Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 01 May 2011 (Sunday) 19:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Crumpler Master Delhi 510 - Mini review (A lot of images)

MR ­ do ­ little
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 01, 2011 19:46 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

After acquiring the Crumpler Beefy pocket (see this thread) i couldn't resist looking at Crumplers other offerings in the Holy Cow Leather bag series.

So recently i received the Crumpler Master Delhi 510 from Amazon UK which seems to be the only place where you can get this bag, since it seems to be discontinued in this particular size (that's what 510 stands for).

My take on shoulder bags is that they are useful when you need a small amount of gear that you don't need to carry over a great length of time.

I already have a excellent Lowepro Stealthreporter 400AW which takes more then my shoulder likes.... :lol:

It lacks a laptop pocket though which is the reason i was contemplating getting a new shoulder bag to begin with.

My main use of for this bags is for smaller events where i don't need a lot of gear but where i need to access and change lenses easily. For this a shoulder bag is better suited then a backpack.

***Update "mini review"***

Iv now used the Master Delhi for a few days and here follows my impression of it.

My requirements when acquiring this bag was the following:

• Small as possible
  • Fit my 13" Macbook Air
  • Fit a A900 with lens attached plus 1-2 lenses
  • A bag to use on smaller events/concerts where i don't need that much gear

Onto the bag.

Quality
The quality on this bag is excellent as one expect from Crumpler, this bag being in their Holy Cow Leather series make it stand out though.

The stitching on the leather, the zipper, velcro and fabric is all top notch. It really feels like a solid product when you pick it up.

Now of course i haven't used it more then a week so my impression is just based on how the bag looks and feels. Maybe time and use will tell differently.

But for now it get's top scores for quality.

Layout/Function
This is not a standard shoulder photobag since it has something called a photo pouch, which makes this bag a lot more interesting at least to me.

This layout and design allows you to remove the photo pouch and use the bag as regular laptop/messenger bag. Which is quite neat if you ask me, and quite logical given the design and looks of this bag.

There is of course limitations and compromises with such a design, for instances the main front pocket "shares" space with the main compartment where the photo pouch is located. Which means that if you want to carry a flash in the front pocket, it wont be possible unless you remove the photo pouch, and once you fitted the flash you will really have to work hard to get the photo pouch back in there since the flash protrude into the bag.

So larger items in the front pocket is only practical if your using the bag as a regular messenger bag.

The "lid" of the photo pouch can be held up with a velcro strap going thru the top handle of the photo pouch this so you will have quick access to the gear inside when you open the main flap. You can of course have it top open/close separately with the zippers on the pouch.

One downside if you do attached the "lid" to the main flap is that the access to the laptop compartment is blocked, now it doesn't take more then a second to undo the velcro and take out the laptop but it's worth mentioning.

You can of course customize the photo pouch with the provided dividers, if you don't need a lens attached the pouch can hold at least a pro body (non gripped) a 70-200/2,8 , 85mm prime and a 50mm prime. (There are dividers so you can stack lenses on top of each other as well)

The laptop compartment is rated to hold 12-13", my MBA 13" fit's perfectly anything bigger then 13" won't fit though.

Inside of the main compartment where the photo pouch sits, there are pockets on all sides, these can be used for memory cards, card readers, wallet, MBA superdrive etc. Thicker items then the mentioned above won't fit when you use the photo pouch though.

Large leather flap has a big zipper pocket that can hold quite a bit of stuff as well, cd's key's documents

The size (510) is perfect for me, but for gripped bodies or for more gear i highly recommend the larger sizes such as the 620 or 770. You don't have much choice anyway since the 510 seems to have been discontinued. ;)

I find the layout to be quite good considering it's compromise between a photobag and messenger bag.

Ergonomics

My biggest gripes with shoulder bags, and especially Crumpler shoulder bags have been their boxy design. And to be honest it still is...however if your gonna carry a laptop it really doesn't matter if the bag conforms to your body since the laptop wont...:lol:

So i have accepted the fact lol. Should be noted that the Master Delhi is quite a bit smaller then the fullsized shoulder bags from Crumpler. This of course reflects on how much you can fit in the bag, but for my needs it quite perfect.

The shoulder pad is nice and comfortable to wear, the strap it self is heavy duty and the buckle to adjust it is welll…even more heavy duty..:lol:

It does have a support strap that can go over your chest (iv tucked it in the shoulder pad on the images) but i never used it.

