Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 29 Apr 2011 (Friday) 08:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My blind and set up.....

trmwf
Goldmember
2,688 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 29, 2011 08:29 |  #1

I have had a few requests to see my blind, it's relation to the feeding area, my driftwood perches or the overall setup as it looks from the outside. Instead of answering each privately I thought I would just post and all good look if they choose.

It works out great for me but it is nothing that anyone couldn't have. It cost me all of $30 for the blind (on sale) and everything else was free. This is an Amerstep "outhouse" blind. I bought this model because I am 6'4" and I have room tostand and stretch my legs in it. My wife will kill me when she sees that I posted pics of the deck without cleaning it up! Questions gladly answered.

Looking south, you can see the blind is close to the perches and even closer to the kitchen door. Just a couple of steps to warmth, food, coffee, beer, restroom, then just a couple of more steps and I'm right back to the blind

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5147/5669100507_7c13a18f30_b.jpg

looking West, you can see the pieces of driftwood sitting in the planter boxes with seed and nuts spread on the railing in front of them..about 6 feet from the blind window
IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5104/5669670338_a921527929_b.jpg

Looking East you can see the relationship of the deck to the woods.
IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5144/5669096121_8b36366c14_b.jpg

Mike

sponsored links
mainbyte
332 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 29, 2011 08:32 |  #2

Very Cool! Thanks for sharing. You have given me some ideas to try on my own.

-ron

Canon 6D | Canon 7DII | 17-40 f/4L | 24-105 f/4L | 70-300 4/5.6L |100mm f/2.8L macro | 50mm 1.4 | 580exII | 2 - 430exII |

KT29
Goldmember
3,485 posts
Gallery: 304 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 29, 2011 08:35 |  #3

Thanks for sharing. Nice to see other folks set ups.:)

Terry --Had it with Bozo the Clown and his Cackling Queen. Over and Out.ߑΰߏ۰ߑΰߏ

risingwolf
502 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 29, 2011 08:44 |  #4

Very Nice, you can almost reach out and grill lunch.

May there be peace
Canon 7D and 5D Mark III.

EveryMilesAMemory
Goldmember
3,879 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined May 2007

Apr 29, 2011 09:10 as a reply to  @ risingwolf's post |  #5

Question? Cant you just sit inside the door with the doorwall open which would hide more of your movement from the birds?

Just asking because that's what I used to do when I had a similar set-up/back porch to what you posted

Pat Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.​com (external link)
www.patbonishphotograp​hy.com (external link)
http://www.instagram.c​om/bonish_photo/[/URL (external link)

Chas ­ G
38 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 29, 2011 09:14 as a reply to  @ EveryMilesAMemory's post |  #6

That is great. Thanks for posting it. Now, how can I bribe the wife into letting me set up somehting similar? Shoes? Dinner? Vacation? Probably all of the above plus more.:confused:

Oldjackssparrows
Jeeeez, incredible comments!
13,743 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 29, 2011 09:21 |  #7

I was wondering! and the pool too, mind if I stop by?

Donate to Pekka, help pay our server costs...

trmwf
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,688 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 29, 2011 09:23 |  #8

EveryMilesAMemory wrote in post #12315777 (external link)
Question? Cant you just sit inside the door with the doorwall open which would hide more of your movement from the birds?

Just asking because that's what I used to do when I had a similar set-up/back porch to what you posted

Well I could except for a couple of things. I used to do that but found I had to cover myself with a sheet or something because the birds would see you sitting there anyway and a lot would shy away. The second reason and it is a big one is that the blind gets me about 8 foot closer which is huge in photography I think. My biggest problem is that sometimes I am too close (yeh I know, some problem huh?) if I have the 300 on the and a bigger bird like a jay or cardinal or larger wood pecker show up. To me, if you want great detail you either have to spend thousands for a 500or 600 or larger lens or youmust simply get close. The blind allows me to get close for a fractiion of the cost.

