Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 May 2011 (Monday) 12:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why do (some) ppl think 60D not worth getting?

twixraider
114 posts
Joined May 2011

May 10, 2011 15:15 |  #106

CanonEOS wrote in post #12384126 (external link)
What do you mean not real pictures, what is wrong with using the "live view" LCD then the viewfinder? none that I can think of most of my photos are shot in "Live view" without a problem, only sometimes I get a problem and that is with the sun

you really got some problem with sarcasm?

Super Rebel, | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, | EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS, |EF 50mm f/1.8 II, |Canon 580EX II.

sponsored links
twixraider
114 posts
Joined May 2011

May 10, 2011 15:23 |  #107

ChuckingFluff wrote in post #12384396 (external link)
CF cards are not going away and will always be better than SD cards. SD cards have a 9 pin interface and only allows for a 4-bit data transfer bus. The 50 pin CF card has a 16-bit data transfer bus. CF cards are considered more reliable than SD cards. There's a reason why both Nikon and Canon use CF cards in their high end pro models.

I dont think so. I think it has something to do with haptic and feelings.
I belive that SD Cards are more reliable then CF Card's. As you wright the CF cards have 50 pins and so the are more vulnerable by wrong handling.

Super Rebel, | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, | EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS, |EF 50mm f/1.8 II, |Canon 580EX II.

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

May 10, 2011 16:11 |  #108

twixraider wrote in post #12384539 (external link)
I belive that SD Cards are more reliable then CF Card's. As you wright the CF cards have 50 pins and so the are more vulnerable by wrong handling.

I've been using CF cards from as far back as I can remember, and I have to say in all those years I have not had one CF Card or CF Connector related failure. I can remember digital cameras having RS-232C interfaces (Kodak DC260), so that's how far back I go and then some.

I still shake my head in wonder about how people are damaging them.

The only thought I have is they may be using off brand CF cards that are poorly made causing damage.

I have looked at CF cards from several manufacturers over the years and some of the off brand ones look scary.

Other than poorly constructed CF cards it would have to be User Error.

ChuckingFluff
Goldmember
1,391 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 10, 2011 16:16 |  #109

twixraider wrote in post #12384539 (external link)

Don't worry about the pins as their in the camera and the female end is on the card so no worries about damaging them. I've washed a CF card and put it through the dryer with no problems. :lol:

Stump
772 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 10, 2011 16:20 |  #110

ChuckingFluff wrote in post #12384892 (external link)
Don't worry about the pins as their in the camera and the female end is on the card so no worries about damaging them. I've washed a CF card and put it through the dryer with no problems. :lol:

He's probably referring to them getting bent inside the camera or inside the card reader, it happens. I prefer SD as well.

6D - 50 1.8 - 50 1.4 - 70-200F4L

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 10, 2011 16:22 |  #111

Keyan wrote in post #12384308 (external link)
^^^^^
A have no desire to buy a camera that uses CF cards - they are dying and I don't want to invest in them.

CF cards will be around, according to Canon ....

for a long long time to come, we ( Canon ) have absolutely no plans on removing it from our professional camera model lineup.

ChuckingFluff
Goldmember
1,391 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 10, 2011 16:27 |  #112

Stump wrote in post #12384913 (external link)
He's probably referring to them getting bent inside the camera or inside the card reader, it happens. I prefer SD as well.

you really can't put it in backwards so theres not much to worry about. You could try and force it the wrong way but you'd know pretty fast that your doing something wrong.

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

May 10, 2011 16:27 |  #113

And they will continue to be more and more expensive and harder and harder to find as they are relegated to only a few "pro" devices.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 10, 2011 16:34 |  #114

ChuckingFluff wrote in post #12384958 (external link)
you really can't put it in backwards so theres not much to worry about. You could try and force it the wrong way but you'd know pretty fast that your doing something wrong.

I think some of the problems are caused by poorly designed CF cards.

