Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 06 May 2011 (Friday) 09:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Am I the only one that does not like Bokeh?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,639 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

May 10, 2011 12:53 |  #196

At f11, sure?

What you keep showing is that you want landscapes to show almost everything in focus. I agree, that is one of the primary types of photographic subject material where deeper focal planes are desirable.

However there are MANY other types of shots you don't want everything in focus. I cannot even tell what you are asking or arguing at this point. ???

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links
LeeRatters
Cream of the Crop
5,446 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2009

May 10, 2011 12:55 as a reply to  @ post 12383493 |  #197

& to show the other end of the scale :rolleyes: :lol:

http://www.flickr.com …5659101668/in/p​hotostream (external link)

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5307/5659101668_2b3de37ba1.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/ratters445/5659​101668/  (external link)
Margam Park (external link) by Lee/Ratters (external link), on Flickr

IMO it all boils down to knowing when & where to use a shallow DOF - of course we all have differing opinions there so as long as the person behind the camera is happy with what they shoot the rest is [Should be] history ;)

>> Flickr << (external link)

>> Instagram<< (external link)

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 10, 2011 13:01 |  #198

Let me ask you this

Will this picture look better if you took it say at f22?

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 10, 2011 13:07 |  #199

4x4rock wrote in post #12382766 (external link)
I wonder if we can use bokeh as a verb :) like in "damn dude you bokehed the crap out of that shot...awesome!"

Or DOF...you dof'ed the scene just right. Nice! :D

Don't!

Although the dof'ed might take hold...

"Owning lots of expensive gear is very important. I helps those of us without talent appear as if we really know what we're doing" (Belmondo)

CanonEOS
700 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 10, 2011 13:23 |  #200
bannedPermanent ban

CyberManiaK wrote in post #12383493 (external link)
@CanonEOS..... Now being serious, If you want everything in focus like you have stated before.. Even using F14 (like in your portrait) it doesn't bring everything in focus, closing the aperture doesnt lead you to everything in focus. You must learn what is called hyperfocal distance and Depth of Field.

Ok lets start again I have been learning about the Depth of Field on my 18-135 lens that I most use, I read if I set the mode to AV and I want a sharp foreground and background I need a high aperture number from f/11 or higher say f/22, but if I need a bokeh background a lower aperture number f/5.6 is needed.

alpha_1976 wrote in post #12383568 (external link)
Let me ask you this

Will this picture look better if you took it say at f22?

You tell me I am still learning about the aperturs I just took that picture to test out my 50mm lens and at the time I didn't have a lens hood for it, but now I do, so this weekend I will go out to take more pictures to see what is the differents with a lens hood can make on this lens and my 55-250mm

Gear List

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,639 posts
Joined May 2002

May 10, 2011 13:33 |  #201

CanonEOS wrote in post #12383729 (external link)
Ok lets start again I have been learning about the Depth of Field on my 18-135 lens that I most use, I read if I set the mode to AV and I want a sharp foreground and background I need a high aperture number from f/11 or higher say f/22, but if I need a bokeh background a lower aperture number f/5.6 is needed.

You tell me I am still learning about the aperturs I just took that picture to test out my lens and at the time I didn't have a lens hood for the 50mm but now I do, so this week I will see what is the differents with a lens can make.

It is not just the aperture that controls your depth of field, you have a couple of factors you must control as well. The bokeh (quality of out of focus elements) depends on the lens individually, two different model lenses shooting at 300mm f5.6 will yield different bokeh, but the same DOF if shot from the same distance on the same camera.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

twixraider
114 posts
Joined May 2011

May 10, 2011 13:37 |  #202

CanonEOS wrote in post #12383345 (external link)
Sorry what do you mean the first one I wrote! anyway so do you think I need more sharpness in the girl eyes on the picture? it was taken with a 50mm f/1.8

Are you shure that it was the 50mm f/1.8? Because the exif datas say it was 52mm.

Super Rebel, | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, | EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS, |EF 50mm f/1.8 II, |Canon 580EX II.

