Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 02 May 2011 (Monday) 06:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for work as an assistant

tripl3distill3d
26 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 02, 2011 06:44 |  #1

I need a job. Correction, I need money. Going to school for photography has ill prepared me to become working photographer. After losing a part-time retail job, I have vowed to set the bar higher and do something that gets me excited about getting out of bed again. (I am from and live in NYC.)
Long story short, I'm trying to pick up some extra cash assisting but am not sure what avenues I should take to become someones assistant; should I intern? When I first tried to do this straight out of high school, my inquiries were met with a bunch of "we already have assistants that we work with." I was discouraged and never actively tried again.
Does anyone have any advice or thoughts?

sponsored links
BaghdadFred
871 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 02, 2011 06:51 |  #2

I don't have any first hand experience with but I know for certain that craigslist has listings under "Gigs" for photography interns in your same situation. I'm sure it also helps since your in a major metropolitan area (I have been checking the listing recently for Los Angeles).

Check under both "Talent" and "Media" sections for Jobs and also Gigs.. there out there.

Fred - Photographing everyday Military life in Iraq (external link) | SmugMug (external link)
7D | C 100-400L | Σ 70-200 2.8 OS | Σ 30 1.4 | C 10-22 | Σ 8-16 | C 17-55 2.8 IS | C 28-135 IS | 580EX II | Σ 1.4x

PhotosGuy
75,867 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

May 02, 2011 09:13 |  #3

Going to school for photography...

Have you asked your instructors? Wouldn't they know the pros in NY better than most of us would?

When I first tried to do this straight out of high school, my inquiries were met with a bunch of "we already have assistants that we work with."

Time passes & things change. For instance, you know more now than you did then, right? Make the rounds again, and every month from now on. A good reason would be, "Here's a new series that I'm really excited about. What do you think? And do you need another assistant for an upcoming project?"
As for "assistants that we work with", we had pro assistants who did that job for their whole life.

should I intern?

Legal ramifications of Hiring an intern, or unpaid assistant

All the links:
So You Want To Be A Photographers Assistant

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Jimbers
333 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 02, 2011 09:20 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

your whole post seems kind of whiny and negative. i would suggest an attitude adjustment. the quicker the better.

breal101
Goldmember
2,724 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 02, 2011 10:02 |  #5

First read the threads that PhotosGuy provided links for. There is a lot of good information in them, especially pay attention to what sfaust has to say. I started the assistants thread with day rate assisting in mind, this would be a good way to start.

It's in the thread but worth repeating, look into joining one or more of the professional organizations in NYC and attending meetings. ASMP for instance is relatively cheap to join as an associate member. That would allow you to be put on the assistants register. Local photographers and visiting photographers use that list to hire assistants as needed.

If you do decide to join ASMP go to meetings that feature guest speakers, they are the best attended and usually have a social hour before the meeting starts, that gives you a chance to meet face to face with working photographers. Have some cards printed and be ready to offer them to those who seem interested. Don't be afraid to walk up and start a conversation with these guys and gals, they're people just like everybody else. Even though most may already have assistants they work with they may need extra help on some jobs. If you make a good impression you may be the one they call. Be persistent, if you get turned down keep trying, you never know when you will get the break you're looking for.

"Try to go out empty and let your images fill you up." Jay Maisel

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 02, 2011 10:12 as a reply to  @ Jimbers's post |  #6

Without goals and aspirations you will always flounder. You are not going to get rich assisting but you will gain experience and in all likelihood you may have to have a second job to provide cash. You are fortunate to live in an area that has some of the largest commercial photographers in the country doing work for major corporations and magazines. You may not be ready for them but perhaps you could call on some of them to get them to mentor you with respect to getting yourself the right kind of training to join them.

You don't say which college you attended but every post secondary education institute that I have read about had job placement or assistance in their system. Have you checked with them. Called your classmates to see if they have any leads. Did you take anything else in college that you can use in another field in the interim.

I think that you will find the kind of assisting jobs you will get off of free forums like craigslist are going to be working for free or very little but gaining experience. Do you have a portfolio and resume prepared. If yes then hit the bricks and start to knock on doors, if not then get them. The internet is great but door knocking can also provide you good results. At least it shows to the potential employers that you have initiative.

