Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 28 Apr 2011 (Thursday) 01:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Notre Dame HDR

NeutronBoy
Goldmember
2,049 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 29, 2011 16:23 |  #16

LOL

there

5D Mark II, 40D, 350d
Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS II L | Canon 100-400 IS L [COLOR=black]| Canon 24-70 L | Canon 100mm Macro f2.8 | Canon 50 f1.4| Canon 10-22 | Canon MP-E 65 | Rokinon 14mm f2.8 | Sigma 17 - 70 macro
MT-24 & 430 flashes | other junk

sponsored links
The ­ Framed ­ Life
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 29, 2011 16:36 |  #17
bannedPermanent ban

This photo ****ing sucks. lol

The Framed Life (external link)
Canon 30D
70-200mm F/4L, 24-70 f/2.8L

►►► 30D For Sale ◄◄◄
James Robertson

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 29, 2011 18:19 |  #18

NeutronBoy wrote in post #12318020 (external link)
LOL

there

Now THAT one I noticed... :D

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

LOKPhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
290 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 05, 2011 23:18 |  #19

There are some of the rudest people i have ever meet in forums on this site.

60D Gripped, 1000d Gripped, 70-200L f4 USM, 50mm f1.8 "Nifty Fifty" (R.I.Pieces), Sigma 50mm Macro f2.8, Tokina 12-24 f4, 430EX II, Cactus V5's, PS CS5, Lightroom 3, BR RS7 Strap.

Ebwly
570 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 06, 2011 00:19 |  #20

LOKPhotography wrote in post #12356576 (external link)

Ignore the others. while some of their comments were valid, people need to say it in a different way. Tone says a lot about a person criticizing on a photo, you can come off as a nice, encouraging, helpful person, or you can come off an an arrogant jerk who thinks they know so much about photography.

I am of the opinion that all those who posted about composition are idiots. It is obvious from the title that the OP wanted HDR as a primary focus of discussion, not composition. Perhaps if you composed your screen better, you'd see the title Notre Dame 'HDR.' Shouldn't take you more than two minutes to realize that.

slash17 wrote in post #12310999 (external link)
its amazing how often people post in critique corner not wanting critique

or...it's amazing how people can say something in the wrong way to a person starting out in something and and destroy all confidence in that person.

argyle wrote in post #12310749 (external link)
You did ask for a critique, did you not? Obviously, you like the picture so why not just print it, frame it, hang it on your wall, and be done with it? No need for a critique from the peanut gallery, no need for you denigrate folks for pointing out obvious flaws in your image, and no need for some of us to be wasting our time on an ingrate such as yourself.

Try this: I'm sure you did your best, and you're very proud of your picture. May I suggest that you print it out and hang it up? In my opinion there are some flaws, but that is just my interpretation. I'll try not to act like a knowit all in the future, because I remember when I was an idiot and just starting out, and people were kind enough to encourage me and point out my errors instead of just flaming me because their interpretation of the subject is different from mine.

argyle wrote in post #12317238 (external link)
I wasn't. lol

Don't troll. Say something constructive or don't say anything at all.

joedlh wrote in post #12317898 (external link)
I think we can lay full blame for this on the moderators. It's clear that we need another forum section called "Tell me how amazing this shot is or shut up."

Oops! I left out the LOL.

The one thing you are leaving out is the opportunity for others to perceive you an anything other than an attention seeking person trying to hard to impress someone who you thought was funny.

@OP: please leave some hope for the rest of us on here, we aren't that bad! Btw, your HDR is amazing in my opinion, it shows you are willing to try new things (extreme look) and you are willing to experiment. Put it this way: Others see things that are there, and say why? you see things that never were, and say, why not!

7D, 17-55 f2.8 IS, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 50 f1.4

gibbit1
Goldmember
1,658 posts
Joined Jul 2009

May 06, 2011 06:45 |  #21

Ebwly:

I wasn't going to chime in on this, but after that post I just have to. I feel you're a little on the wrong side here. Yes, some of the comments about the critique were a bit off, but the OP started it by saying how silly the critique was. And you're wrong about the OP not asking for opinion on the composition. He merely states that the HDR is deliberately overdone.

Argyle's original critique was spot on. Could he have said it better? Possibly, but people who post here are supposed to be looking for someone to point out exactly the types of things that Argyle did point out. Instead of being angry and dismissive of people for the way they phrase the critique, the OP should be thanking them for taking time out of their day to help him. LOK Photography doesn't seem to understand this, as he has done this exact same thing before.

LOK, I believe you should refrain from posting anything in Critique Corner until you can accept criticism in a positive way. No picture is perfect, and the fact that others will take time out of their busy lives to help you to become a better photographer should be appreciated, not dismissed. There may indeed have been a valid reason for you to compose the shot the way you did, but how could Argyle know that? You should have thanked him for his comments and gone on, not made some snippy comment about cutting down the trees.

