Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 28 Apr 2011 (Thursday) 08:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Polarizer for car photography?

Rebel_XT_Newbie
166 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 28, 2011 08:38 |  #1

So I am trying to get some exterior shots of my car. With it I want to be able to show off the Recaro logo on my front seats through the windshield. I will most likely be doing the shot inside a garage at night where the lights from the garage would shine down on my car. Wondering if this is the best route to achieve this type of setup? This is the filter I am considering: http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_Circular_Polar​izing.html (external link)

Let me know if this will work or if I should be looking at something else? If this makes no sense I will find some pics and post them up of what I am trying to achieve. Thanks!

sponsored links
SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Apr 28, 2011 08:52 |  #2

The filter you listed would be a good polarizing filter to use on any lenses with a 77 mm filter thread.

Whether or not your precise situation will be resolved with a polarizing filter is an unknown, as where the source of the light is relative to all the involved surfaces is an unknown and only a bit of experimentation would tell all the truths.

Why are you considering an indoor shot? Try an outdoor setting, particularly with a cloudy day for soft lighting. Most really serious professional car photography studios I have seen described in magazine articles, etc., usually use the equivalent of a HUGE softbox (20 by 30 feet, for example) over the car, emulating a cloudy sky in the light quality.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Rebel_XT_Newbie
THREAD ­ STARTER
166 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 28, 2011 09:16 |  #3

Thanks for the reply Skip. So the reason why this shot is going to be done in a garage is due to the pitch in the ramp that I want to capture. I will also be doing shots outside typically, but want to capture this shot first. As for the lighting, I need to still figure out the specifics but was going to be positioning the car where the light shines into the car so the black interior can be seen in addition any additional light that I will need to provide.

Mike22487
172 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 28, 2011 09:39 |  #4

It might be better if you can put a strobe in the car lighting the seat, you would probably be better off putting the camera on a tripod one exposure of the outside of the car and the other with the strobe going off at a different exposure (I've seen it done that way before)

you could probably do it another way but it will take some experimenting because it all depends on how reflective the window is, what lights that are falling on the car are creating reflections, angle of the car/windows to the lights, the angle of the camera to the car, and how strong that polarizer is

I would probably read up on how to photograph glass objects, you can try to control the reflections by making diffusion panels out of everyday objects (bed sheets, blankets, shower curtains, pool liners, curtains), to try to add or remove reflections, white will create milky reflections and black will remove reflections, the blue pool liner mimicked a cloudless blue sky (but it was heavy)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Apr 28, 2011 09:43 |  #5

The angles of the lighting, glass, and other surfaces will affect how much effect you can get by using a polarizing filter. Don't forget that you must rotate a polarizing filter to choose the amount of effect it provides. Just be prepared to move the lighting if you cannot wipe out the reflections on the glass after trying all the rotational positions of the filter.

A tip for using a polarizing filter: ALWAYS rotate the filter so the top of the filter goes to the left (orientation is while you're looking through the viewfinder). By rotating the filter in that direction, you won't unscrew the filter from the lens inadvertently and drop it.

It sounds like you may also have "fun" with color control if you're mixing garage lighting with flash.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Rebel_XT_Newbie
THREAD ­ STARTER
166 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 28, 2011 09:53 |  #6

Yeah, never thougth this was going to be easy and may not even work out. I will have to play around and see what I can come up with. If I can't get the seats in the shot that is not a big deal. More like a bonus if I can. The exterior shots should still work out and capture what I am trying to achieve.

Mike22487
172 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 29, 2011 03:31 |  #7

You could always gel the flash to match the lighting in the garage

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 29, 2011 14:51 as a reply to  @ Mike22487's post |  #8

How about using Mike Kelly's architectural photography technique of blending multiple exposures?

You could do some cool interior lighting accents, each on a separate layer, and then blend them into your favorite shot(s) of the body.

Check out Mike's video on this thread.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

TuanTime
759 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 29, 2011 17:18 as a reply to  @ cacawcacaw's post |  #9

I would definitely do a multiple exposure for this type of shot. Light the car exterior however you want and take a shot. Then turn off ALL lights outside the car to kill any reflections and light the interior of the car only, then take a shot. Combine in photoshop and you should get what you want. The polarizer might help but it depends on the angle of the light hitting the windshield, which as Skip mentioned is too unpredictable to know for sure until you try it.

Rebel_XT_Newbie
THREAD ­ STARTER
166 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 29, 2011 18:23 |  #10

Great idea. Thanks for the advice!

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 29, 2011 18:32 as a reply to  @ Rebel_XT_Newbie's post |  #11

What lighting are you going to use?

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

Rebel_XT_Newbie
THREAD ­ STARTER
166 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 29, 2011 22:29 |  #12

I have a 580EX II flash and will try to use as much as the garage light as possible. It is very well lit. If that does not work I have access to a couple of umbrellas and extra lighting but hoping not to have to go this route.

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 30, 2011 00:57 as a reply to  @ Rebel_XT_Newbie's post |  #13

To be honest,, you'd be better off shooting outdoors on an overcast day.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

sponsored links

4,509 views & 0 likes for this thread
Polarizer for car photography?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.