It sounds like you don't take rejection well. In this field you better get used to it. If you call on someone and they say they already have enough assistants you can't go hide in bedroom and say, "OK, I tried". This is a tough field and the competition is fierce if you want to hang out your own shingle and even harder in some cases to get the right assisting job that pays decent. Quite honestly, posting on forum boards is a waste of time, imo. Do you really think you are going to get job leads by putting up a post like you did.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

downhillnews
Goldmember
1,609 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 03, 2011 22:14 |  #7

tripl3distill3d wrote in post #12331710 (external link)
I need a job. Correction, I need money. Going to school for photography has ill prepared me to become working photographer. After losing a part-time retail job, I have vowed to set the bar higher and do something that gets me excited about getting out of bed again. (I am from and live in NYC.)
Long story short, I'm trying to pick up some extra cash assisting but am not sure what avenues I should take to become someones assistant; should I intern? When I first tried to do this straight out of high school, my inquiries were met with a bunch of "we already have assistants that we work with." I was discouraged and never actively tried again.

Here never say I never helped you out.:cool:

Babble is looking for a Photo Intern to join the fastest-growing website for parents, with 4 million unique visitors and growing.

The ideal candidate has a developed visual style, but is flexible and able to put personal preferences aside.
The ideal candidate should have experience selecting photographs from stock image sites.

The winning candidate is also...
* Familiar with trends related to online media

* Familiar with stock image sites
*A strong communicator who works quickly and precisely
* A creative problem solver with the ability to think outside the box and come up with compelling solutions to illustrate content
* A multi-tasker who can juggle several projects at the same time, and able to shift directions on a project based on last-minute input
* Comfortable with or willing to learn HTML, CSS, and FTP on a Mac

Requirements:
* Experience in Online Media
* College experience in Media, Photography and/or Graphic Design
* At least 1-2 years of Photoshop experience

Please email jobs@babble.com (external link) a short description of yourself, a link to your online portfolio, and/or links to examples of work completed. Also please attach a resume (PDF). To stand out, candidates can also answer the following questions in the email:

1. What are your 3 favorite websites, in general?
2. What are your 3 favorite visually-appealing websites. Explain why you think they stand out.
3. What offline (magazines, product design, etc) do you most often use for creative inspiration?

WWW.DOWNHILLNEWS.COM (external link)
WWW.IJWPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
Phase One Certified Digital Tech

tripl3distill3d
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 04, 2011 11:46 |  #8

Thank you all for your input. I am appreciative of all the feedback that I have received here and will definitely work on improving my attitude.

orena
544 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 04, 2011 11:58 |  #9

just wanted to say great thread. i'm moving back to chicago after a few years away and also need to start looking for work as an assistant/2nd shooter again.. good advice here.

Always do right, this will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
5DIII-7D-70-200L 2.8IS II-24-70 2.8 II L -50 1.4--28 135(4 SALE)-580exii-430ex -
http://www.orenaphoto.​com (external link)

J ­ Michael
970 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2010

May 05, 2011 07:21 |  #10

If I were in your shoes I would think long and hard about the type of photography I wanted to do and then determine who is the best person in that specialty. I would then do whatever it took to get on board with them. Photography attracts people willing to work for small change, or for free, so don't expect to be compensated with much other than experience. Jay Maisel occasionally has some unpaid intern openings listed on his website.

An alternative approach is to think of a specialty like you would a specialty in a medical profession and go get training in that specific specialty at workshops or other short-term classes, then go develop your skills before you start out on your own. You probably didn't get much business training in school, so read up on the things you need to know for running a business - you are unlikely to be successful working for anyone other than yourself, in the long term at least.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,281 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

May 05, 2011 07:39 |  #11

You're in New York City and can't find assisting jobs? WOW. Anyway, when I use assistants I use people that know lighting. What I mean is how to set up for different quality of light situations. These are things you should have learned in school. I don't have time on a shoot to baby sit or tell someone everything. If that were the case why wouldn't I just do it myself? While my assistants are setting up I'm usually going over the shoot with the designer and art director.

Did you graduate. If so, associates, bachelors, masters or MFA in photography?

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

May 05, 2011 21:59 |  #12

. . . . Does anyone have any advice or thoughts?

1. With your portfolio up to date and reference letters in hand make contact with those who might hire you and ask about possibilities. If they have none ask who might. Repeat a hundred times before you even think of being discouraged.

2. Get out of bed early each morning and learn something you don't know or practice a skill you find important.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

sponsored links

1,966 views & 0 likes for this thread
Looking for work as an assistant
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.