Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 21 Apr 2011 (Thursday) 12:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Editing with Layers in Lightroom: onOne Software's "Perfect Layers"

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 30, 2011 15:46 |  #31

Friedl's argument from the above post is true enough:

From a technological standpoint, this was quite a ho-hum development. Basically, he's created a super-lite version of Photoshop that, like any other application, can be called from Lightroom to work on a copy of a photo. Its benefit seems to be a very simple user interface and it will certainly appeal to non-technical photographers that want more pixel-editing functionality than Lightroom provides, but it's of no interest if you already use Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, Paint Shop Pro, Gimp, or any of the other myriad of pixel-editing applications out there.

Although it's a stretch that there are a "myriad" of apps that support layers.

To be sure, the Perfect Layers app is just a plug-in that has a layers function but without the functionality of Photoshop, Elements, etc -- in that sense if you have one of those apps and want layers then you get more by using them.

And, his point about "destructive" editing is certainly true in the sense that like all plug-ins it creates a psd/tiff that you are then editing and when you save the file, well, you save the edited file although the layers are intact. In my little bit of testing I didn't try opening a file in Photoshop to see how you might be able to work with them, though, and I also didn't save and re-open a file in Perfect Layers to see if you could revisit and adjust those layers.

So, all that being said, will this be useful? Like was said, if you have an editing app that supports layers, the only thing you might like about it is that it's "small" -- the interface is like a mini-layers palette without all the overhead of a full-bore editing app and that could be appealing. On the downside is the limited functionality, meaning that if you really need to work over something you'll still need to resort to PS or whatever.

As to whether this will in any way infringe on the PS market, well, I'd say nah. Lightroom itself has certainly become more of a go-to app for many of us, but we still have either PS or another app on hand.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links
René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 01, 2011 14:37 |  #32

It costs more then Elements. I'd go for Elements.
Since I already own PSCS4, I think I'll go with Jeffreys version: http://regex.info/blog​/lightroom-goodies/layers (external link)

http://www.johanfoto.c​om …ct-layers-not-so-perfect/ (external link)

Don't think I appreciate the stance Kelby cs. take: Very defensive. RC is not exactly forthcoming (if that's the word I'm looking for) in his responses on Scotts' blog (external link). Oh, and after commenting on the NAPP forum about it, Andrew Rodney got banned over there… :rolleyes:

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 01, 2011 16:46 |  #33

René, I've never spent time on that blog -- is RC a regular, part of the Kelby team, or what?

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

tekkie
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 01, 2011 20:26 |  #34

I bet this is in LR4 anyway, I installed it but its nothing special, I agree that PS elements is probably a better choice

Canon 1DMKII, 7D, 5DMKII, 1D MKII
Canon 500L, 100-400L
, 70-200 2.8L, 17-40L, 24-105L, 24mm 2.8,50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm 2.8 SF, 100mm Macro
Canon 430 & 580 flashes

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 01, 2011 21:14 |  #35

tekkie wrote in post #12329575 (external link)
I bet this is in LR4 anyway, I installed it but its nothing special, I agree that PS elements is probably a better choice

True, it's a "mini" app. It can't compete with Elements/Photoshop/Gim​p/etc. In that sense, it's like other LR plugins like Enfuse for HDR, Noise Ninja, Mogrify, etc. -- nothing you can't do with more features/power in Photoshop/Elements. Oh well.

Kelby doesn't disagree with that -- in the blog linked to above, the one comment he made during the "discussion" was that yes, for those that have Elements/Photoshop in their workflow, that's the way to go, but for those who don't and don't plan to, well this is an interesting little tool.

Tony

spesmeadeus
987 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 01, 2011 21:50 |  #36

I am hoping lightroom 4 has an integrated feature like this but I am not holding my breath. I have CS5 so I am not worried.

How does focal length affect portraits? (external link)
| Website (external link) | Blog (external link) | flickr (external link) | Gear | Facebook (external link) |

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 02, 2011 05:47 |  #37

tonylong wrote in post #12328527 (external link)
is RC a regular, part of the Kelby team, or what?

RC teaches at Kelbytraining AFAIK.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sponsored links

9,142 views & 0 likes for this thread
Editing with Layers in Lightroom: onOne Software's "Perfect Layers"
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.