Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
Thread started 29 Oct 2009 (Thursday) 04:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The automotive strobist setup pic thread

Master ­ of ­ Defenestration
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 29, 2011 03:59 as a reply to  @ post 12314920 |  #886

TauntDevil wrote in post #12311349 (external link)
What i do. Actually i dont do rig shots for say as i work with some anal people so i do it a different way, same outcome though. Good job

RaymondXTi wrote in post #12313262 (external link)
^have an example of that?

X2

After thinking about it...It would be difficult to keep the wheels from being screwed up from the strobes. Blurred, but with a nice imprint of the spokes.

5D | Full tank of gas | Box of rocks
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
TauntDevil
Goldmember
1,267 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 29, 2011 09:21 |  #887

Master of Defenestration wrote in post #12314968 (external link)
X2

After thinking about it...It would be difficult to keep the wheels from being screwed up from the strobes. Blurred, but with a nice imprint of the spokes.

Yes, ill do a shoot with it this weekend and make a tutorial-ish

Canon 7D Mk2, Sony A7iii, Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS mk1, Sigma 17-55mm f2.8, Tamron 28-75iii, a few flashes and many modifiers
SmugMug (external link)

O3DigitalBath
486 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 29, 2011 11:24 |  #888

pprice wrote in post #12314920 (external link)
I love that this thread is called "The automotive strobist setup pic thread", and very few show their setups lol. Some great shots anyway!!

I know the few pics I've posted and i'm sure some other peoples are made from quite a few pics....did you really want people to post 10 pics for every finish one they post? I feel like it would be boring to just see the same pics a bunch of times with lights moved all around it. This thread seems to have shifted more towards just flash photography with cars in general, not just setup pics.

I guess if you are just doing a single exposure it would make sense and be easy to post up a setup shot, just saying this isn't always realistically possible. ;)

Flickr (external link)
Facebook Photo Page (external link)
Website (external link)

pprice
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 29, 2011 12:00 |  #889

I totally understand what you are saying, just thought the whole point of the thread had kind of got lost...There are 1000 threads with car photos in them. At least give the people an idea of what you did to get the photos..."This is a composite of 10 photos lit with (pick you tool)...Etc.I go with the flow here and still enjoy looking at the great photos in this thead (any way it is done), I just like to see (or read) how some of these great photos are lit :-)Carry on with your sweet photos however you see fit, it was just a thought I had at the time :-)

O3DigitalBath wrote in post #12316631 (external link)
I know the few pics I've posted and i'm sure some other peoples are made from quite a few pics....did you really want people to post 10 pics for every finish one they post? I feel like it would be boring to just see the same pics a bunch of times with lights moved all around it. This thread seems to have shifted more towards just flash photography with cars in general, not just setup pics.

I guess if you are just doing a single exposure it would make sense and be easy to post up a setup shot, just saying this isn't always realistically possible. ;)

1D MKIII 16-35 2.8L MKII 24-70 2.8L 70-200 2.8L [COLOR=black]IS 300 2.8L IS (few others) Bunch of AB lighting
Southern by the grace of God

pprice
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 29, 2011 12:03 |  #890

Oh, and 03DigitalBath, that comment was not directed at you, it just happened to be after one of your posts. I had just looked at about 20 pages or more when I posted that :-)

1D MKIII 16-35 2.8L MKII 24-70 2.8L 70-200 2.8L [COLOR=black]IS 300 2.8L IS (few others) Bunch of AB lighting

fiveFPS
Goldmember
1,180 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 29, 2011 14:39 |  #891

pprice wrote in post #12314920 (external link)
I love that this thread is called "The automotive strobist setup pic thread", and very few show their setups lol. Some great shots anyway!!

LOL! that's very true!

Canon XTI | Canon 430ex | Crumpler 7MDH | 18-55mm

O3DigitalBath
486 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 29, 2011 19:31 |  #892

pprice wrote in post #12316832 (external link)
Oh, and 03DigitalBath, that comment was not directed at you, it just happened to be after one of your posts. I had just looked at about 20 pages or more when I posted that :-)

haha, I didn't feel like it was, all good. I'm with you, there is some shots that i'd love to see how it was done or even a video build up on it cause i'm in awe and totally jealous.

Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)

BrutusG
83 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 30, 2011 20:28 |  #893

I understand not posting pics for stacked images...but I seriously LOVE seeing the images of the lights set up. Even if you don't mention power, the distance of the light from the car, it's position around the car, it's height, and angle are all very small, but important details that are very helpful in breaking down their effects on the way the car is illuminated.

t-shot
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 01, 2011 05:07 |  #894

I want to see some behind the scenes shot of people using a white sheet as a light modifier :) please?

www.photographersonlin​e.co.nz (external link)

Reno_LV
Goldmember
1,289 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 01, 2011 07:36 |  #895

Cannot see the the flashes, but this is the set up in the garage, 1 Flash through white umbrella, high left, one from right through white umbrella, low right, reflector on ground at the back left tire:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i485.photobucke​t.com/albums/rr218/Ren​o_LV/11-4.jpg (external link)

And this is the outcome:

http://i485.photobucke​t.com …18/Reno_LV/IMG_​0585-1.jpg (external link)

http://i485.photobucke​t.com …r218/Reno_LV/IM​G_0616.jpg (external link)

Canon 5D mk III, Canon 7D, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L F2.8 IS mkII, Canon 135mm F2 L, Canon 300mm F2.8 IS L ,Canon 17-40 mm F4 USM L, Canon 50mm F1.2
L, Canon 85mm F1.2
http://reinisbphotogra​phy.blogspot.com/ (external link)

celowbe
838 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2010

May 01, 2011 08:21 |  #896

Wow such a simple set up yet the outcome is awesome..

Gear list

Matt ­ Peters
Cream of the Crop
12,336 posts
Joined Feb 2007

May 01, 2011 09:56 |  #897

Loving the bike set.. Simple but effective!!

The 16th UK South-East "The Cooper Crawley Creche" Thread (All Welcome)
1D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4L | 50mm f/1.8 MKII | 430ex x2 | RF-602 triggers x4

pprice
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 01, 2011 10:01 |  #898

t-shot wrote in post #12325883 (external link)
I want to see some behind the scenes shot of people using a white sheet as a light modifier :) please?

I am actually going to try this in the next week or so to shoot my dreaded black Vette. I figure if I build somewhat of a TP around it (going along the sides and connected at the top), then have my strobes high on each side, it might work out. I will have the white paper behind it, then a lagre softbox or something in front. If it works I will post it on here.

O3DigitalBath
486 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 01, 2011 21:58 |  #899

^i'd be really interested to see that setup and results!

Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)

pprice
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 02, 2011 00:43 |  #900

O3DigitalBath wrote in post #12330060 (external link)
^i'd be really interested to see that setup and results!

Ha, me too :-). I get back home this Thursday so I might get a chance to try it out over the weekend. I guess I will post the setup here even if it does not work out so well as maybe y'all will be able to help me figure out how to do it better.

sponsored links

1,298,857 views & 72 likes for this thread
The automotive strobist setup pic thread
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.