Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 28 Feb 2006 (Tuesday) 04:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens rental

jonob66
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 28, 2006 04:24 |  #1

Has anyone tried renting a lens for a specific occasion? I was thinking of renting a canon L lens with IS for an airshow in the summer. I recently spent quite a bit of my gear and felt that for a one off occasion renting a lens made sense. Any thoughts?

Canon EOS 5D & 20D
Canon EFS 18 -55mm f3.5-5.6 II
Canon EF 300mm F4/L IS USM
Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG Macro
Sigma 70 - 200mm f2.8 HSM APO DG
Sigma 50 - 500mm f4-6.3 HSM APO DG

sponsored links
Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,482 posts
Gallery: 114 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Feb 28, 2006 08:41 |  #2

Specialty glass rental can be an affordable alternative to actually owning some of those bank-buster lenses. It isn't cheap, but a couple hundred for a one shot use as opposite to several thousand certainly makes it an attractive option for many people.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

Steve ­ Parr
should have taken his own advice
6,593 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 28, 2006 08:45 as a reply to  @ Woolburr's post |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

Woolburr wrote:
Specialty glass rental can be an affordable alternative to actually owning some of those bank-buster lenses. It isn't cheap, but a couple hundred for a one shot use as opposite to several thousand certainly makes it an attractive option for many people.

A couple of hundred??

:shock:

I've rented the 100-400mm a couple of times, and the cost was $35.00 each time. I'd pick it up Firday evening (for a Saturday rental). Since the store is closed on Sundays, I'd return it on Monday. Basically, I was getting better than two days worth of rental for one.

I'm also considering renting the 400mm IS, which costs $70.00 per day.

If it was a couple of hundred dollars, I never would've considered it...

Steve

Canon Bodies, Canon Lenses, Sigma Lenses, Various "Stuff"...

OnStage Photography (external link)

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,482 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 28, 2006 09:07 |  #4

I usually rent by the week as opposed to a day or two...simply because there are no local rentals available. I was going to mention the drawbacks to having to deal with shipping, but got side-tracked. You are correct that you can rent almost any available lens for less than $100 a day. I usually get the 400 f/2.8 IS for $225 a week. Also, all the rental places I have dealt with thus far, have a 3 day minimum charge for out-of-town customers.

You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

Steve ­ Parr
6,593 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 28, 2006 09:09 as a reply to  @ Woolburr's post |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

Woolburr wrote:
I usually rent by the week as opposed to a day or two...simply because there are no local rentals available. I was going to mention the drawbacks to having to deal with shipping, but got side-tracked. You are correct that you can rent almost any available lens for less than $100 a day. I usually get the 400 f/2.8 IS for $225 a week. Also, all the rental places I have dealt with thus far, have a 3 day minimum charge for out-of-town customers.

In all fairness, I don't know if my local shop has that restriction for out-of-towners.

I'm thinking about renting a 17-40mmL for my trip to Toronto next month. The rental would be for two weeks, and I figure it'll give me a good chance to evaluate the lens for a possible purchase...

Steve

RWK
207 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 28, 2006 09:35 as a reply to  @ Steve Parr's post |  #6

http://www.rentglass.c​om/ (external link)

Rebel T4i 18-55 IS Kit Lens :cool:
Rebel XT Kit Lens
EF-S 17-85
EF 50 1.8
EF 70-300
EF-S 18-135 STM

danedel
437 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 28, 2006 09:57 |  #7

When I need a flash or lens I go here.
http://www.camren.com/​camera/index.html (external link)

My two favorites, 1D MK II + 70-200 2.8 IS Just cant get them apart :lol:

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,482 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 28, 2006 10:55 as a reply to  @ Steve Parr's post |  #8

Steve Parr wrote:
In all fairness, I don't know if my local shop has that restriction for out-of-towners.

I'm thinking about renting a 17-40mmL for my trip to Toronto next month. The rental would be for two weeks, and I figure it'll give me a good chance to evaluate the lens for a possible purchase...

I guess I wasn't clear about the rental...my only option is to rent from some remote company. There are no camera or lens rentals done locally. So I have to deal with the hassle of shipping and the increased fees of transit time. It would be sweet if one of the two in-town Canon Dealers offered rentals, but they don't think there is a market for it. Several of us have discussed forming a photo group and collectively buying some lenses for our own use...I have some reservations about that theory too.

Funny you should mention that lens. The big brown truck just dropped one off on my doorstep. I can feel some test shots coming on.

SonicYan
598 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 28, 2006 11:08 as a reply to  @ Woolburr's post |  #9

I'll be renting a lens this weekend too, probably two and a body so I don't have to switch lenses while I'm shooting at a car event. I think for me right now, this is more cost effective since I only use my gear twice a month at most, so I'm happy with my current gear.

SonicYan, aka Mikey
Black Canon Rebel XT, Canon BG-E3, EF-S 18-55, EF 50mm 1.8, EF 85mm 1.8, EF 70-200 f4L, SunPak 5800D, Canon RS-60E3, Canon RC-1, Canon 580EX Speedlite.
www.madlightmedia.com (external link)

dansellbuddy
53 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 28, 2006 13:01 as a reply to  @ RWK's post |  #10

ever use that place?
any feedback on how they are?
the prices just seem to good to be true.

Andrew ­ Khan
187 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 28, 2006 13:05 |  #11

Where can/do you rent lenses anyway? I would really like to do this, to see if the lens I want is right for me.

Canon EOS 350D (Silver) | Canon EF 18-55mm | Canon EF 75-300mm F/4-5.6 III | Lowepro Micro Trekker 100
Circular Polarizer (Hoya) | 6x Neutral Density Filter (Hoya)
Canon RS-60E3 Shutter Release
| Canon BG-E3 Battery Grip

orlowskij
89 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 28, 2006 13:43 as a reply to  @ Andrew Khan's post |  #12

Rentglass.com currently has 3 different canon lenses in stock, out of about 30 that they offer. Good prices though :rolleyes:

Rebel XT | EF-S 18-55 | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 | Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 | and growing...

Steve ­ Parr
6,593 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 28, 2006 13:58 as a reply to  @ orlowskij's post |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

orlowskij wrote:
Rentglass.com currently has 3 different canon lenses in stock, out of about 30 that they offer. Good prices though :rolleyes:

Make that two lenses and a 2X converter...

Steve

RWK
207 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 28, 2006 14:01 as a reply to  @ Steve Parr's post |  #14

I'd like to rent from them. It says they don't ship to Alaska, yet.

Rebel T4i 18-55 IS Kit Lens :cool:
Rebel XT Kit Lens
EF-S 17-85
EF 50 1.8
EF 70-300
EF-S 18-135 STM

Emenresu
584 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 28, 2006 14:09 as a reply to  @ Steve Parr's post |  #15

Steve Parr wrote:
Make that two lenses and a 2X converter...

Make that 3 lenses and a 2x tele:rolleyes:

Daniel Cottle Portrait Photographer (external link)
365 PHOTO BLOG (external link)

sponsored links

4,736 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens rental
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.