Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Apr 2011 (Thursday) 09:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Used Cameras?

Lady ­ Tori
335 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 28, 2011 09:30 |  #1

I was thinking of getting the 5d mk II used, as it's considerably cheaper but I'm a bit cautious of it being used, although apparently he hasn't used it that much. Either way has anyone ever had bad experiences with used cameras before that they've bought?

Thanks

sponsored links
gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,277 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 28, 2011 09:33 |  #2

Used cameras, if they are the right cameras and owners, is a great way to save a few $$. Buying local obviously is better than off the web as you have an opportunity to handle and check out the camera before purchasing.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

mulder32
203 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 28, 2011 09:34 |  #3

I've bought all my stuff used. 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D, and 2 x 5Ds. Never had a problem. I try to find stuff with less than 25,000 clicks. Just do alot of comparing so you know what to look for.

Sony a7III and a6300, 2x Canon 6D, 17 TS-E, 24-70L, 70-200L 2.8IS, 50 1.4, Sony 16-35, Sony 24-105
Focal Point Photography LLC
www.focalpointphotogra​phywi.com (external link)
www.focalpointphotowi.​com (external link)

ZoneV
Goldmember
1,644 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 28, 2011 10:24 |  #4

[QUOTE=mulder32;123092​77]I've bought all my stuff used. 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D, and 2 x 5Ds. Never had a problem. ...QUOTE]

Nearly the same with me:

All my DSLR I bought used:
2 x 350D, 1x 1000D, 2 x 5D.
They work great. Only with the EOS 1000D I had the common issue with the SD card slot, but good time after buying it - after first use with new SD card.

DIY-Homepage (external link) - Image Gallery (external link) - Gear List

guntoter
Goldmember
2,409 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 28, 2011 10:30 |  #5

If "buying used" scares you, there is always the refurbished option. Probably cost more than used, but some warranty comes with them which you can extend. That would give you a higher degree of safety.
I bought my 40D like that for $700 a couple of year ago.

Joel
GEAR
Flickr (external link)

Ross ­ Murray
220 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 28, 2011 10:31 |  #6

I've never bought a new DSLR, bought my 20D used from a working photographer and it lasted several years of heavy use after I bought it. I then bought a 1Dc which died almost as soon as I got it, so ditched it at £100 loss (incidentally it only had 25k or so clicks so don't worry too much about shutter actuations!) and then bought a 1DII with about 70k clicks.

I wouldn't ever buy new unless I became incredibly wealthy!

Camera: Canon EOS 1D MkII
Lenses: Canon 50mm f/1.8 II, Canon 50mm f/2.5 Macro, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L,
Sigma 15-30mm f/3.5-4.5 EX DG, Sigma 400mm f/5.6 APO HSM Telemacro, Tamron SP 90mm F/2.5 Macro
Flickr (external link)

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 28, 2011 10:40 |  #7

Other than my first body, the following 3 have all been used. try and buy one with the balance of a warranty if you are incomfortable. I've never had to have any of them serviced. I doubt I'll be buying new in the future.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,273 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Apr 28, 2011 12:25 as a reply to  @ bohdank's post |  #8

I have only purchased one used camera, a D60 (not 60D) which I got cheap and converted to full-time infra red. It works fine - no problems...

I have purchased my 30D, 40D and recently my 7D as refurbished units and will go that route if I ever want a newer camera...

IMO, it is a safer way to purchase a camera. The first 7D Canon shipped me through the Canon Loyalty program had some problems. They send me another camera immediately which has functioned perfectly. You don't have that type of recourse when buying used...

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

chenga732
465 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 28, 2011 13:12 as a reply to  @ RPCrowe's post |  #9

Recently, I got a refurb 7D from canon and comes with a 90days warranty. Canon was able to fix the focus issue for me :) I think refurb is a good way to go.

Xsi|24-105mm f4.0|70-200mm f4.0|85mm f.18

chinch
185 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Apr 28, 2011 13:27 |  #10

Mack "used" warranty eliminates many concerns imho.

refurb is another option. i find refurb stuff cheaper than "used" quite often but YMMV.

Lady Tori wrote in post #12309254 (external link)
I was thinking of getting the 5d mk II used, as it's considerably cheaper but I'm a bit cautious of it being used, although apparently he hasn't used it that much. Either way has anyone ever had bad experiences with used cameras before that they've bought?

Thanks

Lady ­ Tori
THREAD ­ STARTER
335 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 28, 2011 15:00 as a reply to  @ chinch's post |  #11

AH, so you guys think refurbished is the way to go?

I just worry if something was wrong with the camera and the people didn't fix it correctly and it happens again... although this camera does have a years warrenty..

mhazlett
404 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 28, 2011 15:09 |  #12

Everything I have ever bought was used, and mostly from Adorama and B&H. Both grade very conservatively and have always had very good luck with them! I just ordered a 40D from Adorama with 350 clicks on it for only 514, although slightly higher than they go here in the F/S section, IMO its worth the 25 dollars to get the peace of mind that it is coming from a reputable company.

WEBSITE (external link)

simonjs
57 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 28, 2011 15:30 |  #13

I have purchased used 500 f4 & 300 f2.8 lens and both are superb.

I have recently purchased two 7D bodies, I was so pleased with the first one that I have just this week purchased the second one from an advert on this site. Both had less than 5000 shutter actions.

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 28, 2011 18:18 |  #14

I bought my 10D, 20D, one of my 30Ds, 1D Mark III, my G7 and my G9 used...never had a problem with any of them. I bought one of my 30Ds brand new and sort of regretted it. I had no problems with that either, but while I sold every one of the above cameras (except for the G9 and the 1D3, which I still have) for as much as I bought them for - or even a little more - I lost a lot of money on that 30D haha.

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

sponsored links

1,269 views & 0 likes for this thread
Used Cameras?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.