Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 03 Aug 2010 (Tuesday) 21:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Local McD's used my pictures...

Gym ­ Star ­ Photos
138 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 26, 2011 01:19 |  #226

As with everyone else, would love to know how this turned out... and if McDonalds kicked in a few extra bucks for all the Big Macs and chicken nuggets they sold after everyone read this!

sponsored links
S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 27, 2011 15:39 |  #227

mritchy wrote in post #12291801 (external link)
In my business law class today at SMU we discussed this very issue and concluded that in modern day,
images are automatically copyrighted upon creation. It is not a necessity to file with the copyright office.

Ask next time about what damages per se are, why that it an advantage when litigating, and how filing a (C) impacts that process.

If you're in business school, learn this early -- The law means nothing unless you can litigate and collect something. Pay close attention to venue, governing law, and legal entities as you study. Avoid arbitration clauses. Avoid patents which would allow those in other countries to steal ideas. Good luck.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

sfaust
Goldmember
2,304 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 29, 2011 09:32 |  #228

S.Horton wrote in post #12304559 (external link)
Ask next time about what damages per se are, why that it an advantage when litigating, and how filing a (C) impacts that process.

Ditto, you only got a small portion of what you really need to know about copyright. And the information you did get will leave you in a very vulnerable position if you follow that advice alone.

Stephen
Commercial Photography (external link)

MadlyAlive
335 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 29, 2011 09:54 |  #229

So would it be wise for even an amateur photographer to copyright images? Is there anything that needs to happen prior to copyrighting the images? i.e.: have a legal business entity, insurance, etc?

I would hate for something like this to happen to me, even though I do not get paid for my work.

Who knows though...an image I took last year could end up being sold for millions in 20 years!

5D Mark III Gripped ~ 7D Gripped ~ EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM ~ EF 24-70 f/2.8L USM ~ EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM ~ EF 50mm f/1.8 II ~ 550EX ~ 600EX-RT

TopHatMoments
Goldmember
1,173 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 29, 2011 10:08 |  #230

Copyright them under your name and if you feel that someday you might fetch a good price for your work, gather a batch together and copyright them.

Canon to PhotoShop, “Beam me up”! LR3 set course for CS5, Warp speed 64!___ ((dpp___/==***^***

sfaust
Goldmember
2,304 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 29, 2011 15:02 |  #231

All you need to register is the images, $35, and the time to file it. Anyone can file. In fat, for $35, you can register all the images you have ever take if so inclined. If you are going to send in a registration for some, why not include them all? Then register only the new ones every three months and you're covered. There is no need to try to determine whats worth registering and whats not, since you can do them all at the same time for the same price.

For a professional, its very important. For a non-professional, it really depends. But for $35 a year, registering everything you shot that year is probably not a bad 'insurance policy' for someone that shoots a lot of images and posts them on-line.

Stephen

Rivest
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 30, 2011 21:46 |  #232

What if the picture was copyrighted after it was stolen? If you copyright once a year, someone could steal it before you copyrighted it.

..?

Hi, I'm David.

lauderdalems
759 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 30, 2011 21:50 |  #233

The picture is copyrighted at the time the picture is actually taken. You can later register that copyright.

http://gamedayphotos.u​wa.edu/ (external link)

The ­ Framed ­ Life
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 30, 2011 22:16 |  #234
bannedPermanent ban

Is there an electronic copyright site for Canada?

The Framed Life (external link)
Canon 30D
70-200mm F/4L, 24-70 f/2.8L

►►► 30D For Sale ◄◄◄
James Robertson

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 30, 2011 22:22 |  #235

Rivest wrote in post #12324764 (external link)
What if the picture was copyrighted after it was stolen? If you copyright once a year, someone could steal it before you copyrighted it.

..?

You have 90 days to register after publication.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

sfaust
Goldmember
2,304 posts
Joined Nov 2006

May 02, 2011 06:38 |  #236

Rivest wrote in post #12324764 (external link)

..?

There is that risk. But I would guess most amateurs don't register at all. If they do it once a year, at $35, they are in far better shape than not.

Ideally, you want to register you images before publishing them to anyone (internet, client, website, etc). But that would be cost prohibitive for those not doing this as a profession. Alternatively, registering it every 90 days makes sense, but you would need to track whats been published and what isn't for the purpose of registration. That may end up being two registrations, one for published images, and another for unpublished. Easier if you do it for each project as unregistered, and build that cost into each quote you make to clients.

Stephen

i_am_cdn
258 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2009

May 02, 2011 14:07 |  #237

The Framed Life wrote in post #12324914 (external link)
Is there an electronic copyright site for Canada?

Nope, in Canada there is no requirement to register your copyright.

Douglas Portz Photography
www.portz.ca (external link)
www.winnipegsportsteam​photos.com (external link)
www.winnipegsportsphot​os.com (external link)
www.winnipegeventphoto​s.com (external link)

bdpaco
696 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 02, 2011 17:46 |  #238

Correct me if I misunderstood what I read, but in Canada, isn't there some scenarios where the photographer doesn't automatically own the copyright?

My Blog
http://rickbandaphotog​raphy.blogspot.com/ (external link)
My Website
www.rickbandaphoto.com (external link)

The ­ Framed ­ Life
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 02, 2011 18:25 |  #239
bannedPermanent ban

bdpaco wrote in post #12335050 (external link)
Correct me if I misunderstood what I read, but in Canada, isn't there some scenarios where the photographer doesn't automatically own the copyright?

If shooting under a contract there it is stated otherwise?

The Framed Life (external link)
Canon 30D
70-200mm F/4L, 24-70 f/2.8L

►►► 30D For Sale ◄◄◄
James Robertson

sfaust
Goldmember
2,304 posts
Joined Nov 2006

May 02, 2011 22:20 |  #240

From what I was lead to believe in various discussions with pro photographers in Canada, unless otherwise agreed to, the person who commissions the photographs (client, employer, etc) owns the copyright. Pretty much the opposite of here in the US.

Stephen

sponsored links

44,948 views & 0 likes for this thread
Local McD's used my pictures...
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.