Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
Thread started 05 Feb 2010 (Friday) 20:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II)

this thread is locked
monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 28, 2011 12:12 |  #1621

anlenke wrote in post #12310237 (external link)
Oh nice, thanks. I ordered a Singh Variable ND filter I'm hoping will work well for landscapes. Would love to get some Lee filters, but that'll have to wait a bit ;)

that Singh Variable ND is quite expensive :lol:

I would love to get an all Lee filter setup as well... I already know what I am getting and it would cost me about $600 :oops:

1 set Lee foundation Kit
1 pc Lee Big stopper
1 pc Singh Reverse ND
1 pc GND SE 0.9 (100mm)
1 pc Lee square CPL
I need 2 size adapter rings...

yeah need to save up for it :rolleyes:

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

sponsored links
dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 28, 2011 14:41 |  #1622

anlenke wrote in post #12310187 (external link)
Congrats, the D3s is brilliant, I wish I had the funds right now. I just parked 4 D3s in my driveway...I've now started measuring everything in Nikon currency :confused:

Thanks, I've been selling existing gear to pay for it. That's why my D7000 is now gone and I'm hoping I won't have to ditch the D700 when all is said and done.

anlenke
575 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 28, 2011 14:45 |  #1623

monk3y wrote in post #12310267 (external link)
that Singh Variable ND is quite expensive :lol:

I would love to get an all Lee filter setup as well... I already know what I am getting and it would cost me about $600 :oops:

1 set Lee foundation Kit
1 pc Lee Big stopper
1 pc Singh Reverse ND
1 pc GND SE 0.9 (100mm)
1 pc Lee square CPL
I need 2 size adapter rings...

yeah need to save up for it :rolleyes:

That's about spot on what I was looking at as well for the landscape side of things. Have you a 14-24? I'm keen to get one of those and really get to work :)
I got a deal on the Singh ($150) from my parents' neighbor...For that price, I couldn't not get it. :D

Hi. I'm Anton.
Personal work: Flickr (external link)
Gear, for those who want to know.

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 28, 2011 14:49 |  #1624

anlenke wrote in post #12311200 (external link)
That's about spot on what I was looking at as well for the landscape side of things. Have you a 14-24? I'm keen to get one of those and really get to work :)
I got a deal on the Singh ($150) from my parents' neighbor...For that price, I couldn't not get it. :D

nope.. I would have gotten the 16-35mm... but seems like I am switching back to Canon in a few months time... so I will have to wait before I buy everything..

it would have been a Nikon 16-35mm f/4, my current Tamron 28-75mm, 70-200mm VRII and 150mm Sigma Macro...
but now it looks like its gonna be the successor of 5D, then Canon 17-40mm f/4, Tamron 28-75mm, and Canon 70-200mm IS II and Sigma 150 Macro :lol:
mainly due to service centers and warranty issues in our country.... I basically have no problem whatsoever with the D700.. I just need some support from the Manufacturer if I am gonna invest in a system

the Filters I listed are basically what ever landscaper needs :lol: good deal on the Singh...I think its about $250 here

anlenke
575 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 28, 2011 14:53 |  #1625

monk3y wrote in post #12311234 (external link)
nope.. I would have gotten the 16-35mm... but seems like I am switching back to Canon in a few months time... so I will have to wait before I buy everything..

it would have been a Nikon 16-35mm f/4, my current Tamron 28-75mm, 70-200mm VRII and 150mm Sigma Macro...
but now it looks like its gonna be the successor of 5D, then Canon 17-40mm f/4, Tamron 28-75mm, and Canon 70-200mm IS II and Sigma 150 Macro :lol:
mainly due to service centers and warranty issues in our country.... I basically have no problem whatsoever with the D700.. I just need some support from the Manufacturer if I am gonna invest in a system

the Filters I listed are basically what ever landscaper needs :lol: good deal on the Singh...I think its about $250 here

Yeah, It's over $350 here last I checked. Makes sense you'd switch to Canon, given the circumstances, I'd be inclined to do the same. Sounds like you have some serious spending planned, hope you've some money saved! ;)

My new car means I'll not be buying any photo equipment for some time, likely. :cry: I'm just pleased I was able to fund the car with photography :D

Hi. I'm Anton.

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 28, 2011 17:54 |  #1626

anlenke wrote in post #12311253 (external link)
Yeah, It's over $350 here last I checked. Makes sense you'd switch to Canon, given the circumstances, I'd be inclined to do the same. Sounds like you have some serious spending planned, hope you've some money saved! ;)

My new car means I'll not be buying any photo equipment for some time, likely. :cry: I'm just pleased I was able to fund the car with photography :D

I actually can only afford the Body if its no more than $3000 after I sell the D700... hehe and since its still a long way to go I still have a at least a good 6months or more to save up for the lenses hehe

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,355 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 28, 2011 17:56 |  #1627

dgrPhotos wrote in post #12309069 (external link)
Which? I just bought a D3s yesterday myself but I have a D700 and had a D7000.

