Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 17 Dec 2010 (Friday) 22:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The New CACTUS V5's "Transceiver" Duo

apixelintime
Goldmember
2,123 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 29, 2011 09:47 |  #526

The cord that I purchased separately (but on the same order) was to use these also as a wireless trigger. They are camera specific. IF all you want to use these for are to trigger flashes, then they come with everything that you will need.

Christopher Cross | Apixelintime.com | Nightographer.com (coming soon)
Altering reality one pixel at a time.
A clicky thing | Severial twisty things | A couple of flashy things | A bunch of other things
Posing Guide (external link) | Galleries (external link) | flickr (external link) | FaceBook (external link) | Blog (external link)

sponsored links
ernestoqr
426 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 29, 2011 09:54 |  #527

DM1975 wrote in post #12316027 (external link)
These hot shoe mount, but they come with a pc cable and a small audio jack plug and an adapter for the larger plug. These are for hooking the remotes up to studio lighting more than anything I think. I have never used the cables myself, just hotshoe.

Sorry I didnt said it correctly ... I want to do remote shutter release which is different from just remote flash firing
What I want is to shoot my camera from a distance.... Do I need a specific cable?

DM1975
272 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 29, 2011 09:56 |  #528

ernestoqr wrote in post #12316074 (external link)
Sorry I didnt said correctly ... I want to do remote remote shutter release which is different from just remote flash firing
What I want is to shoot my camera from a distance.... Do I need a specific cable?

I suppose you would need the proper connection. Not sure if the PC cable would work or not in that circumstance.

Website (external link)
Currently rebuilding my kit piece at a time
50D w/ BG-E2|430EXII|YN560x2|Cac​tusV5x4|White Lightning X800|Vanguard Alta Pro 263 Tripod|Sigma 12-24|70-200 f2.8L|24-105 f4L IS
These images brought to you today by the letter L

dbdors
Goldmember
1,001 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 29, 2011 09:57 |  #529

ernestoqr wrote in post #12316074 (external link)
Sorry I didnt said it correctly ... I want to do remote shutter release which is different from just remote flash firing

Yes, you have to order the camera cable seperately.

Darrell
My SmugMug Nature/Landscape Gallery (external link)
Gear List

DM1975
272 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 29, 2011 09:58 |  #530

apixelintime wrote in post #12315986 (external link)
In this case, are they loose? I am mostly concerned about them rattling around and becoming damaged. My 'cowboy triggers' were loose in a small plastic pencil box and they didnt last long.

Mine are loose in there, but they stay pretty well in place since I have so much crap packed in with them. I wouldn't mind having a dedicated case though.

Website (external link)
Currently rebuilding my kit piece at a time
50D w/ BG-E2|430EXII|YN560x2|Cac​tusV5x4|White Lightning X800|Vanguard Alta Pro 263 Tripod|Sigma 12-24|70-200 f2.8L|24-105 f4L IS
These images brought to you today by the letter L

apixelintime
Goldmember
2,123 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 29, 2011 09:58 |  #531

dbdors wrote in post #12316093 (external link)

nods...

Christopher Cross | Apixelintime.com | Nightographer.com (coming soon)
Altering reality one pixel at a time.
A clicky thing | Severial twisty things | A couple of flashy things | A bunch of other things
Posing Guide (external link) | Galleries (external link) | flickr (external link) | FaceBook (external link) | Blog (external link)

ernestoqr
426 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 29, 2011 10:01 |  #532

dbdors wrote in post #12316093 (external link)

OHH :mad: I hope I still have time to include it in my package ...
Thanks guys

dbdors
Goldmember
1,001 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 29, 2011 10:10 |  #533

I appreciate the snug fit of the shoe. What I find annoying is the ease of changing channels on the unit and the ease of opening the battery compartment.

If I grab the unit to install it in the umbrella stand or to install the flash, many times my fingers move the channel selector and I switch the channel. It would be nice if the channel selector were in a better location.

The other issue is with the battery compartment. When I remove the flash I inevitably place my thumb on the back of the trigger (battery slot) and press forward to remove the unit from the flash. This means that the battery slot opens. Kinda annoying. Something like a slide switch on the door (like the 580EX II battery door) would be better and prevent accidental opening.