If you look at the connector end of the CF card, each opening has a bevel to it. This is to guide the CF pin safely into the connector. What I have noticed is the bevel is not as 'wide' or "deep" on some cards as it might be on others.

Also I have seen some off brand cards where the sockets inside the card are not completely seated or centered and this also can and has grabbed a pin. In those cases the user will feel more than normal resistance, and some will just push a little HARDER and OOPS .... there goes the pin.

I've never bought, nor used any of the off brand cards .... for me it's been nothing but SanDisk or Lexar.

Maybe that is why I have never had an issue?

Keyan wrote in post #12384966 (external link)
And they will continue to be more and more expensive and harder and harder to find as they are relegated to only a few "pro" devices.

CF cards are more expensive because they cost more to produce.
Kinda like it costs more to produce a Maserati then it does to produce a Ford Focus.

I still have some old 2MB CF cards and they still function today...have no use for them but we did try them to see if they still worked and they did.

twixraider
114 posts
Joined May 2011

May 10, 2011 16:37 |  #115

ChuckingFluff wrote in post #12384958 (external link)

**** happens

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Rocky ­ Rhode
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 10, 2011 16:37 as a reply to  @ harcosparky's post |  #116

The CF cards remind me of the old Tubes that you had to change in TV sets…I remember my Dad headed out to the hardware store to test the tubes on the machine, straighten out the pins and put them back into the TV so we could watch all (3) channels.

GEAR LIST Flickr (external link)

ChuckingFluff
Goldmember
1,391 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 10, 2011 16:39 |  #117

Ya theres flaws in everything but I'll take the speed advantage and the reliability any day over a SD card. ps. You just need to be a little more careful.

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 10, 2011 16:44 |  #118

ChuckingFluff wrote in post #12385038 (external link)
Ya theres flaws in everything but I'll take the speed advantage and the reliability any day over a SD card. ps. You just need to be a little more careful.

you know what's really funny?

people trying to debate CF cards vs. SD cards.

How many other forms of digital media cards has the CF outlasted? outperformed?

How many people are using SmartMedia cards? Remember when they came out, how they were gonna replace CF cards? :rolleyes:

I remember SmartMedia cards having compatibility issues with SmartMedia cameras because of format compatibility issues.

Yet the CF card has a standard interface and will work in all CF devices across the board.

I'd venture to say some of those arguing for the SD cards 'superiority' don't even know there was a card called " SmartMedia".

Something will come along someday and make SD cards obsolete ... and that pesky old CF card will still be around.

To date the CF Card has outlasted all that came before and after it! :D

twixraider
114 posts
Joined May 2011

May 10, 2011 16:46 |  #119

ChuckingFluff wrote in post #12385038 (external link)

didnt happend to me. Ifound it on the net. I just wanted to show that it can happen that the pins get bendet.

I also was not happy that my 60D uses SD Cards, because now my CF Cards where useless.
But I just dont think that SD cards have less quality.

ChuckingFluff
Goldmember
1,391 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 10, 2011 16:49 |  #120

harcosparky wrote in post #12385065 (external link)
you know what's really funny?

people trying to debate CF cards vs. SD cards.

How many other forms of digital media cards has the CF outlasted? outperformed?

How many people are using SmartMedia cards? Remember when they came out, how they were gonna replace CF cards? :rolleyes:

I remember SmartMedia cards having compatibility issues with SmartMedia cameras because of format compatibility issues.

Yet the CF card has a standard interface and will work in all CF devices across the board.

I'd venture to say some of those arguing for the SD cards 'superiority' don't even know there was a card called " SmartMedia".

I agree..
Some people don't want the truth and don't care for the facts. The SD card is newer but it doesn't make it better, the stats proves it again and again. I guess Canon and Nikon got it wrong and Nikon only uses the CF card on the higher end gear the 3D series and for some reason they put it on the D300s. But what does the big two know about CF cards? I think they need to hire some of the folks around here that know better (sarcasm)

sponsored links

21,837 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why do (some) ppl think 60D not worth getting?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.