Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 15 Apr 2011 (Friday) 17:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Bags - Crumpler

MR ­ do ­ little
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 15, 2011 17:54 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

Thought i share my latest bag acquisition..:D

I recently got a laptop that I'm actually gonna take with me on shoots. So iv been shopping for smaller bag to hold my Macbook Air 13" and a camera+2-3 lenses. I have the Kata Bumblebee 220 UL which is a excellent backpack but way to big for times when i just need one body and maybe two lenses.

So iv went on to look at many different bags, both shoulder bags and small backpacks. Haven't found any bag to wow me from Lowepro and Kata which is the brands i mainly shop for, i reluctantly looked at Crumpler...

I say reluctant because i have kind of a hate/love relationship to the Crumpler brand... I hate the companies marketing and their confusing product descriptions, but iv loved every Crumpler bag iv owned.

So i have written them off for years due to the fact i think it's a nightmare to browse thru their product catalog let alone understanding the information written about their bags.

But i thought maybe it's time to take look at them again, and since they have two retail stores in Stockholm i thought a visit to try out some bags would rectify the problem with a confusing website/catalog.

Arriving to one of their retail stores i was pleasantly surprised by the wide selection they had on the display, to makes things even more attractive they had a campaign where you could trade in a old bag (pretty much any old bag you could find) and get nice rebate when you bought a new bag.

Went thru all their "full photo" backpacks as well as their larger shoulderbags, the lady in the store was very helpful and let me test any bag i wanted (i brought my gear to test).

After coming to the conclusion i needed a backpack and not a shoulderbag (shoulder bags to big on the hip, and will wear my shoulders much faster) i finally settled for the Crumpler Pony box.

I mainly picked it over the other "full photo backpacks" due it's smaller size and the easy camera access which neither of the bags had.

I also tested
Pretty Bella
Muffin top
Messenger Boy

All these very similar to each other (same measurements) the interior and padding was not a rigid as in the Pony Box though. Which is why i assume the Pony box was the most expensive of them all.

The Pony Box is what you have come to expect from Crumpler, simply excellent quality from zippers to fabric and padding.

I now remember what i liked about Crumpler, their bags... :lol:

The bag is quite small, external measurements is 35 x 44 x 27 cm.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

The bag will easily hold everything i need it to.

Image shows it loaded with:

• Macbook Air 13"
  • Moshi Cardreader
  • Sony A900 with Zeiss 85/1,4 Mounted
  • Zeiss 135/1,8
  • Zeiss 24-70/2,8
  • Sony 50/1,4

As you can see you access the main compartment at the back of the bag, to access the camera with a lens attached you use the zipper on the front (top).

It's quite a bit smaller then my Kata Bumblebee but hold the gear i want and is quite comfortable to wear.

The downside of visiting the Crumpler retail store was of course there was A LOT of bags to look at... and since iv been looking at a messenger bag to hold my laptop and a camera with a smaller lens like 50mm prime or 85mm i couldn't resist looking at their laptop bags.:rolleyes:

Bad move on my part as i discovered a stylish leather bag that cost the double what i was looking for, it looked incredible and it didn't fade when i tested it..

So i went home and found another old bag in the closet and got the Crumpler Beefy Pocket 13 as well.:lol:

It's a stylish laptop bag in leather to hold a 13" laptop along with your personal stuff.Its not made to be a photobag, but it can easily hold a camera with a lens. For those who are worried about the padding you could buy a neoprene cover such as the Crumpler Banana hammock. Personally i don't bother since the bag is enough protection for casual use.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

The bag is very well made from the stitching on the leather to the strap and velcro.

This will be my main bag for when i just need bring the laptop, but also for the times when i just need to bring one body for some casual shooting, and of course also for times when i just need messenger bag.

In all im very happy with two new Crumpler bags, and can highly recommend them for someone who have similar needs in a bag.

Regards
Paul L.

sponsored links
LLL
189 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 15, 2011 20:32 |  #2

Beefy looks good :)

Lucian Lewis | Gears | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link)

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 15, 2011 21:14 |  #3

argh, I hate that they don't have the same products available everywhere :(
they don't have the pony box on the EU or on HK websites...

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

MR ­ do ­ little
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 16, 2011 00:52 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

LLL wrote in post #12231047 (external link)
Beefy looks good :)

Yea it does doesn't it ?

Sirrith wrote in post #12231258 (external link)
argh, I hate that they don't have the same products available everywhere :(
they don't have the pony box on the EU or on HK websites...

Yes that is one of the things that are confusing as well. The product range is different from region to region.

One bag that i was looking at on the US market was Karachi Outpost (small) it's very similar in size to the Pony Box and by the pictures the looks as well.

Difference being it doesn't have the access zipper on the top front.

Regards
Paul L.

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 16, 2011 01:14 |  #5

Great looking bag. Even better looking product shots.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

MR ­ do ­ little
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 16, 2011 06:42 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

Thanx James!

Regards
Paul L.

woog17
710 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 16, 2011 06:44 |  #7

Great product images.Thanks for this insight to the bag, looks great.

Dan
danwoolgar.com (external link)
500px (external link)

equipment

MR ­ do ­ little
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 16, 2011 07:21 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

Thanx glad you found them informational

Regards
Paul L.

0.0f
179 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 05, 2011 04:52 |  #9

do you think the beefy pocket would take a 7d gripped with a 70-200 f2.8?

EOS 5D MK3 - 24-70 MK2

MR ­ do ­ little
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 05, 2011 06:11 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

Yes i tested with my A900 W. grip and the 135/1,8ZA mounted so it should have no problem holding the setup you mention.

This with lens facing straight down in the bag.

Regards
Paul L.

0.0f
179 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 05, 2011 06:43 |  #11

argh its not available in the uk, may check out the new prime mover.

EOS 5D MK3 - 24-70 MK2

MR ­ do ­ little
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 05, 2011 07:26 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

That,s one of gripes with Crumpler.. Their different product selection from country to country. :-(

Regards
Paul L.

Dexinthecity
294 posts
Joined May 2011

May 05, 2011 09:15 |  #13

Beefy pocket looks nice!

Flickr (external link)

MR ­ do ­ little
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 05, 2011 10:30 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

Yes doesn't it! I got it's bigger brother Master Delhi recently.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Regards
Paul L.

Dexinthecity
294 posts
Joined May 2011

May 05, 2011 10:49 |  #15

do you think i can put like a binder int here? or maybe a book...

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

5,072 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Bags - Crumpler
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.