thing overheated.!!!!

Darrell
My SmugMug Nature/Landscape Gallery (external link)
Gear List

m.shalaby
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,443 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 28, 2011 13:58 |  #20

dbdors wrote in post #12310882 (external link)
I'm no expert on Recycle, all I know is I like the low discharge, recycle time and battery life I get with the Imedions.

I have started to looking at the NiZn's lately. The NiZn seem to be the next rage in fast recycle. My only concern is the voltage is higer than 1.5 volts (I think the review measured 1.85V): http://strobist.blogsp​ot.com …offer-lightning-fast.html (external link)

would you feel comfortable leaving the 2400's in your flash all week long without charge, and then go out on a 4 hour shoot? or do you think you would charge them the night before just in case?

i'm kinda stuck betweent the 2700's and 2400's....

dbdors
Goldmember
1,001 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 28, 2011 14:08 |  #21

m.shalaby wrote in post #12310905 (external link)
would you feel comfortable leaving the 2400's in your flash all week long without charge, and then go out on a 4 hour shoot? or do you think you would charge them the night before just in case?

i'm kinda stuck betweent the 2700's and 2400's....

Not if I knew I was doing a 4 hour shoot. I would charge them the night before. But in that case, I have 16 Imedion AA's and a CP-E (old 6 cell version).

Darrell
Gear List

tolyD
723 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 28, 2011 14:28 |  #22

I have 3 sets of eneloops for my 580s and love them. They seem to less after charge forever and flash recharge is way faster then regular batteries. I got mine at Costco for a great deal. Check b&h for their customer review.

5D MkII | 35L | 50 1.4 | 85 1.8 | 2x 580ex II |

flick (external link)r
web (external link)
facebook (external link)

m.shalaby
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,443 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 28, 2011 14:37 as a reply to  @ tolyD's post |  #23

Thanks for all the input guys.

I went with a 16pk of Imedions 2400's

Andrew_WOT
Goldmember
1,421 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 28, 2011 18:44 |  #24

Rob Gabriath here
http://www.robgalbrait​h.com …p?cid=7-10050-10598-10599 (external link)
mentions PowerGenix NiZn as the fastest recycle speed batteries, 1.1 sec for 430 EXII, twice faster than Eneloop.

m.shalaby
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,443 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 29, 2011 09:41 |  #25

dbdors wrote in post #12310315 (external link)
The Imedions are LSD like Eneloops, but at 2400 Mah vs. 2000 for Eneloops. The LSD will be 1.2 volts with low internal resistance and provide quick recycle.

Just thinking about this... mah's are 1.2volts while Alkalines, along with these new niZn are 1.6v. http://www.thomasdistr​ibuting.com …ble-Batteries_p_2017.html (external link)

The 'claim' is the 1.6v yields faster recycle times.

so are we taking a hit on recycle times by using Mah batteries ?

rhys216
Goldmember
1,814 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 29, 2011 09:49 |  #26
bannedPermanent ban

^^^
Using Nizn batteries in a 430exii is similar to using a high voltage pack on the 580exii in terms of recycle time, in fact the 430exii probably recycles even faster at full power than a 580exii with battery pack on full power.

m.shalaby
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,443 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 29, 2011 09:52 |  #27

rhys216 wrote in post #12316045 (external link)
^^^
Using Nizn batteries in a 430exii is similar to using a high voltage pack on the 580exii in terms of recycle time, in fact the 430exii probably recycles even faster at full power than a 580exii with battery pack on full power.

Thats what I've read at the strobist.com.... but my point is they are 1.6v. so are regular ol' Alkalines! lol.... so really, using these MAH batteries, were taking a step back in recycle times... no?

rhys216
Goldmember
1,814 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 29, 2011 10:06 |  #28
bannedPermanent ban

^^^
No, you can't just go by voltage, Alkalines have higher voltage, but NiMH can deliver more current faster, so some high Mah NiMH should deliver better recycle times than alkaline. NiZN on the other hand, has the best of both worlds, but they self discharge even faster than NiMH.

Edit:
Uh, I may be confusing Alkaline with Nicd, I'l have to look into it.

Edit 2:
Looked into it, check out the below link, looks like eneloops or equivalent, outperform Alkaline...
http://www.shooting43.​com/articles/FL36R/rec​ycle-times (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,735 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 29, 2011 10:14 |  #29

If Low self discharge batteries are 2400mah thats a great option.

I have energizer 2450mah and they work. I just charge them before a shoot. Also use Rayovac hybrid, Imedion 2000mah and sanyo eneloops. In most cases I never use alot of the extra batteries I bring along to a shoot. Recycle time to me isn't a priority for me because I dont rattle off consecutively in portraits.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma 24-70 ART | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

dbdors
Goldmember
1,001 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 29, 2011 10:23 |  #30

rhys216 wrote in post #12316151 (external link)
^^^
No, you can't just go by voltage, Alkalines have higher voltage, but NiMH can deliver more current faster, so some high Mah NiMH should deliver better recycle times than alkaline. NiZN on the other hand, has the best of both worlds, but they self discharge even faster than NiMH.

Edit:
Uh, I may be confusing Alkaline with Nicd, I'l have to look into it.

I think you have it right.

Again, I am not battery or electronics expert, I'm only going by what I've and understood from looking at the numbers.

Voltage = IR. I = Current and R = Internal resistance.

NiMH, NiCd both have low R and thus have a higher current. Even though the voltage is lower, they have a higher current and thus the faster recycle. As I understand the NiMH have even lower R (thus the low self discharge), which would mean a bit higher current.

The NiZn, must have an even lower R as it would appear that they have a high voltage and even higher current (I).

The alkalines have high voltage, but higher resistance and thus lower current, and slowest recycle time.

Maybe somebody who knows how this really works can clean this up for me :lol:

Darrell
Gear List

sponsored links

5,771 views & 0 likes for this thread
Power solutions for 430EX II ?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.