Mike

trmwf
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,688 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 29, 2011 09:28 |  #9

Chas G wrote in post #12315795 (external link)
That is great. Thanks for posting it. Now, how can I bribe the wife into letting me set up somehting similar? Shoes? Dinner? Vacation? Probably all of the above plus more.:confused:

Well now you have discovered one of the rubs! I leave the blind up all winter which is pretty cool except you do get tired of photoing the same old birds all winter. About this time of year when things start to get interesting I start getting a little pressure to take it down to start getting the deck ready for the season. But until it starts to get really warm on a regular basis I can usually withstand the pressure. Sometimes dinner and a show will buy me another week! Besides, the blind is quite portable so I just move it to the yard by the woods for awhile or take it to the lake when I go.

The missus biggest problem is that it stands right in front of the door and blocks her view of the yard starting to come alive with spring.

Mike

trmwf
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,688 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 29, 2011 09:30 |  #10

BGgraphy wrote in post #12315837 (external link)
I was wondering! and the pool too, mind if I stop by?

You would be welcome anytime. We could try out my 9' inflatable pontoon boat and explore some recessed coves at the reservoir!! Or we could just float around the pool and have a few sudz!

Mike

EveryMilesAMemory
Goldmember
3,879 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined May 2007

Apr 29, 2011 09:33 as a reply to  @ trmwf's post |  #11

Thanks for the explaination. I understand exactly what you're talking about when wanting to get closer.

For $30 you cant beat it! Cheapest piece of photography equipment you could buy :D

Pat Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.​com (external link)
www.patbonishphotograp​hy.com (external link)
http://www.instagram.c​om/bonish_photo/[/URL (external link)

trmwf
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,688 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 29, 2011 09:37 |  #12

I want to add something about the blind. I am in no way contected to Ameristep but can't reallysay enough about this blind. I think theyh are regularly around 60 bucks and I got mine for $30. It has survived 3 winters of being exposed constantly. It has been blown completely bent over and never ripped off. It has been completely crushed and collapsed from the weight of ice ad snow and has survived day after day of rain and high winds with narry a thread coming loose. I keep waiting for the wind to ripit in to pieces. Everytime the snow crushes it I figure well this is it but a little shoveling and brooming the snow off and up it pops ready to go and I figure one of these the material will just rot up. The only thing wrong with it after three years of constant exposure is a small rip that I made with the corner of a snow shovel. A little duct tape seems to have fixed it quite nicely.

I'm sure other brands are just as dependable but I am amazed at how tough this little guy is.

Mike

malndobe
315 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 29, 2011 09:51 |  #13

Nice. Gives me some good ideas. Some of the birds are comfortable enough with me I can just sit 10-15 feet away without them doing more than giving me a little glance, but I've got quite a few new varieties coming around that are a lot more skittish, I'd love to get closer to them.

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,663 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 29, 2011 12:24 |  #14

Thanks, Mike.

How do you handle the front window when shooting? In particular, is it open just wide enough for your lens or open enough you can see most of your perches?

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

trmwf
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,688 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 29, 2011 12:48 |  #15

AZGeorge wrote in post #12316937 (external link)
Thanks, Mike.

How do you handle the front window when shooting? In particular, is it open just wide enough for your lens or open enough you can see most of your perches?

Thanks George - good question. I actually do both. If I sit way towards the back of the blind to do handheld shooting and wear dark clothing I'll have the window open about halfway so I can see everything and shoot clearly. However, you will see that you will have to hide your face. Sometimes I wear a camoflaged mask, sometimes I'll have a hooded sweatshirt on and keep my face down or sometimes, just holding the camera in front of your face will do the trick. For some reason, it is just the face that spooks them...well maybe after looking in the mirror I should have known that...as I can have the brightest tee shirt on and bare arms and it won't spook them as long as my face is covered. Other times I'll set up a tripod right towards the front, stick the lens out of the opening that I make just large enough for the lens and to be able to see, sort of, and do it that way. This way I will usually just pile some thing on top of the camera/lens like camo netting that I can see around yet it breaks up whatever they can see of me. Either way, sudden movements are detected and usually result in them flying. Slow and deliberate movements are just fine though.

Mike

sponsored links

3,201 views & 0 likes for this thread
My blind and set up.....
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.