Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 08 May 2011 (Sunday) 09:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Copyright Breach & Data Protection UK

hania
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 08, 2011 09:52 |  #1

I was informed that an entry to a local 'Open Art' Competition was a direct copy in acrylics of a photograph of mine.

The painting was for sale.

I went to the Gallery , showed them my print & they removed the painting immediately.

Now, how do I find out the 'artist' who copied it ?

There is no doubt that this is almost a 'painting by numbers' copy & not a very good one at that!

I know the name of the artist,but, citing 'Data Protection, the Gallery is unable to give me any more details.

I obviously want to contact the 'artist' to request payment for Breach of Copyright.

The stupidity - someone copying a picture by a local photographer, then entering it in a local competition and thinking that I wouldn't find out about it!

Would I be able to 'lean' on the Gallery at all?

Have 'Googled ' for the name but this is an amateur so no web site.

Gear List

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

May 08, 2011 17:44 |  #2

Out of interest what was the image of?

hania
THREAD ­ STARTER
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 09, 2011 05:36 |  #3

Nightstalker wrote in post #12371975 (external link)
Out of interest what was the image of?

It was 2 pheasants on a silage clamp on our farm - its only a shot someone living on a farm could take - they are in the rain and on a pile of tyres.

update:

The gallery immediately pulled the painting - they agreed it was a 'paint by numbers' copy of the photo - not a very good one actually.

I spoke to them today & the person who did the painting is well known to them and has health (!) issues and has previously been very upset when her paintings have not been accepted in previous years.

They now have the delicate task of explaining to her why her painting has been removed - she would have no idea that she can't just use a photo from a paper & copy it.

I did say that they could put it back but put a prominent notice by it saying it was a copy of my photo - but then other people who entered will complain it is in breach of the terms of entry which is that the work must be original.

Given the health issue - reading between the lines I think she means mental health issues, not much point pursuing this, though I may try & get the local paper to print an article saying that photos they publish from members of the public in their 'local interest' spot are subject to copyright. (my photo was published there).

I feel sorry for the gallery..........

Gear List

othomas
531 posts
Joined Oct 2005

May 09, 2011 07:13 |  #4

To me if the gallery was telling the truth about the health of the artist, I would let it go at that. No point in persuing it further, you have nothing to gain and a lot to lose ... reputation for one.

Maybe write a letter to the artist explaining the reason why you were upset about the painting and handing it into the gallery to pass on.

hania
THREAD ­ STARTER
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 09, 2011 08:25 |  #5

othomas wrote in post #12374909 (external link)
To me if the gallery was telling the truth about the health of the artist, I would let it go at that. No point in persuing it further, you have nothing to gain and a lot to lose ... reputation for one.

Maybe write a letter to the artist explaining the reason why you were upset about the painting and handing it into the gallery to pass on.

Exactly - but it makes you wonder how objective the judging was this year - usually it is a panel of judges, but was only one this year - and the standard was well below last & previous years.

I have Googled the name and it appears she had a brain disease and one day woke up with 'foreign voice syndrome'- but like a fellow photographer said, we could all make a fuss and get our work in!

Gear List

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,047 views & 0 likes for this thread
Copyright Breach & Data Protection UK
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.