CanonEOS
700 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 10, 2011 13:40 |  #203
bannedPermanent ban

Ok what's the differents with Depth of Field and depth of focus? because I have only learn about the Depth of Field and apertures

TeamSpeed wrote in post #12383811 (external link)
It is not just the aperture that controls your depth of focus, you have a couple of factors you must control as well. The bokeh (quality of out of focus elements) depends on the lens individually, two different model lenses shooting at 300mm f5.6 will yield different bokeh, but the same DOF if shot from the same distance on the same camera.

Gear List

twixraider
114 posts
Joined May 2011

May 10, 2011 13:43 |  #204

Here is a good link about DOF

Online Depth of Field Calculator (external link)

Here you can play with the sensor size, the focal length, the aperture and the distance and then you can see what effect it has on the dof.

Super Rebel, | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, | EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS, |EF 50mm f/1.8 II, |Canon 580EX II.

CanonEOS
700 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 10, 2011 13:47 |  #205
bannedPermanent ban

twixraider wrote in post #12383843 (external link)
Are you shure that it was the 50mm f/1.8? Because the exif datas say it was 52mm.

Sorry I have just look on my (Digital Photo Professional software) it was the 18-135mm at a aperture f/14. I made a mistake

Btw
Thanks for the link

Gear List

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,639 posts
Joined May 2002

May 10, 2011 13:56 |  #206

CanonEOS wrote in post #12383863 (external link)
Ok what's the differents with Depth of Field and depth of focus? because I have only learn about the Depth of Field and apertures

I changed my post above, the older term is depth of focus, we now call it depth of field. :)

CanonEOS
700 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 10, 2011 14:11 |  #207
bannedPermanent ban

TeamSpeed wrote in post #12383992 (external link)
I changed my post above, the older term is depth of focus, we now call it depth of field. :)

The most pictures I take are with AV mode for the depth of field but should I use (M) or (AV)?, this weekend I will try out my lenses with the lens hoods on, to see the differents it makes in the depth of field.

Gear List

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

May 10, 2011 14:19 |  #208

CanonEOS wrote in post #12384075 (external link)
this weekend I will try out my lenses with the lens hoods on, to see the differents it makes in the depth of field.

While a lens hood is a good thing to use, it will do absolutely nothing to the depth of field in an image.

A lens hood will block stray light that is not sourced in the scene seen by the camera and it will help to protect the lens from the photographer's fingers as well as the daily bumps the front of a lens seems to get.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

DM1975
272 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 10, 2011 14:25 |  #209

CanonEOS wrote in post #12383729 (external link)

You tell me I am still learning about the aperturs I just took that picture to test out my 50mm lens and at the time I didn't have a lens hood for it, but now I do, so this weekend I will go out to take more pictures to see what is the differents with a lens hood can make on this lens and my 55-250mm

You gotta be kidding right? All the guff you have been talking and you think a lens hood will improve depth of field?

ETA: Ahhhhh.... You edited your post.

Website (external link)
Currently rebuilding my kit piece at a time
50D w/ BG-E2|430EXII|YN560x2|Cac​tusV5x4|White Lightning X800|Vanguard Alta Pro 263 Tripod|Sigma 12-24|70-200 f2.8L|24-105 f4L IS
These images brought to you today by the letter L

twixraider
114 posts
Joined May 2011

May 10, 2011 14:36 |  #210

CanonEOS wrote in post #12384075 (external link)
The most pictures I take are with AV mode for the depth of field but should I use (M) or (AV)?, this weekend I will try out my lenses with the lens hoods on, to see the differents it makes in the depth of field.

Shoot in AV Mode, so the shutterspeed will be automatily adjusted. The hood has now effect. Only the sensor size, the focal lengh, the aperture and the distance to your object will have effect to your DOF

I dont know if you noticed the button on the right side of your lens mount. This is to control the dof.

sponsored links

24,184 views & 0 likes for this thread
Am I the only one that does not like Bokeh?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.