I hope I haven't offended, but at this point I really think that these things need to be said.

"Everything will be alright. I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
Gear: EOS 5DMKII; EOS 400D (infrared converted); Canon 24-105mm f/4 L; Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 EX; Canon 70-200mm f/4 L; Canon 135mm f/2.0 L; Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 with EOS adaptor, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8; only enough knowledge to be a clear and present danger to society.
flickr (external link)

Ebwly
570 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 06, 2011 07:14 |  #22

gibbit1 wrote in post #12357929 (external link)
Ebwly:
I feel you're a little on the wrong side here. Yes, some of the comments about the critique were a bit off, but the OP started it by saying how silly the critique was.

I hope I haven't offended...

No, you haven't offended. After reading again, I realise the fault was partly on the OP as well. I just got angry because in my opinion, peanut gallery, no need for you denigrate folks, ingrate such as yourself, etc. is just plain stupid to be said when critiquing a photo. That sort of language is not welcome anywhere and can seriously reduce a person's confidence in themselves.

I'd say the OP was clearly accepting criticism, his comments about trees were obviously said as a defensive tone, the other guy took it too seriously and started deliberately insulting him. You can tell by his tone. And the rest of the people who just came to taunt in the lower posts...well that is just plain stupid.

7D, 17-55 f2.8 IS, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 50 f1.4

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 06, 2011 07:34 |  #23

Ebwly wrote in post #12356869 (external link)
Try this: I'm sure you did your best, and you're very proud of your picture. May I suggest that you print it out and hang it up? In my opinion there are some flaws, but that is just my interpretation. I'll try not to act like a knowit all in the future, because I remember when I was an idiot and just starting out, and people were kind enough to encourage me and point out my errors instead of just flaming me because their interpretation of the subject is different from mine.

Don't troll. Say something constructive or don't say anything at all.

Try this: I don't need you speaking for me or, for that matter, suggesting the tone in which I say something...I'm more than capable of expressing myself without any advice from someone as haughty as yourself.

Nearly 7000 posts is not "trolling", but a minimal amount of posts (in your case) can easily be construed as such. Bottom line is, go back to my initial critique...valid points made in a constructive manner. Tell me what isn't/wasn't constructive. I could easily have said that the image looks like crap, which would still have been a valid, albeit brusque, critique IMO, but refrained from doing so. Honestly, I really don't know how I managed to do so.

You, obviously, seem to believe in the politically correct mumbo-jumbo where everything is good...can't say anything critical (or even remotely critical) because it may hurt the self-esteem or sensibilities of the originator (or, if it is critical, it must be couched with some sugar-coated blather). I, on the other hand, do not believe in false praise...it only enables bad habits. That's why this forum is the "Critique" forum. If someone wants sugar-coated false praise or an obligatory pat-on-the-back, it won't come from me. But if someone wants an unvarnished and honest critique, in order to help him or her become a better photographer, that's what I'll give. Deal with it, or don't post asking for a critique...its really as simple as that.

Unfortunately, the OP is a immature and obviously unable to handle constructive criticism, which led to her referring to some of the critiques as "stupid" (which brought on the responses that it did). Tacking on an "lol" doesn't excuse her rudeness.

So, after all that, thanks for your language lesson...but I really don't need it. ;) Flame if you will, but you'll get no further response from me on this matter.

gibbit1 wrote in post #12357929 (external link)
Ebwly:

I wasn't going to chime in on this, but after that post I just have to. I feel you're a little on the wrong side here. Yes, some of the comments about the critique were a bit off, but the OP started it by saying how silly the critique was. And you're wrong about the OP not asking for opinion on the composition. He merely states that the HDR is deliberately overdone.

Argyle's original critique was spot on. Could he have said it better? Possibly, but people who post here are supposed to be looking for someone to point out exactly the types of things that Argyle did point out. Instead of being angry and dismissive of people for the way they phrase the critique, the OP should be thanking them for taking time out of their day to help him. LOK Photography doesn't seem to understand this, as he has done this exact same thing before.

LOK, I believe you should refrain from posting anything in Critique Corner until you can accept criticism in a positive way. No picture is perfect, and the fact that others will take time out of their busy lives to help you to become a better photographer should be appreciated, not dismissed. There may indeed have been a valid reason for you to compose the shot the way you did, but how could Argyle know that? You should have thanked him for his comments and gone on, not made some snippy comment about cutting down the trees.

I hope I haven't offended, but at this point I really think that these things need to be said.

The word was "stupid"... But you are correct on the rest...

