Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 May 2011 (Tuesday) 01:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is the 'true' sharpness of a lens

jwhittaker
THREAD ­ STARTER
111 posts
Joined May 2011

May 10, 2011 06:30 |  #16

Sdiver2489 wrote in post #12381396 (external link)
In the second test you stopped down to f13 at 15mm. Not only is that probably pointless, it will introduce some softness that may be bothering you. You appear to be using highlight tone priority because you used ISO200. You can disable this and access ISO100. Lastly, your shutter speed due to your aperture was only 1/30th a second. More than enough to hand hold but not enough to stop the motion of fluttering leaves.

Yeah, I was hoping to extend the depth of field by reducing fstop, so I would have more of a section in focus/sharp. I was thinking that wide open would confuse the issue as only a small bit would be in focus, but I'm not experienced enough to know if it would make a difference at the distances involved.

J u s t i n
Canon 600D, Canon 70-200 f2.8 mk2, Canon 15-85mm, Samyang 35 1.4, Canon 50mm F1.8,
Flikr Gallery (external link)

sponsored links
Sdiver2489
Goldmember
2,845 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2009

May 10, 2011 06:44 |  #17

jwhittaker wrote in post #12381423 (external link)
Yeah, I was hoping to extend the depth of field by reducing fstop, so I would have more of a section in focus/sharp. I was thinking that wide open would confuse the issue as only a small bit would be in focus, but I'm not experienced enough to know if it would make a difference at the distances involved.

http://www.dofmaster.c​om/dofjs.html (external link)

Pay attention to the hyperfocal distance. I like to play it a bit safe with this number but its a good guide. Basically if you had used F5.6 and focused about 10 ft away, everything from 4ft to infinity would be in focus. You can quickly see how for these focal lengths and subject distances, F13 is way overkill.

It took me messing up shutter speeds a few times to learn that, while a scene may look stationary, it really isn't. This is where IS can hurt you sometimes. Yes, you can hand hold at 15mm down to probably 1/2 a second or so...but leaves move rather quickly and that is likely to be the first thing you will lose detail in.

Please visit my Flickr (external link) and leave a comment!

Gear:
Canon 5D III, Canon 24-70L F4 IS, Canon 70-300L F4-F5.6 IS, Canon 100mm F2.8L IS Macro, Canon 35mm F2.0 IS, Canon 430EX II-RT, Canon 600EX II-RT

jwhittaker
THREAD ­ STARTER
111 posts
Joined May 2011

May 10, 2011 06:48 |  #18

Sdiver2489 wrote in post #12381471 (external link)
http://www.dofmaster.c​om/dofjs.html (external link)

Pay attention to the hyperfocal distance. I like to play it a bit safe with this number but its a good guide. Basically if you had used F5.6 and focused about 10 ft away, everything from 4ft to infinity would be in focus. You can quickly see how for these focal lengths and subject distances, F13 is way overkill.

It took me messing up shutter speeds a few times to learn that, while a scene may look stationary, it really isn't. This is where IS can hurt you sometimes. Yes, you can hand hold at 15mm down to probably 1/2 a second or so...but leaves move rather quickly and that is likely to be the first thing you will lose detail in.

Thanks for all the advice, this forum is awesome.

J u s t i n
Canon 600D, Canon 70-200 f2.8 mk2, Canon 15-85mm, Samyang 35 1.4, Canon 50mm F1.8,

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

May 10, 2011 06:49 |  #19

jwhittaker wrote in post #12381414 (external link)
Does that mean that the camera (not lens) introduces softness via it's onboard software? I read somewher about anti-aliasing but not sure what it means.

The camera has an anti-aliasing, or low-pass, filter in front of the sensor. This is required to prevent nasty artifacts and moire patterns in the final image. It does, however, blur the image slightly. Sharpening the image can improve the appearance of some of the blurred areas.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

windpig
Chopped liver
15,359 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

May 10, 2011 06:49 |  #20

Does that mean that the camera (not lens) introduces softness via it's onboard software? I read somewher about anti-aliasing but not sure what it means.

