Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 29 Apr 2011 (Friday) 04:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do Pros determine Flash output setting?

Jamesino
483 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 29, 2011 04:04 |  #1

For off-camera portrait photography, how do professional photographers determine the power output level of their flashes?

If I understand correctly, light meters will tell you what aperture to use in order to get a proper exposure for a given light output level. But what if I want to adjust my flash output level to a desired aperture value? Will I have to trial-and-error?

sponsored links
edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 29, 2011 04:19 |  #2

Once you know your lights and modifiers, you get pretty good at guessing. I can usually get it right to within a stop or so.

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

Jamesino
THREAD ­ STARTER
483 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 29, 2011 04:33 |  #3

But it is a trial-and-error process right? Assuming you're using non-TTL radio triggers.

Lordkwaz
145 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 29, 2011 04:36 as a reply to  @ Jamesino's post |  #4

I shoot non tll all the time. You will know what settings to use for your environment once you been have done almost everything possible before

http://www.mrbrownshoo​ts.me/ (external link)
Smug (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 29, 2011 04:38 |  #5

It can be trial and error until you learn that say, 1/2 power at 10' = f/whatever.

The good thing is, it's a constant value (provided the modifiers used are the same.)

A hand-held meter makes life much, much easier though. It's a solid investment.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

The ­ Loft ­ Studios
Goldmember
1,072 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 29, 2011 04:42 |  #6

Jamesino wrote in post #12314979 (external link)
For off-camera portrait photography, how do professional photographers determine the power output level of their flashes?

If I understand correctly, light meters will tell you what aperture to use in order to get a proper exposure for a given light output level. But what if I want to adjust my flash output level to a desired aperture value? Will I have to trial-and-error?

You've already given yourself the answer: Light Meter
If you want your lights to be f/8, then you do a test fire of the flash and get the reading with the light meter, then you adjust the power of your lights from that point until you get an f/8 reading on your Flash Meter.....

MARK

Lichtwerk
Goldmember
1,372 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 29, 2011 04:49 |  #7

The Loft Studios wrote in post #12315050 (external link)
You've already given yourself the answer: Light Meter
If you want your lights to be f/8, then you do a test fire of the flash and get the reading with the light meter, then you adjust the power of your lights from that point until you get an f/8 reading on your Flash Meter.....

Exactly.
If you can precisely control your strobes (such as Elinchrom or an Einstein in 1/10 stops), pretty much all you do is meter and adjust your strobe output power up or down as needed to reach the desired aperture.

Dennis
Grip Aficionado
500px (external link)

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 29, 2011 06:01 |  #8

Trial and error is one approach but if you don't have a flash meter its far more efficient to use Guide Numbers: Guide number divided by flash to subject distance = aperture.

Then as you become familiar with your lighting equipment you learn that the Guide Number listed by the manufacturer is frequently overstated so you make the necessary adjustment. Its also easy to test each light and find its true Guide Number; and write it somewhere on the flash for reference.

And just so you know there's some method to the madness; the Canon 580 is called that because it has a guide number of 58 meters; the 430 has a guide number of 43 meters (that's at ISO 100 and flash zoomed to 105 mm setting). Its slightly different for monolights since there's no zoom setting but you quickly learn how to adjust as you become familiar with your equipment.

Jamesino wrote in post #12314979 (external link)

Gear List

DM1975
272 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 29, 2011 09:08 |  #9

3 ways from what I can tell. You can either use math, a meter, or trial and error/experience. I am just starting in this, but am getting better all the time. I set up what I think is going to be correct, do a test shot, and adjust from there. I usually can get it in one or two shots, if not having it dead on first shot. I do want a meter eventually, but for now I am happy with results.

Website (external link)
Currently rebuilding my kit piece at a time
50D w/ BG-E2|430EXII|YN560x2|Cac​tusV5x4|White Lightning X800|Vanguard Alta Pro 263 Tripod|Sigma 12-24|70-200 f2.8L|24-105 f4L IS
These images brought to you today by the letter L

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Apr 29, 2011 10:51 |  #10

It can be trial and error until you learn that say, 1/2 power at 10' = f/whatever.

For more on that, see post #3: Tips for Xmas Ball Please

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,268 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 29, 2011 11:24 |  #11

The first metered shot determines all you need to know for exposure! Then it is simple adjustments.

Let us assume you set up lighting and measure f/11 +0.3EV, but you want to use f/8. The desired amount is -2.3EV. So I need to go from current power setting to -2EV (1/4 of current power) and dial in -0.3EV on the variator (fractional EV dial)

If your current power is already low and you cannot further decrease power by -2EV and/or your strobe does not permit fractional EV values, then you need to resort to either ND filter or to increasing distance of light-to-subject.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

MrScott
243 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 29, 2011 15:37 |  #12

I know that the Sekonic 338 and above will also calculate ambient vs. Flash ratios as well. Then provide you with the correct reading to expose at that ratio. i.e. Adjust your flash power to whatever and the meter will tell you if the flash is 10% or 100% of the exposure setting. Very hand if you want to reproduce a ratio of light...

sponsored links

5,934 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do Pros determine Flash output setting?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.