Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 06 May 2011 (Friday) 09:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Am I the only one that does not like Bokeh?

WRAG
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 06, 2011 09:27 |  #1

I have just started to try and take more advanced photos and been researching and learning a lot over the past few weeks. I have learned that photos with a blurred background, more DOF are considered better than photos where the entire scene is focused, at least for sports and portraits. Not so much for landscapes.

Am I the only one that does not think a blurred background is pleasing, in any setting? In my sports photos, I like to see the faces of the other people in the crowd, the other kids on the field etc. I think it adds to the excitment of the game. I do not like to have the main subject in focus and everything behind him blurry so you cannot even tell what is in the background. Maybe I will come around to appreciate the better quality of blurred background as I know the majority think it is better, but I just don't get it.

Anyone else had this thought when they first got into photos and then learned to appreciate the blurred backgrounds?

sponsored links
Playonpics.com
929 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 06, 2011 09:29 |  #2

then get a Point and Shoot or buy a lens and use F22

Canon 1D MarkIII | Canon 7D | 70-200mm F/2.8L | 24-70mm F/2.8L| 300mm F/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye | 580EXII Flash | Computrekker | ThinkTank roller and beltsystem | Elinchrom (2) Dlites 4IT Canon Platinum CPS Member
www.playonpics.com (external link)

cfvisuals
866 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 06, 2011 09:31 |  #3

Blurred background is just a simulation of how our brain see things, so that's why we like it. When we look at things with our eyes, we only focus on one subject at a time, every else is "blurred" out (we ignored them in our head until there's a motion and we shift our attention to that object in motion.)

You can definitely try to get everything in focus. Art has all the freedom you want, you can do whatever you want, whatever you appreciate.

flickr (external link)
5∞ portfolio (external link)

tkadrum
Goldmember
2,313 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2010

May 06, 2011 09:33 as a reply to  @ Playonpics.com's post |  #4

I can give you an example of Bokeh.
Unfortunately, he uses Alien Skin Bokeh 2 software to recreate the effect.
But as you can see the diff. from the two. I personally like the Bokeh effect (imo)
http://rod.inception-imaging.com …wc6/0/XL/i-4T3wwc6-XL.jpg (external link)

Yes, you can call me Tom

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 06, 2011 09:42 |  #5

Some amount of blur isn't a bad thing.

But people seem to love to overdo it imo. It's like people go nuts once they get a 1.4 or 1.2 lens and are on a mission to blur the living snot out of everything, where the amount of blur is almost more important than the subject itself. And then other blur freaks go, "wow what an awesome shot".

I think there are times for subject isolation, and times for letting the context and environment around them show. But overall, I do find blurred to be quite overdone, overrated, and over praised.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

Alex_Venom
Goldmember
1,624 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 06, 2011 09:42 |  #6

I think it's not quite as "liking" or "disliking" Bokeh.
The way I see things, Bokeh is a resource we have to drive the eyes of the beholder to the part of the photo we want to emphasize. Some photos will take it in a very good way.. some will not.

In a portrait, for instance, you're trying to drive attention to the person(s) you know... not to everyone.

Photography is about GEAR and not talent or practice. Practice won't make you a better photographer. Expensive equipment will. =D
"Nobody can buy a scalpel and become a doctor, but anyone can buy a camera and become a photographer."

MNUplander
Goldmember
2,527 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2009

May 06, 2011 09:49 |  #7

Playonpics.com wrote in post #12358658 (external link)
then get a Point and Shoot or buy a lens and use F22

I'd take this with a grain of salt - the person offering your advice has no lenses slower than 2.8...

But to the OP's point - you're not really discussing bokeh, its actually a DOF field issue - or in this case, the lack there of. Bokeh actually refers to the quality of the out of focus area, not the DOF itself.

But, if you dont like thin DOF there's no one saying you have to use it. If the background adds to your overall subject, why blow it away? Environmental portraits make good use of backgrounds all the time and I could see someone making an argument for keeping the background in some of their sports shots. Although, thin DOF may be a requirement to get enough light to stop action for some sporting events, but thats a different story.