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

luciddreamer
861 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 06, 2011 07:56 |  #24

I've been there and tried to take the pic. The trees make it impossible to do it right. It's even worse once the leaves come on full force. Whoever planted the trees wasn't thinking about togs when they did it. I think I ended up with some shots from way off to the right and still trees in the way. Anyhow, I think he was trying to get the curve of the intersecting sidewalks in the pic which is great. Too bad the landscaping on the campus really wasn't well thought out. Some beautiful buildings which should make for classic scenes but for the landscaping. If some of the critics had ever tried the shot they would understand. No need to be jerks about it.

materialism ~
preoccupation with or emphasis on material objects, comforts, and considerations, with a disinterest in or rejection of spiritual, intellectual, or cultural values.

gibbit1
Goldmember
1,658 posts
Joined Jul 2009

May 06, 2011 11:14 |  #25

argyle wrote in post #12358095 (external link)
The word was "stupid"... But you are correct on the rest...

I stand corrected. He did use "stupid", which is fairly more offensive than "silly". I have no problem with the original critique or your response. People posting to this forum should expect honest comments, and not get offended when they are offered.

"Everything will be alright. I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
Gear: EOS 5DMKII; EOS 400D (infrared converted); Canon 24-105mm f/4 L; Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 EX; Canon 70-200mm f/4 L; Canon 135mm f/2.0 L; Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 with EOS adaptor, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8; only enough knowledge to be a clear and present danger to society.
flickr (external link)

bior
348 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 06, 2011 12:47 |  #26

LOKPhotography wrote in post #12307685 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

Unfortunately, the trees, difficult to move as they are, are really hurting this composition. Not so much with the sides of the building... that doesn't matter. It's the three obscuring the dome that's the issue. I would like to see a version of this shot taken from about 10 feet in front of where this was taken.

I can't really comment on the tone mapping, it's not my area.

Branden - amateur photographer for hire / bored systems administrator probably posting from work
Weapons of choice: 5D2 and a T3 / website will return soon

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 06, 2011 13:07 |  #27

To the OP > As others have mentioned the trees are hurting the photo big time. I think the HDR job is fine.

To Ebwly > If I gave advise regularly in the CC forum and had to completely sugar coat everything as if I were speaking to a kindergartner I would straight up stop because it would take forever. If someone wants criticism, they should be prepared to take it. To sugar coat everything is as ridiculous as prefacing everything I say with "in my opinion." If the OP doesn't like a certain criticism, he can just skip over it.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

May 06, 2011 16:43 |  #28

Ebwly wrote in post #12356869 (external link)
The one thing you are leaving out is the opportunity for others to perceive you an anything other than an attention seeking person trying to hard to impress someone who you thought was funny.

This is quite amusing. I don't know you. Do you know me? If not, how can you attribute such motivations to me? I am far beyond the need to impress others. One kind of grows out of that need after one finds out multiple times early in life that it's a quixotic pursuit.

You have 35 posts on this forum. One could argue that you do not have enough experience with it to ascertain the general temperament of more senior posters who have thousands. But to educate you a bit: the critique corner in 99% of the cases draws aspiring photographers who truly seek the advice of those with more experience and have a genuine desire to improve. Sometimes the critiques can border on the blunt. I admit that I have sometimes been brusque. But we're volunteering our time and experience to help others. In those 99% of the cases, the OP's last post is often a heartfelt thanks for the time that was taken to help them out.

In 1% of the cases, you have someone -- usually a newcomer -- come on with an attitude expressed in his writing (it's almost always a male) that they think that they're pretty hot s**t. So they take offense when someone points out flaws in their work that any experienced photographer can see. And they may go a step farther and get surly and hurl insults. It's part of the self-correcting ethos of this forum that this kind of individual gets smacked down. By and large, we're all pretty courteous with each other. There are many who have remarked that it's a pretty civil gathering in contrast to lots of other places on the Internet.

If you read the posts carefully, nobody got harsh with the OP until he started insulting people. My post, if you notice, was a response to the one before me who stated the obvious about people coming into the critique corner and not expecting critiques. It wasn't really addressed to the OP at all.

Do yourself a favor and lurk a bit until you can get an understanding of the general demeanor of this forum. If you still don't like it, then it's a big wide Internet out there.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

DAMphyne
"the more I post, the less accurate..."
2,156 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2003

May 06, 2011 18:02 |  #29

LOKPhotography wrote in post #12310416 (external link)
People point out the most stupid things on this forum i swear lol

You are absolutely correct with this statement.
People Do point out "Stupid" things on this forum.
Things like trying to show off the golden dome with tree branches covering it up.:p

David
Digital set me free
"Welcome Seeker! Now, don't feel alone here in the New Age, because there's a seeker born every minute.";)
www.damphyne.com (external link)

bpiper7
Goldmember
1,237 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Joined Aug 2007

May 06, 2011 18:23 |  #30

LOKPhotography wrote in post #12356576 (external link)

You probably need to get out more. :rolleyes:

Bill

billpiperphotos.com (external link)
Gear: 60D - 400D - 15-85 EF-S, 55-250 EF-S,18-55mm EF-S, EF, 50mm 1.8 and more stuff .

sponsored links

3,249 views & 0 likes for this thread
Notre Dame HDR
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.