Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 29 Apr 2011 (Friday) 23:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My first try at a dream look

Roamingbull
628 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 29, 2011 23:03 |  #1

This is not my first attempt at a river shot, but after many attempts, a lot of frustration, and even more determination, I think I may be in the ball park, or at least its the best one I have had yet. I know several things I need to do better, such as leaving equipment / hiking bags out of the picture..lol. After having seen many beautiful shots from the group here, I wanted to see what you could pick out of it.

I plan to return here again, more so in the morning, where I hope to improve on the shot. There is a really nice waterfall in the background here also. I hope, with your advice, to be able to get some better shots of both. More on that later....

I hope you dont mind the re-size, as I was anxious to share this, and did not want to wait till I was off duty to do it. So I used our computer at work with very little photo editing software.

Thanks for your input
-Tony

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Why don't you take a picture, it will last longer....
My web site is Eternal Reflections (external link)
Gear List: Got lots of good stuff of my own, and I use Borrow Lens.com for the rest.

sponsored links
daclozer
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 29, 2011 23:08 |  #2

It looks like you hand held maybe. Could be the small size of the pic, but the rest of the picture is not super sharp as it should be. It is a great start, but I would try to get an even slower shutter speed. Use a neutral density filter if needed..

2 30D/BG-E2
70-200L f2.8 Canon
28-75mm f2.8 Tamron
www.freezeframefoto.bi​z (external link)
http://www.etsy.com/sh​op/freezeframefoto (external link)

Roamingbull
THREAD ­ STARTER
628 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 30, 2011 00:01 |  #3

You hit it perfectly on the head...It was hand held. Thank you for confirming that was indeed a contributer, I saw that also. I will have a tripod soon, and I am very anxious to use it. I did try to use a slower shutter speed while setting the camera on a natural tripod a log, but that, in my case, was allowing in too much light. To compinsate, I dialed down the Ex a bit, but it was still a little on the overexposed side. Is this where the ND filter will help? The speed I was using was 1/5 with an Av of 22.

Gear List: Got lots of good stuff of my own, and I use Borrow Lens.com for the rest.

Mr.AnviL
266 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 30, 2011 00:25 |  #4

I have been struggling trying to do similar shots. And also have been doing it hand holding the camera which I'm convinced now is a major contributor to it not comming out right. I think alot has to do with the camera being in shade or the entire area including you and the camera being in shade for shots like this to work. Slowing the shutter speed just makes it way to bright even if you try and compensate with small aperture opening. I've had some success on cloudy days well more success anyways, any amount a sun light is just no good it seems. Alot of shade or a really cloudy day seems to be the way to go that and a tripod. Good luck.

Canon - EOS Rebel T3i
Flick (external link)r

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 30, 2011 06:13 as a reply to  @ Mr.AnviL's post |  #5

You don't necessarily need a slower shutter speed...there's plenty of "silkiness" to the water already, almost to the point of it starting to take on a cotton candy look, and the highlights in the water are blown. Hard to tell about the sharpness with such a small image, but shooting at f/22 will introduce diffraction effects which will soften up an image. To avoid shooting at this small of an aperture, the use of an ND filter (even a good polarizer will give you close to two stops of light reduction) would allow you to use a larger aperture.

Its very easy to blow out the water in shots like these, especially if the light is harsh. If you haven't done so, go into your camera menus and enable the highlights notification (blinkies). After you take a shot, look at the histogram...any blown highlight areas will blink on the LCD...then, its just a matter of making an exposure adjustment until the blinkies stop.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

Roamingbull
THREAD ­ STARTER
628 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 30, 2011 10:47 |  #6

argyle wrote in post #12321158 (external link)
You don't necessarily need a slower shutter speed...there's plenty of "silkiness" to the water already, almost to the point of it starting to take on a cotton candy look, and the highlights in the water are blown. Hard to tell about the sharpness with such a small image, but shooting at f/22 will introduce diffraction effects which will soften up an image. To avoid shooting at this small of an aperture, the use of an ND filter (even a good polarizer will give you close to two stops of light reduction) would allow you to use a larger aperture.

Its very easy to blow out the water in shots like these, especially if the light is harsh. If you haven't done so, go into your camera menus and enable the highlights notification (blinkies). After you take a shot, look at the histogram...any blown highlight areas will blink on the LCD...then, its just a matter of making an exposure adjustment until the blinkies stop.

