Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 03 May 2011 (Tuesday) 10:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

new iMacs have arrived

kingdavidd
217 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 03, 2011 10:15 |  #1

who is upgrading? i am from my 2008 aluminum macbook! yay!

to iMac owners: do they historically have 2 HDD bays?

one of the options for storage is to have both a HDD and SSD. am i seeing this right?

1TB Serial ATA Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive

does this mean i can just get the 1TB option and buy and install myself an SSD from OWC?

thanks!

7D | EF 24-105L f4 | Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 | Tamron 18-250 f3.5-6.3 | 270 EX | Slik Sprint Pro ii | Gitzo GT1541 with Manfrotto Head 496rc2
wish list: 70-200 f2.8 IS ii

sponsored links
Headshotzx
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 03, 2011 10:27 |  #2

@ SSD, it would seem so, because they'd be really stupid to have different builds for different custom purchases.

I'm sold. Gonna get this baby. My Macbook 13" Aluminum non-pro served me well. Haha.

Zexun | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) |

Smurff
332 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Sep 2010

May 03, 2011 10:30 |  #3

i just picked up the 13" macbook pro, the lower spec one, but its still a great machine, my first Mac aswell, im pretty damn impressed.

as im new to the Mac game, may as well ask while im here, any highly recommended things i should get for it, software wise?

-smurff

jffuerte
648 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 03, 2011 10:46 |  #4

Thinking about getting a top end 27" imac. Anyone think there would be a benefit in getting the 3.4 i7 over the 3.1 i5? Primarily using it for lightroom, photoshop, final cut pro editing.

I think I'm just gonna stick with the 1TB drive and skip on the SSD as it extends shipping out to 4-6 weeks and I'll probably get a TB drive later on.

Definitely going with the GPU upgrade, 8GB RAM and Applecare.

Suggestions?

-Jerel
Instagram (external link)
Fuerte Photography (external link)
Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

professoryeti
573 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 03, 2011 11:08 |  #5

I got the 2010 update and love it. I'm sure these are even better, obviously. My i5 2.8 from last year should keep me going for a few revisions though.

Saturnalia for all you have.
5D Mark II | 5D | 24mm f/1.4L II | 35mm f/1.4L | Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 | Canon 100mm f/2.8L | 24-105mm f/4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |
JoshNibertPhotography.​com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 03, 2011 11:24 |  #6

kingdavidd wrote in post #12339308 (external link)
to iMac owners: do they historically have 2 HDD bays? one of the options for storage is to have both a HDD and SSD. am i seeing this right?

Yes.

does this mean i can just get the 1TB option and buy and install myself an SSD from OWC?

Unfortunately, it's an invasive procedure and unless you're good at taking iMacs apart it's not something you'd want to try. However, since the 27" has two Thunderbolt ports, you could use one of the upcoming 6g SSD drives with one of the upcoming external Thunderbolt enclosures (which should support 6g drives).

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

silvrbullet
616 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 03, 2011 11:24 |  #7

kingdavidd wrote in post #12339308 (external link)
who is upgrading? i am from my 2008 aluminum macbook! yay!

to iMac owners: do they historically have 2 HDD bays?

one of the options for storage is to have both a HDD and SSD. am i seeing this right?

1TB Serial ATA Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive

thanks!

No, it doesn't have two HDD bays. When you buy the HDD & SSD option, its a custom bracket that gets the job done. I think there are hacks to later add an SSD, but its much preferred to get it direct from Apple as a BTO option.

Sony A7RII | Zeiss Batis 2.8/18 | Fuji X-T1 | 23 F/1.4

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
18,437 posts
Gallery: 319 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

May 03, 2011 12:10 |  #8

And no matte screens... :(

Levina (not Lavina, Lavinia, Levinia, Ludwina and what not, mkay?)
My flickr (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 03, 2011 12:52 |  #9

Get a small one and attach a second screen if you want?

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
18,437 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 03, 2011 13:00 |  #10

^ Yes. Either this, or a low end MBP + second screen. Don't know yet. I hope to see some Geekbench results for the new iMacs real soon!

kingdavidd
THREAD ­ STARTER
217 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 03, 2011 22:56 |  #11

silvrbullet wrote in post #12339673 (external link)
No, it doesn't have two HDD bays. When you buy the HDD & SSD option, its a custom bracket that gets the job done. I think there are hacks to later add an SSD, but its much preferred to get it direct from Apple as a BTO option.

boooo!!! the BTO option is too expensive!! argh!

7D | EF 24-105L f4 | Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 | Tamron 18-250 f3.5-6.3 | 270 EX | Slik Sprint Pro ii | Gitzo GT1541 with Manfrotto Head 496rc2
wish list: 70-200 f2.8 IS ii

iSax1234
192 posts
Joined Jul 2010

May 03, 2011 23:09 |  #12

I'm really happy with the Apple's computer line up now but thew new iMacs make me feel the Mac Pros are way over priced. I can get a 21.5 in 1080p LED back lit IPS iMac with a quad core processor and thunderbolt for 1200 dollars, but a Quad core Mac Pro starts at 2400.

Now I know thats not necessarily Apples to Apples, but it seems Apple should offer Mac Pros in 6,8, or 12 cores and not offer a quad core machine, when they have Macbook Pro Quad cores and iMac Quad cores almost standard across the line (the 13in MBP being the exception).

If this was last year when I was buying my computer for college, I would have struggled with 15in iMac for like 2300 dollars or pretty much similarly speced out iMac with IPS display for about 1400 bucks with Apple care, I think could proceed to get an iPad and still be cheaper than the MBP.

5d gripped - 85mm f/1.8 - Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 - 430EX - Yongnuo 560
Flickr (external link) - My Site (external link)
Andrew

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
18,437 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 04, 2011 06:01 |  #13

iSax1234 wrote in post #12343551 (external link)
I'm really happy with the Apple's computer line up now but thew new iMacs make me feel the Mac Pros are way over priced. I can get a 21.5 in 1080p LED back lit IPS iMac with a quad core processor and thunderbolt for 1200 dollars, but a Quad core Mac Pro starts at 2400.

Now I know thats not necessarily Apples to Apples, but it seems Apple should offer Mac Pros in 6,8, or 12 cores and not offer a quad core machine, when they have Macbook Pro Quad cores and iMac Quad cores almost standard across the line (the 13in MBP being the exception).

The Mac Pros are also about to be updated any day now, so wait a bit.
Personally I wish Apple would still keep those quad core Mac Pro's and drop the price significantly so there would be a real alternative to a MacMini at the low end and a Mac Pro at the high end. Now there's only the iMac to fill in the gap, but nothing without a screen.

iMigraine
64 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 04, 2011 16:13 |  #14

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #12344583 (external link)
The Mac Pros are also about to be updated any day now, so wait a bit.

(Wow, I just noticed that your last name is similar to mine. I think we're related.)

I want to get an iMac soon but I think I'll wait for OS X Lion because of the TRIM support for SSD. Right now TRIM is supported by Apple but only on there SSDs. Maybe with Lion's support, and using iFixit's help, one could swap drives to an aftermarket SSD for less. Apparently, it's easier to do then previous iMacs.

Also for Adobe Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 3, I would love to know the speed differences between the i5 and i7 CPUs. An i5 might be more than enough. Heck, I've been using my PowerMac G5 for about eight years so whatever I get will feel fast to me.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 04, 2011 17:31 |  #15

Any SSD with a Sandforce controller, such as those from OWC and OCZ, will not suffer degradation on Macs.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

sponsored links

4,203 views & 0 likes for this thread
new iMacs have arrived
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.