Yes, the capture has to be de-mosaiced, also there is the anti aliasing filter, which are different for different camera bodies.

My 40D and 7D require more sharpening than my 5DII, in fact it's real easy to over sharpen my 5DII images.

I use DPP a lot to cull out my shots. Default is set to 3, I feel I can go to 5 on a 40D or 5DII shot without feeling like I have an OOF shot. This is only a generalization.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,860 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

May 10, 2011 06:53 as a reply to  @ windpig's post |  #21

Have you ever considered one of these?
Its a good read.
http://www.canonrumors​.com …ica-m9-experience-review/ (external link)

GoneTomorrow
Goldmember
1,135 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 10, 2011 06:59 |  #22

Check the Picture Styles on your camera. There you will find the camera's setting for sharpness, contrast, and saturation. When I last had a Rebel, the sharpness was set to 0 out of the box.

These same three settings can be adjusted post-process if you shoot RAW. Otherwise, the settings are fixed with JPEG.

Canon 5D Mk II (35/1.4L | 24-70/2.8L | 135/2L | Euro Nifty | 430EX II | Gitzo G1125 + 494RC2) flickr (external link)

I bought a new camera. It's very advanced - you don't even need it. ~Steven Wright

jwhittaker
THREAD ­ STARTER
111 posts
Joined May 2011

May 10, 2011 07:15 |  #23

So if we take the actual image which lands on the sensor...
Does a sharpness of zero actually deliberately 'soften' the image - eg to be kind on wrinkly faces.
Does a sharpness of 7 actually make the image sharper than what lands on the sensor?
What is the setting for 'as is'? I guess its 3 or 4? - but maybe it's 7.
But I guess that's not imporant if shooting in RAW? It just ignores that sharpness setting and records exactly what it sees?

J u s t i n

Sdiver2489
Goldmember
2,845 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2009

May 10, 2011 07:25 |  #24

jwhittaker wrote in post #12381598 (external link)
So if we take the actual image which lands on the sensor...
Does a sharpness of zero actually deliberately 'soften' the image - eg to be kind on wrinkly faces.
Does a sharpness of 7 actually make the image sharper than what lands on the sensor?
What is the setting for 'as is'? I guess its 3 or 4? - but maybe it's 7.
But I guess that's not imporant if shooting in RAW? It just ignores that sharpness setting and records exactly what it sees?

1. No
2. Yes
3. 0 would be the closest to the output of the sensor
4. Correct

You have to understand that there are softening effects due to the Camera's AA filter and noise reduction. Because of this, the image recorded is softer than it needs to be sometimes. This can be partially recovered by applying some sharpening to your image.

Don't overthink this one, if using JPG, just find the setting that works best for you, I personally find 3 or 4 are usually good.

Please visit my Flickr (external link) and leave a comment!

Gear:
Canon 5D III, Canon 24-70L F4 IS, Canon 70-300L F4-F5.6 IS, Canon 100mm F2.8L IS Macro, Canon 35mm F2.0 IS, Canon 430EX II-RT, Canon 600EX II-RT

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

May 10, 2011 09:40 as a reply to  @ Sdiver2489's post |  #25

Lack of sharpness can be caused by a number of things, camera movement, subject movement, misfocus and lens optics.

The first two are due to user error, the third user error and/or equipment failure, the fourth also equipment failure.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
19,183 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined Mar 2009

May 10, 2011 10:20 |  #26

Given your subjects, I don't see anything wrong with the lens based on those shots; I wouldn't fret about it and get out and shoot. A lot of the other commenters here have given some great pointers. Also, remember that these cameras need good contrast to focus on (a transition from black to white, for an extreme example) and it looks like you were focusing on some pretty flat, mono-colored subjects in these shots. That isn't going to give you great focus anyway

It takes time and experience; as you spend the first and gain the second you'll find your pics get sharper regardless of the lens :)

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

sponsored links

2,720 views & 0 likes for this thread
What is the 'true' sharpness of a lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.