Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 07 May 2011 (Saturday) 21:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

workflow with photos in SSD -> RAID

datadump
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,932 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 10, 2011 07:51 |  #16

well i moved camera raw cache and catalog to my main ssd. i see some drastic improvement in Develop module and also when i perform Export of images (resize, post sharpen). nice.

datadump

sponsored links
hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

May 10, 2011 09:37 |  #17

magwai wrote in post #12381520 (external link)
remember that SSDs are much less reliable than HDDs so have a good and regular backup.

Er, I don't think so, not if you buy Intel. Intel SSD: 1st year failure rate = 0.6%. LINK (external link)

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

czynot
198 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 10, 2011 11:55 as a reply to  @ hollis_f's post |  #18

Only draw back with SSD is the hight price and small capacity.

5D MKII, 24-70mm L, 18-55mm IS,70-200mm 2.8L IS, 50mm 1.8, 100mm Macro, 2-580EX

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 11, 2011 07:14 |  #19

I've debated swapping my RAID1 boot drive(s) for SSD but, other than boot time and load time, I really do not see it as being cost effective. Reading a 20 meg file from a SSD or 7200rpm drive isn't going to increase my workflow. I boot up once a day so throwing money at that seems pointless.

In my case E8400 @ 3.6mgs, 12 gigs RAM could use more processor speed so I have my sites on a 2600k. The basket is loaded, just haven't hit the checkout button ;-)a

What is holding me back is that I do NOT want to reinstall Windows and all my applications. I should be able to get away with a board swap. I understand Win 7 is smart enough to know it needs different drivers and will load those. I hope :-)

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

May 11, 2011 08:36 |  #20

bohdank wrote in post #12388440 (external link)
I've debated swapping my RAID1 boot drive(s) for SSD but, other than boot time and load time, I really do not see it as being cost effective. Reading a 20 meg file from a SSD or 7200rpm drive isn't going to increase my workflow. I boot up once a day so throwing money at that seems pointless.

And if the only disk activity on my machine was booting up and loading image files then I'd agree with you. But it isn't, not by a loooooong chalk. Because I run Windows, and Windows (and most of the apps I use) don't load one chuck of code. It loads hundreds and thousands of titchy little files, and it does it all of the time. If you have a disk access light just sit and watch it blinking away, accessing the next little file that Windows decides it needs.

My Windows directory has 17,000 dll files in it - most of them are smaller than 250 kB. Every time Windows decides it needs to use one of these it takes an SSD about 1 ms to find it and load it. It takes a HDD about 10 times as long, or longer. Now that may not seem like much, but it adds up. And what it adds up to is - everything works noticeably faster; not just boot times; not just application load times - everything.

When I bought my first SSD I had a choice between that and upgrading from 4GB of fast RAM to 8GB, they were about the same cost. I went for the SSD and was amazed at the difference it made. A year later I did the RAM upgrade - meh!

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 11, 2011 10:15 |  #21

I'm sure 90% of those DLL's never get loaded. All I know is if I load CS5 do some editing, close it and come back much later, it loads in about 2-3 seconds so Win 7/64 is caching code as long as there is enough memory.

No arguing that on paper an SSD is much faster than a spinning disk but there is a lot more happening that can slow/speed up a system at the same time. Transfer speeds alone do not take that into account.

Most of my "wish I had a faster machine" is reserved for video rendering where the CPU is my current bottleneck. If I end up running < 100 % with the 2600k I'll assme, at that point, I need faster data transfer.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Hen3Ry
Goldmember
1,063 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 11, 2011 14:54 |  #22

tim wrote in post #12379752 (external link)
True, my point was hard disks are still pretty good for transferring large files :)

In practical terms I find SSDs great for fast booting and for cache, I haven't tried it for much else.

I think your point is valid. It seems to me that the question is: do I want to happen in the blink of an eye, or in two blinks of an eye? I'm pretty sure it will be hard to tell the difference, and that the time loading a file will generally depend on the size of the file, not the transfer speed or the storage media - at least, between cached spinning drives and SSD. Once a spinning drive completes the first I/O request, it will (unless interrupted for a higher priority I/O request) have the next data-read in cache - pretty much like an SSD.

Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là.

sponsored links

4,127 views & 0 likes for this thread
workflow with photos in SSD -> RAID
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.