D300

Shes at least suggesting i get myself a second camera body to function as a backup...

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 28, 2011 18:23 |  #1628

KenjiS wrote in post #12312390 (external link)
D300

Shes at least suggesting i get myself a second camera body to function as a backup...

I probably missed a whole conversation about this already but why not the D7000? You prefer the bigger body?

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,355 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 28, 2011 18:33 |  #1629

dgrPhotos wrote in post #12312546 (external link)
I probably missed a whole conversation about this already but why not the D7000? You prefer the bigger body?

I can get a D300 used for $850-920, a D7000 is $1200 new, the $300 or so i save can be put towards a better lens...or another lens

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 28, 2011 19:33 |  #1630

KenjiS wrote in post #12312591 (external link)
I can get a D300 used for $850-920, a D7000 is $1200 new, the $300 or so i save can be put towards a better lens...or another lens

I sold mine for $1050...you can still get them used. IMO, the better high iso and DR performance would be worth it. I'm not trying to knock the D300, i've never used it.

tim
Light Bringer
50,986 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 29, 2011 00:10 |  #1631

monk3y wrote in post #12311234 (external link)

What are the main reasons for switching back, and what are you getting? I remember you said service was a problem, but do your cameras need much servicing? Mine not so much.

Having said that my 16-35 just took a trip to Nikon's service center just to be checked, after I rolled it down that hill. They said it's perfect as far as they can tell.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 29, 2011 00:21 |  #1632

tim wrote in post #12314355 (external link)
What are the main reasons for switching back, and what are you getting? I remember you said service was a problem, but do your cameras need much servicing? Mine not so much.

Having said that my 16-35 just took a trip to Nikon's service center just to be checked, after I rolled it down that hill. They said it's perfect as far as they can tell.

yes main reason was servicing... coz there's no Nikon Philippines..just a distributor that sell Expensive Nikon stuff :rolleyes:

When I bought my D700 for around $2100 gray..their price was $2800... :rolleyes:

So I thought I'd be ok without an unauthorized service center..then comes the time that I need to clean my sensor and I can't find anybody reliable enough to clean my sensor...so I man up and forced myself to clean it instead...

but that little incident just hit me like a rock that made me realize I have no where to run if in case I have problems with my Nikon..currently I have nowhere to go for calibration...and with my rubber peeling problem (I can't even send it in for servicing).

as we have all agreed there is very little difference in IQ between both camps... if I buy Canon now I get 3 years Canon Philippines warranty, with service center just 10 minutes away from me. the support and security seems to be a lot better with Canon here ( I basically did not consider this a problem when I made the decision to get the D700).

so I am really thinking about switching back if the D700 feature set are available on the 5D MKIII and then some :D

tim
Light Bringer
50,986 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 29, 2011 00:38 |  #1633

Nikon have a reputation for needing servicing less often than Canon. Cleaning your sensor is totally something you can/should do yourself, use the Copperhill kit/method, easy.

Have you googled how to put the rubber back on yourself? I've heard of that happening before, so maybe you can buy it on ebay and do it yourself?

Given you haven't had any significant problems perhaps you should stick with what you have for now, and move if you have problems in future? You can always mail the camera to another country to be repaired, that can't be too expensive.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

anlenke
575 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 29, 2011 00:38 |  #1634

monk3y wrote in post #12314413 (external link)
yes main reason was servicing... coz there's no Nikon Philippines..just a distributor that sell Expensive Nikon stuff :rolleyes:

When I bought my D700 for around $2100 gray..their price was $2800... :rolleyes:

So I thought I'd be ok without an unauthorized service center..then comes the time that I need to clean my sensor and I can't find anybody reliable enough to clean my sensor...so I man up and forced myself to clean it instead...

but that little incident just hit me like a rock that made me realize I have no where to run if in case I have problems with my Nikon..currently I have nowhere to go for calibration...and with my rubber peeling problem (I can't even send it in for servicing).

as we have all agreed there is very little difference in IQ between both camps... if I buy Canon now I get 3 years Canon Philippines warranty, with service center just 10 minutes away from me. the support and security seems to be a lot better with Canon here ( I basically did not consider this a problem when I made the decision to get the D700).

so I am really thinking about switching back if the D700 feature set are available on the 5D MKIII and then some :D

You're in a very different situation than most...I understand it, but you won't get me to switch that easily ;) Hopefully I'll be able to afford the D800/5D Mark III without losing a leg when they show.

Hi. I'm Anton.

Southswede
950 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 29, 2011 00:45 |  #1635

monk3y wrote in post #12307707 (external link)
so let's get back on topic...

I just saw that I am currently experiencing the Rubber Peeling Phenomena on Nikon Bodies... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

and one of my problem is that I have no where to go to :(

http://www.loctiteprod​ucts.com …-Seal-Indoor-Adhesive.htm (external link)

I used this on my D300 and it has worked out great.

sponsored links

771,022 views & 0 likes for this thread
Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II)
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.