Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Jan 2011 (Monday) 18:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7d actuation count

Rivest
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 12, 2011 12:03 |  #76

Thanks for the traduction Steve :)

Hi, I'm David.

sponsored links
supraman2133
118 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 15, 2011 11:52 |  #77

Pretty cool. I installed the os on my express card and change the boot order. Booted right up. Shutter says 8000 something, and "available shots" 160k. What does that mean?

Gear List + Feedback

kendon
839 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 15, 2011 13:28 |  #78

i think we're not sure what that means.

7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 70-200/4 IS, NiftyFifty, 580EXII, Σ 30 EX DC, Walimex 8mm Fisheye, MD Rokkor 50/1.4, BendyCam (external link), Gallery (external link)

peabody2468
191 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 02, 2011 17:15 as a reply to  @ post 11823432 |  #79

So where did this end up? Did anyone create a live CD ISO with the necessary files already installed? If not, did anyone do detailed instructions?

kendon
839 posts
Joined Jul 2010

May 02, 2011 18:04 |  #80

peabody2468 wrote in post #12334880 (external link)
So where did this end up? Did anyone create a live CD ISO with the necessary files already installed? If not, did anyone do detailed instructions?

i'll post a detailed howto tomorrow. basically its get the livecd running, install gphoto2 and lib-gphoto2, then open a terminal and type:

gphoto2 --get-config /main/status/shutterco​unter

7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 70-200/4 IS, NiftyFifty, 580EXII, Σ 30 EX DC, Walimex 8mm Fisheye, MD Rokkor 50/1.4, BendyCam (external link), Gallery (external link)

supraman2133
118 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 03, 2011 01:48 |  #81

I followed post number 19 on page 2 exactly and everything worked perfectly.

Gear List + Feedback

peabody2468
191 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 03, 2011 13:22 |  #82

Well, there seemed to be several branches in that post. Plus, did you already know how to install programs in Linux? Or is it obvious how to do that? The post kinda skated over that detail.

I still think it would be helpful to have a really basic, detailed set of instructions which don't assume any prior knowledge of Linux. Even better would be a Linux live CD with the relevant software already installed - if that's even possible.

supraman2133
118 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 03, 2011 16:47 |  #83

Total noob with other OS besides Windows. But followed direction to the tee and got it to work. I installed the Ubuntu on my expresscard. I thought the direction in that post (19) was pretty well written and clear. If I did it, I'm sure everyone can.

Gear List + Feedback

kendon
839 posts
Joined Jul 2010

May 04, 2011 16:44 |  #84

i'll have to postpone the howto, gotta see what to do to make it fit current ubuntu, i wrote it some time ago. basically it is:
- install virtualbox
- install ubuntu inside a virtual machine [Basically it can be done from within the livecd]
- install whatever software is needed (gtkam for example if you want a GUI)
- attach camera to VM
- read shuttercount

i'll make that howto and probably a script that does all that's needed after you installed ubuntu, but not before the weekend.

peabody2468
191 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 04, 2011 16:50 |  #85

I downloaded the latest Ubuntu, and did the intall on a 4BG thumb drive. But when I boot from that, I end up with the Ubuntu emblem on a black screen with 5 dots below it which alternate between red and white. Nothing after that. Tried the same with 10.10, but same result. I guess this kind of thing is why Linux has become so popular. Well, if anyone has a suggestion on how to just get the damn thing to boot, it would be appreciated. Oh, and I tried with and without the Permanent thing. No difference.

supraman2133
118 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 04, 2011 16:57 |  #86

One thing I had to do was change my boot sequence. After that, it booted up just fine.

Gear List + Feedback

peabody2468
191 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 04, 2011 18:47 |  #87

Well, the problem is that it hangs in the middle of the boot on my desktop. So I gave up on that, and tried it on my laptop. It booted fine there, but wouldn't give me the shutter count on either of my cameras.

The XT/350D shows up in the list of cameras, but it doesn't provide the count. The T2i/550D isn't even on the list.

What a colossal waste of time so far.

kendon
839 posts
Joined Jul 2010

May 17, 2011 14:23 |  #88

peabody2468 wrote in post #12348722 (external link)
The T2i/550D isn't even on the list.

in this case you are doing it wrong, i could read the shuttercount fine from my 550d.

kendon
839 posts
Joined Jul 2010

May 17, 2011 14:46 |  #89

so here comes the tutorial. i find it pretty easy, but i am an experienced linux admin, so i guess i should find it easy ;)

anyway, if anyone wants to try, do this:

1. get the Ubuntu 11.04 livecd from here (external link). use the 32bit version unless you know what you are doing (in which case you probably wouldn't be reading this tutorial, so stick with 32bit :lol:).

2. while ubuntu is downloading you should install VirtualBox. download here (external link), instructions here (external link). the installation is straightforward, the only thing you can mess up is forgetting to install the extension pack, which you need for USB connectivity.

3. create a new virtual machine in VirtualBox and set it up to boot the livecd. here (external link) is a tutorial, just skip the last two steps. if you are not planning to install ubuntu you don't need to create a harddisk either, just uncheck the "Boot Hard Disk" checkbox during the wizard and confirm the warning.

4. start the virtual machine. during the boot process (which might take a few minutes, depending on your hardware specs) it will ask you if you want to install or try ubuntu, click try.

5. once the VM is booted connect your camera to your computer, make sure it is not mounted as USB storage device (might not be possible/necessary on windows7 machines) and connect it to the virtual machine by right-clicking the USB icon in the lower right corner of the VM window and select whatever looks like the description of a camera to you ;)

6. now go to the applications menu in the upper left corner, and open a terminal from the accessories submenu. to download the script i prepared type:

wget http://dl.dropbox.com/​u/7654019/potn/shutter​.sh
chmod +x shutter.sh

now to execute the script type:

./shutter.sh

the script will now check if gphoto2 is available and install it if needed. then it will (hopefully) show the shuttercount of your camera :)

you need to execute these three commands every time you boot up the livecd, as nothing is stored in there. if you need to check you shuttercount more than once or twice a year i suggest you create a live usb stick, which has the ability to save your changes, but that's for another howto (or for you to find out) ;)

solara
620 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 17, 2011 19:18 |  #90

peabody2468 wrote in post #12348722 (external link)
Well, the problem is that it hangs in the middle of the boot on my desktop. So I gave up on that, and tried it on my laptop. It booted fine there, but wouldn't give me the shutter count on either of my cameras.

The XT/350D shows up in the list of cameras, but it doesn't provide the count. The T2i/550D isn't even on the list.

What a colossal waste of time so far.

Could be a hardware conflict since it booted fine on the laptop, but not on the desktop. Try making a straight bootable CD instead of USB, and disconnect any unnecessary external drives, etc. to simplify the issue.

As for not seeing your 550D - make sure you're using a version of libphoto2 that has support for the 550D - in other words, make sure it's the latest one.

5D III, 7D | 17-55 f/2.8 | 16-35 f/4 | 24-105 f/4 | 85 f/1.8 | 135 f/2 | 70-200 f/4 IS | 580EX II | YN-560 | Manfrotto 190XPROB+498RC2

sponsored links

41,359 views & 0 likes for this thread
7d actuation count
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.