Darrell
My SmugMug Nature/Landscape Gallery (external link)
Gear List

mdurisseau
145 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 29, 2011 10:12 |  #534

My issue with the battery door is that I can't get it latched correctly all the time!

phamster
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,315 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 29, 2011 11:20 |  #535

dbdors wrote in post #12316175 (external link)
I appreciate the snug fit of the shoe. What I find annoying is the ease of changing channels on the unit and the ease of opening the battery compartment.

If I grab the unit to install it in the umbrella stand or to install the flash, many times my fingers move the channel selector and I switch the channel. It would be nice if the channel selector were in a better location.

The other issue is with the battery compartment. When I remove the flash I inevitably place my thumb on the back of the trigger (battery slot) and press forward to remove the unit from the flash. This means that the battery slot opens. Kinda annoying. Something like a slide switch on the door (like the 580EX II battery door) would be better and prevent accidental opening.

mdurisseau wrote in post #12316185 (external link)
My issue with the battery door is that I can't get it latched correctly all the time!

i agree with the accidental thumb hitting..

what i ended up doing is using black tape on mine and covering up the doors completely..

and before a huge job like a wedding, i recharge all my batteries then tape them up..

it is a design flaw, but would i buy more of these if they break? that is a yes.. because they fire my shots every time.. love that aspect of them.

form factor, they are far from perfect

"Lighting will make or break your photo"
Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Interview with Mike Panic (external link)

mdurisseau
145 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 29, 2011 11:23 |  #536

Couldn't agree more! AAs could have been used instead of AAAs, though. Longer life, especially if you accidentally leave them on.

Blurr ­ Cube
...a lucky id-iot that didn't get electrocuted...
15,147 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 29, 2011 12:23 |  #537

dbdors wrote in post #12316175 (external link)

I just need to get used to the snug fit... don't want to break it.

What I don't like about the channel selector is (1) they're TINY and (2) they don't seem to line up with the notches... so did I line it up at 2 or 3 or is it 2.5? Hey it fired... guess the two transceivers matched. Minor.

Yup. I accidentally hit the door with the thumbs too! Minor again, I guess. I do like that you can slide out the batteries if they are on a shoe. Maybe just a better locking mechanism (like on the battery grips where you twist a small handle) and not just a push to click it. Next version, maybe?

Someone start a V6 wish list? Heh. ;)

| Canon EOS Systems |

Blurr ­ Cube
...a lucky id-iot that didn't get electrocuted...
15,147 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 29, 2011 12:25 |  #538

mdurisseau wrote in post #12316627 (external link)
Couldn't agree more! AAs could have been used instead of AAAs, though. Longer life, especially if you accidentally leave them on.

Would have prefered AA as well... they probably could've done it. It seems like there's room for it. At least I get to use my AAA eneloops. Minor once again. ;)

| Canon EOS Systems |

mdurisseau
145 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 29, 2011 13:31 |  #539

I need a set or two of those...

Blurr Cube wrote in post #12316940 (external link)
Would have prefered AA as well... they probably could've done it. It seems like there's room for it. At least I get to use my AAA eneloops. Minor once again. ;)

CptTripps
567 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 29, 2011 14:03 |  #540

Hello anyone and everyone,

These are cheap and sound right up my alley for outdoor/distance shoots but I have a couple questions.

1. I understand they don't support TTL and am fine with that but; how do you adjust the flash power? I assume you must do it manually on the flash?

2. I want to trigger two flashes seperately so I would need three transceivers correct? (1 for each flash and one on cam).

3. On the remote shutter cable. Is my thinking correct that one V5 would be on cam connected with the cable to the camera. Two would be mounted to my remote flashes and one would be handheld for firing (would of course require two pairs)?

I have done a ton of reading but just want to verify I understand things correctly. I have been lurking for a couple months waiting for Alaskan spring colors to finally show. They are about to start and I want to be ready.

edit: I forgot, one last question. Since I will be unable to do HSS with this setup I would need an ND filter so I am able to obtain shallow dof in sunlight. Any suggestions on this? I understand my flashes are not super powerful but I think they would be enough for closer portrait work outdoors. My other option would be to pick up a 550ex from ebay for ~150 to use on camera via canon wireless (I have canon 60D and built in wireless works very good indoors) when I need HSS. I appreciate any feedback/input.

60D - Sigma 30mm 1.4 - 50mm 1.8 ImkII - 18-135 IS - 70-200 2.8 mkII - 2x430ex II - 3xFlextt5+AC3 - Einstein 640 w/mc2 - Vagabond Mini

sponsored links

182,438 views & 0 likes for this thread
The New CACTUS V5's "Transceiver" Duo
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.