Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 29 Apr 2011 (Friday) 00:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Replace my Manfrotto 496 Ballhead with a....

effstop
810 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 29, 2011 00:18 |  #1

I'm looking at replacing my Manfrotto 496 (need less sag w/my current gear and panning option) and trying to decide whether to move to the Manfrotto 498 or something like the HorrusBenunu FX-34Q. I guess it comes down to personal preference but open to feedback and other options.

If I had the duckets I'd be looking at a big-boy head such as Kirk or Acratech but alas I'd like to spend less than $150.

5D MKI | 1D MKII | 24-70mm 2.8 L | 80-200MM 2.8 L | 400mm 5.6 L |50mm 1.8

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 29, 2011 06:21 |  #2

I think all the4 Manfrotto ballheads sag, at least the 49x series. I had a 498 that drove me nuts. I replaced it with a Markins M10.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

AzzKicker
Goldmember
1,105 posts
Joined Jul 2003

May 02, 2011 21:56 |  #3

THIS ONE (external link) HOlds more weight than your 496. Maybe it's a good options. I've always been happy with my Giottos products.

Ruben D. Zamora
Canon 6D Mark II, Canon 20-35L,Genesis 200 Strobe

effstop
THREAD ­ STARTER
810 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 02, 2011 23:44 |  #4

AzzKicker wrote in post #12336584 (external link)
THIS ONE (external link) HOlds more weight than your 496. Maybe it's a good options. I've always been happy with my Giottos products.

Prior to seeing this post I went to the camera store this afternoon and this is what the salesperson recommended for a sub $200 head. He was pretty fired up on this head as it has a lot of really neat features and for not too bad of a price. It's nice to actually touch products vs. shopping online.

5D MKI | 1D MKII | 24-70mm 2.8 L | 80-200MM 2.8 L | 400mm 5.6 L |50mm 1.8

AzzKicker
Goldmember
1,105 posts
Joined Jul 2003

May 03, 2011 08:37 |  #5

Ya, sometimes I'll look at products at store, but buy online LOL. sorry but I usually go with the cheaper price unless its not too far off.

Ruben D. Zamora
Canon 6D Mark II, Canon 20-35L,Genesis 200 Strobe

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,391 views & 0 likes for this thread
Replace my Manfrotto 496 Ballhead with a....
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.