So while the bag isn't as soft and moldable to your body as a Lowepro Stealthreporter it's comfortable enough. A positive feature of the more robust design is that i feel the Master Delhi will protect my gear a a lot better then the stealhreporter against bumps and daily use.

Pros:
Small enough
Top notch quality
Can serve as both a photo and messenger bag
A very stylish design that doesn't scream photobag

Cons:
Due to it's "dual function design" the front pocket is limited in use, and laptop access can be less straightforward when compared to other bags.

Master Delhi 510 and Beefy Pocket 13" side by side.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Regards
Paul L.

sponsored links
MR ­ do ­ little
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 01, 2011 19:50 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

Front / Back, there is a flap in the middle at the back to lift the bag in. This instead of handle on top of the bag.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Side /Flap pocket
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Raincover pouch / Raincover on
IMAGE NOT FOUND

No photo pouch to use the bag as a regular bag / Photo pouch installed
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Photo pouch loaded with gear / Empty photo pouch , it comes with more dividers then can be seen here
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Closer look at the Photo pouch / It's well padded and quite solid
IMAGE NOT FOUND

MBA 13" in the laptop pocket / Front compartment have a lot of pockets
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Regards
Paul L.

Blurr ­ Cube
...a lucky id-iot that didn't get electrocuted...
15,147 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 01, 2011 20:29 as a reply to  @ MR do little's post |  #3

Those are some extremely stylish bags. The product shots are well... Excellent!

I'm craving a steak now... or Chik-Fil-A? :confused:

Too bad these are UK only. :mad:

| Canon EOS Systems |

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 01, 2011 21:23 |  #4

Interesting looking bags! Thanks for posting.

Best,

Dave

Anke
"that rump shot is just adorable"
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2009
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 01, 2011 21:29 |  #5

The bag looks cool but the photography of it looks better ;) :)

Anke
1D Mark IV | 16-35L f/2.8 II | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 70-200L f/2.8 II | 50 f/1.4 | 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT
Join the Official POTN UK South-East Thread | Follow me on Twitter (external link) | Tunbridge Wells (external link) | Flickr (external link)

Venno
151 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 02, 2011 06:19 |  #6

The delhi 510 looks awesome. I might be forced into buying one.

MR ­ do ­ little
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 02, 2011 09:19 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

Hi Venno!

It's looks even better in real life. :-)

Did you snag the last one from amazon.co.uk (external link) ? It's now unavailable, since the 510 size have been discontinued for the Master Delhi.

There are however smaller and larger sizes available from Crumpler EU sites, such as the 620 and 770 (770 is only in brown though)

For someone who want's to carry some larger/more gear the 620 will probably be a better fit.

Regards
Paul L.

Venno
151 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 02, 2011 10:54 |  #8

I actually had a look on amazon for one but they don't have the holy cow version sadly.

I like it so much better than the new delhi ones.

Looks like it's out of stock everywhere :(

MR ­ do ­ little
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 02, 2011 11:00 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

Where are you located ?

Regards
Paul L.

Mojoman
37 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 02, 2011 11:09 |  #10

Thanks for the mini review - it is a nice looking bag.

MR ­ do ­ little
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 02, 2011 11:20 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

Thans, iv yet to give the mini review though. :-) It's coming soon.

Regards
Paul L.

Mojoman
37 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 02, 2011 11:39 |  #12

Yes - I guess I should have worded it as a nice introduction to the bag!

pprice
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 02, 2011 11:58 |  #13

Man I like that! Is it deep enough for a 1D3 and 70-200 you think? Guess 13" is as big as you can go with laptop huh? Oh well, would fit Ipad anyway :-)

Great photos!!

1D MKIII 16-35 2.8L MKII 24-70 2.8L 70-200 2.8L [COLOR=black]IS 300 2.8L IS (few others) Bunch of AB lighting
Southern by the grace of God

Venno
151 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 02, 2011 12:00 |  #14

MR do little wrote in post #12332806 (external link)
Where are you located ?

UK.

MR ­ do ­ little
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 02, 2011 12:12 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

Well then you should be able to get hold of smaller or larger, units. Or maybe if you can find someone who has the 510 on the shelf.

What's really annoying is that you can't order from a www.crumpler.eu (external link) if you live in a country that has it's own crumpler webshop.

EU shop says they have the 510 in stock..

http://shop.crumpler.e​u …ils&product_id=​MDE510-001 (external link)

Regards
Paul L.

sponsored links

14,989 views & 0 likes for this thread
Crumpler Master Delhi 510 - Mini review (A lot of images)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.