Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
Thread started 30 Apr 2011 (Saturday) 22:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

R.I.P

Wallacewang
75 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 30, 2011 22:44 |  #1

I took this on a bridge where I fish at pretty frequently. The story is that Chris (the person who's name is on the cross), died while trying to save a drowning boy. The boy saved himself, but Christopher got sucked in to the undertow. I guess Christopher was fishing when a teenage boy, that was fishing with a friend, got too close to the guard rail of the bridge and fell in. Chris jumped in to save him but got sucked into the undertow and never came back up. When I do night fishing there all alone it's a little creepy with that cross staring back at me the whole time. Anyhow, here's an HDR image of his memorial on the bridge.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i116.photobucke​t.com …raphy/HDR/chris​topher.jpg (external link)

Canon EOS Rebel T1i - Canon 55-250mm EFS f/4-5.6 IS lens - Canon 50mm f/1.8 II lens (nifty fifty) - Photomatix Pro 4, Photoshop 5.5

sponsored links
thomatis
158 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 01, 2011 01:35 |  #2

Quite sad, but no HDR image here.

Wallacewang
THREAD ­ STARTER
75 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 01, 2011 03:17 |  #3

How do you figure no HDR image? Do I need to post the original Single RAW I took it from? Looks like an HDR image to me.... Would you prefer it be overcooked? lol

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i116.photobucke​t.com …o5/drjohn24/_MG​_5384o.jpg (external link)

Canon EOS Rebel T1i - Canon 55-250mm EFS f/4-5.6 IS lens - Canon 50mm f/1.8 II lens (nifty fifty) - Photomatix Pro 4, Photoshop 5.5

Joe ­ Ravenstein
Goldmember
2,338 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 01, 2011 04:40 |  #4

Looks like a HDR image to these tired eyes

Canon 60D,18-55mm,55-250mm,50mm compact macro, AF ext tubes. Sigma 8-16mm uwa, 18-250mm, 85mm F1.4, 150-500mm

thomatis
158 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 01, 2011 09:29 as a reply to  @ Wallacewang's post |  #5

How do you figure no HDR image?[/QUOTE wrote:
=How do you figure no HDR image?

OK, where are the areas that are very brightly lit,- almost 'blown' ?

Where are the areas of deep shadow,showing near to no detail ?

This is just a single exposure snap shot in my opinion.

Wallacewang
THREAD ­ STARTER
75 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 01, 2011 10:59 |  #6

It's a single exposure RAW that was split into three Raw's, at -/+2 EV, if that's what your referring to. I showed you the original -/+0 EV RAW converted to .jpeg to be able to post to the forum.

Where are your HDR images? I tried looking but couldn't seem to find anything you posted?

Do you know what an HDR image looks like after it's been merged and tone mapped?
It looks similar tot he one I posted up at the beginning of the thread.

I don't claim that it's the best HDR known to man or anything, but to discount it as a snapshot and discredit it as as HDR image is just rude and unbecoming as a C&C.

Maybe your just trying to stir the pot?

tkerr
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 01, 2011 11:05 |  #7

It's a Faux HDR using just a single image. The difference between a Faux(single Shot) and a true multiple shot HDR image is noticeable even if you artificially create multiple exposure using different EV's from a single exposure.

Tim Kerr
Money Talks, But all I hear mine saying is, Goodbye!
F1, try it you'll like it.

Wallacewang
THREAD ­ STARTER
75 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 01, 2011 11:27 |  #8

I go fishing there once a week, so I will go back and take a bracketed exposure set next time I'm out and then we can compare the differences. I know it makes a difference and it's doesn't cover 100% of the dynamic range. A Faux HDR, would be tonemapped jpeg. Using a single RAW to create an HDR isn't Faux, it's just an alternative method with less dynamic results

thomatis
158 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 01, 2011 11:39 |  #9

An HDR Image doesn't need to be 'tone mapped' !
This is part of a process people follow thru, using Photomatix, and the like.
If you ever get around to it, check out 'Exposure Fusion' for Lightroom.
No Tonal stuffing around, just 'merging' the images for the best result.
Everything looks normal.
The number of exposures depends on the dynamic range of the scene. Without doing any metering, you can capture all the dynamic range, if:
A. Your least exposed shot managed to capture the highlights without blowing them.
B. Your most exposed shot displayed a good exposure in the deep shadows so you will be able to lift them without noise appearing.

Between shots A and B, do shots 2EV apart, and that's it.

Wallacewang
THREAD ­ STARTER
75 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 01, 2011 11:46 |  #10

I'm not a fan of the natural look, I prefer a surreal effect. It's a matter of preference

Wallacewang
THREAD ­ STARTER
75 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 01, 2011 11:47 |  #11

Joe Ravenstein wrote in post #12325830 (external link)
Looks like a HDR image to these tired eyes

BTW, Thanks Joe for your support

Kwirk
237 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 01, 2011 18:04 |  #12

Yeah, that's not really HDR image, and I don't mean because you took a single RAW file and split it into three, although that would be another point. HDR aims to capture detail in the brightest and the darkest areas. Sure, you split the original file into three separate images to form a faux HDR, but there's still detail that you couldn't capture because you used one image. The white boat in the background, for example.

What you've posted is basically just a heavily tone mapped image.

Wallacewang
THREAD ­ STARTER
75 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 01, 2011 18:35 |  #13

if you say so

Kwirk
237 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 02, 2011 08:22 |  #14

The point of HDR imaging is so that you can see detail in the darkest and the lightest areas of an image that you normally could not see with just one exposure. Nothing about your image is HDR. Nothing at all. It's just a heavily tone mapped image. You don't need to get all defensive when someone points it out.

Do a little homework.

http://en.wikipedia.or​g …igh_dynamic_ran​ge_imaging (external link)
http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Tone_mapping (external link)

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
6,141 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

May 02, 2011 10:01 |  #15

Just to add some clarity to the discussion - it is the scene itself that makes something "HDR" not the workflow or processing tools. I think the point of the initial comment was that the scene itself does not possess a dynamic range that requires the capture, merging and tonal reproduction techniques associated with HDR processing. I agree with this assessment, based on the 0EV jpeg posted above.

If the OP's point was to get a "look" that is heavily laden with color shifts and exaggerated local contrast and saturation, then mission accomplished (I think the OP called it a "surreal" look). This argument is pretty typical of the morph that HDR imaging has undergone, from an imaging technique to a catch-all phrase for a particular look.

The 0EV jpeg posted by the OP is a well-exposed image that captures all of the relevant scene information and, thus, demonstrates that the scene itself is not one that possesses a high dynamic range - if you cared about the details in the white boat in the background, then I suppose you could argue that you would need one more exposure, maybe at -2EV, to capture the whole scene.

Hope this helps.

Kirk

Kirk
---

sponsored links

5,915 views & 0 likes for this thread
R.I.P
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.