Some people have this notion that the only reason to buy a DSLR is for 2-eyelash-thin DOF. But, Im a landscape shooter and I rarely shoot below f/11 but still would never consider going back to a P&S. My DSLR provides far superior IQ, more useable controls, and fast AF for when I want it - manual focus for when I dont (usually).

So why, for someone like me or someone like the OP who doesnt care for the one-eye-in-focus look, should we have to use a P&S?

Photography is a creative art - why should you conform to what other people like if you dont care for thin DOF?

Lake Superior and North Shore Landscape Photography (external link)
Buy & Sell Feedback
6D, 16-35 f4 IS, 50 1.2, 100L Macro, 150-600C

GavinTing
142 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 06, 2011 09:50 |  #8

Just a random grab from one of the lens sample threads: https://photography-on-the.net …p=12353016&post​count=6965

Knowing how to control your background blur can give pretty good results

Ever so happy with my 1D classic

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 06, 2011 09:51 |  #9

It has its place but is more often overdone, than under utilized, based on what people normally post, here and elsewhere. It's a style, much like the "i used a $10k camera to get this $50 look". -;)

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

scroller52
964 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 06, 2011 10:04 |  #10

bokeh is good when you (the photographer) decides that it is needed for that shot
when you take a picture of two people and one is blurred bc of a very shallow DOF, then that is no good.
sometimes you want to take a photo of just 1 subject, if that subject is in a very busy scene/background, you want the photograph to blur out everything else so the view can focus on the subject.

Canon EOS 5D3 | Canon 24mm 1.4L mkII | Canon 85mm 1.2L mkI | Canon 40mm 2.8
my flickr (external link)
my picasa (external link)

oyster_photos
156 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 06, 2011 10:06 as a reply to  @ bohdank's post |  #11

Managing depth of field is such an important skill and one I am working hard on right now.

Sometimes even a still life shot can be great without a razor thin DOF, this is a shot I took yesterday, a wider DOF but key elements of the photo are in sharp focus and maybe lots of bokeh would be distracting? This is right out of the camera (50D), no pp. Comments...?

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i881.photobucke​t.com …ttempt/2011_05_​05_042.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Gear: Camera Lens Light Trigger Tripod Bag Computer

booja
Goldmember
1,638 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 06, 2011 10:20 |  #12

It's all preference. I have a friend that's loves wide dof and likes everything sharp and in focus. He always shoots at like f/8. And it works for him. His shots come out nice.

But there are certain times that the background can be distracting. That's when you want to blur the snot out of everything. I've taken portraits before where there were always people in the background. Used my 85 at 1.2 or my 135 and didn't even notice they were there.

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 06, 2011 10:46 |  #13

I spend as much time, probably more, on what is in front/behind/beside my subject than I do on the subject. I think taking the time to compose a shot pays off in better (more ineresting) images than just blurring everything into soup. Of course this is not always possible, but not as often a problem one might imagine.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

thrash_273
Goldmember
4,901 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

May 06, 2011 10:48 |  #14

the JOB dictates what tools your going to use, for every situation is different and not all opportunity has same answers. Bokeh can make or break.

Ben
flickr (external link)
Positive feedbacks, More, More,More
a6000 | Pentax SMC 50 1.7 | Rok 8 2.8 Fe | Sony 50 1.8

spacetime
Goldmember
1,276 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 06, 2011 11:13 |  #15

I do find that in portraiture that thin DOF is over used. A lot of people like to shoot wide open or at f2 and the DOF is too small so certain features of the person are OOF. It doesn't create the isolation and separation that people hope for.

A wide DOF can be distracting but again this really depends on what size the image is being viewed at. I was fortunate enough to shoot an MLB game at field level and in web size prints the small DOF shots are more pleasing as the wide DOF causes the pic to become to busy. But when the pic is printed at a large size the one with greater DOF is more impressive. Your eye can only focus on certain areas and it's amazing the amount of detail that is captured at wider DOF.

sponsored links

23,956 views & 0 likes for this thread
Am I the only one that does not like Bokeh?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.