Sweet, Im taking this advice with me on the next try...Thank you

Roamingbull
THREAD ­ STARTER
628 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 30, 2011 10:50 |  #7

Mr.AnviL wrote in post #12320345 (external link)
I have been struggling trying to do similar shots. And also have been doing it hand holding the camera which I'm convinced now is a major contributor to it not comming out right. I think alot has to do with the camera being in shade or the entire area including you and the camera being in shade for shots like this to work. Slowing the shutter speed just makes it way to bright even if you try and compensate with small aperture opening. I've had some success on cloudy days well more success anyways, any amount a sun light is just no good it seems. Alot of shade or a really cloudy day seems to be the way to go that and a tripod. Good luck.

Thanks it is a lot harder than you would think...But its a challenge for sure. I was having all those issues, and was finding that the time of day is key, along with a tripod. That and the advice from argyle, I am looking forward to my next try. Good luck on your next venture also

dino211
174 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 30, 2011 11:14 |  #8

Once you get a tripod, try a late evening or even a night time long exposure of 5,10 or 20 seconds.
Looks like a nice spot.

Dean
Canon 7Dii, 5Dii, 100-400L, 70-200L f4is, 100 macro, 300L f4is, 24-105L f4i

jeppoy
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 30, 2011 11:30 |  #9

ND filter, Tripod, Remote Shutter Release

No I'm not a photographer, I just shoot with Canon DSLR with those lenses with red thingy...;)

www.digital-xpression.com (external link)

Roamingbull
THREAD ­ STARTER
628 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 30, 2011 14:14 |  #10

jeppoy wrote in post #12322239 (external link)
ND filter, Tripod, Remote Shutter Release

I was going to use a 10 sec delay, That will be my next purchase...

Roamingbull
THREAD ­ STARTER
628 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 30, 2011 14:15 |  #11

dino211 wrote in post #12322184 (external link)
Once you get a tripod, try a late evening or even a night time long exposure of 5,10 or 20 seconds.
Looks like a nice spot.

It really is...tuff to get into, and even harder to get out of. But worth it..

mathogre
Goldmember
3,577 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 30, 2011 14:23 as a reply to  @ Roamingbull's post |  #12

The 10 second delay will work just fine.

I couldn't find what camera you have. I looked on both your website and flickr page. No matter. If your camera has live view, use that. Have your camera on a tripod, compose the shot either through the viewfinder or live view, use manual focus to get it close, and then use live view to focus. With live view, you can zoom into an area you select. You zoom in 2 steps, 5x and then 10x. Select a point and make it sharp. Go back to normal view, and shoot away!

Last, and certainly not least, Post Your Results! :D Good luck.

UPDATE

If you go to the Zenfolio link in my signature, the first two photos are of silky water. Enjoy!

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collection (external link)

Roamingbull
THREAD ­ STARTER
628 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 30, 2011 19:04 |  #13

mathogre wrote in post #12322853 (external link)
The 10 second delay will work just fine.

I couldn't find what camera you have. I looked on both your website and flickr page. No matter. If your camera has live view, use that. Have your camera on a tripod, compose the shot either through the viewfinder or live view, use manual focus to get it close, and then use live view to focus. With live view, you can zoom into an area you select. You zoom in 2 steps, 5x and then 10x. Select a point and make it sharp. Go back to normal view, and shoot away!

Last, and certainly not least, Post Your Results! :D Good luck.

UPDATE

If you go to the Zenfolio link in my signature, the first two photos are of silky water. Enjoy!

Your shots are absolutely beautiful! (As well as many other images on your site) I hope to come within a 10th of that some day. My site is just in the works, not much there right now but a basic framework for what I hope to someday represent my voice and my photographs there. I shoot with a Canon 50D. It does have live view, and have played with it a bit, but still have to learn it in its full. I will make it a point to play with it more.

I will post my results! The hike is a bit extensive to get down in to it, and it may be a couple of weeks, but you can be sure Ill be back there soon. I believe there is "That" shot there...I just need to compose it right. With all the great advice I have received here, I may just have a chance.

-Tony

mathogre
Goldmember
3,577 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 30, 2011 21:20 as a reply to  @ Roamingbull's post |  #14

Thank you Tony!

You will do fine. You already have a great start, considering what you did was handheld. :D

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collection (external link)

Roamingbull
THREAD ­ STARTER
628 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 05, 2011 14:17 |  #15

Well, I made it back down with the Tripod. Much more clarity and sharpness on the background....The water level was down, so it was not as full as last time, but still managed to get what I think are a couple of decent shots. As promised, I am posting the results...

Thanks for the help, still much more learning to do, but you cant go wrong when its so fun to do.

Thanks
-Tony

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

1,718 views & 0 likes for this thread
My first try at a dream look
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.