Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 06 May 2011 (Friday) 09:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Am I the only one that does not like Bokeh?

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

May 10, 2011 16:05 |  #226

I seldom use the exposure automation that my 20D has simply because, with the use of a handheld light meter, I can produce well-exposed images more reliably using manual control than the camera can using its automation. I can often work faster with my methods than I could with the camera's automation getting in the way.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

sponsored links
ChuckingFluff
Goldmember
1,391 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 10, 2011 16:22 |  #227

twixraider wrote in post #12384570 (external link)
so you only shoot in studios? Cant belive that you never use AV or TV. How offen you missed a good shot because you first had to adjust your aperture and your shutter speed:cool:

I shoot in all types of enviroments and I never miss a shot, I know my camera very well and I know how to use it. I know where every button is in the dark and I know all of the short cuts. I never ever let the camera decide what's best, It's not that smart. I know what's best and can control it. Without practice you'll never get it but that's fine it's not for everyone. I'm also noticing a trend in all your posts and it sucks.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,293 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

May 10, 2011 17:39 |  #228

TeamSpeed wrote in post #12383992 (external link)
I changed my post above, the older term is depth of focus, we now call it depth of field. :)

In truth, DOF is the zone in front of the lens in which the Circles of Confusion are below the threshold of the eyes' ability to detect.

The Depth of Focus is the zone behind the lens...this is important because of film's difficulty of lying perfectly flat at the focal plane, which of course is not an issue with digital sensors unless the camera itself is very poorly made.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 10, 2011 18:24 |  #229

ChuckingFluff wrote in post #12384931 (external link)
I shoot in all types of enviroments and I never miss a shot, I know my camera very well and I know how to use it. I know where every button is in the dark and I know all of the short cuts. I never ever let the camera decide what's best, It's not that smart. I know what's best and can control it. Without practice you'll never get it but that's fine it's not for everyone. I'm also noticing a trend in all your posts and it sucks.

That's just fantastic! And congrats for never missing a shot!

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

Green ­ Man
682 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 10, 2011 21:35 |  #230

krb wrote in post #12384762 (external link)
heh. I stick with M mode because it's easier for me to understand. Av and Tv get too confusing for me.

+1, I stick w/ M because it's what I understand and I always know what mode I'm in. The few times I've tried AV or TV I forget what mode I'm in and miss the shot because I'm pushing the wrong buttons...

-Chris

CanonEOS
700 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 11, 2011 01:49 |  #231
bannedPermanent ban

I am still learning the DSLR I first came from a P&S to a DSLR it's not been easy to understand all the Photography terms and settings in a DSLR but I will learn more from experience camera users maybe I don't fully understand all about bokeh because I am still learning the DOF. I only want to learn this first.

Thank you.

Gear List

Pete
I was "Prime Mover" many years back....
38,631 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 11, 2011 05:36 |  #232

CanonEOS wrote in post #12387777 (external link)
I am still learning the DSLR I first came from a P&S to a DSLR it's not been easy to understand all the Photography terms and settings in a DSLR but I will learn more from experience camera users maybe I don't fully understand all about bokeh because I am still learning the DOF. I only want to learn this first.

Thank you.

Probably the best thing you can do is look through the "sharing" sections here and see how other people have made creative use of depth of field. You'll mainly find that for close up subjects (portraits, macro shots), a narrow depth of field is used to put emphasis on the subject. However, landscapes have pretty much all of the photo in focus.

At the end of the day, you're the photographer and you choose how you want to take photos. It's perfectly acceptable for you to "buck the trend" if you want to. Other people may not appreciate your point of view, but you need to do what you're happy with. That being sad, you should continue to open yourself up to other people's point of view and advice.

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

CanonEOS
700 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 11, 2011 06:35 |  #233
bannedPermanent ban

I will listen to any members who give me some good advice on my camera and the depth of field, that's why I joined this forum to learn from the experience users anyway thank you for your suggestions.

I like to shoot my pictures using the LCD I find it much easy to change the settings I know other members will never agree to my point of view, but everyone is different in life I do know many real professional use the view-finder, but I am happy the way I use my camera.

Pete wrote in post #12388212 (external link)
Probably the best thing you can do is look through the "sharing" sections here and see how other people have made creative use of depth of field. You'll mainly find that for close up subjects (portraits, macro shots), a narrow depth of field is used to put emphasis on the subject. However, landscapes have pretty much all of the photo in focus.

At the end of the day, you're the photographer and you choose how you want to take photos. It's perfectly acceptable for you to "buck the trend" if you want to. Other people may not appreciate your point of view, but you need to do what you're happy with. That being sad, you should continue to open yourself up to other people's point of view and advice.

Gear List

jj_glos
Goldmember
1,938 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Nov 2009

May 11, 2011 06:53 |  #234

All photography is subjective and down to personal preference, that is what is so great about it. If you like something, stick with it! Along the way people may offer alternate views, you may then adjust your own view based on this additional information, or if it is of no benefit to you just file it away in the old memory banks! :)

Depth of field is just a tool. When you are looking at scene just ask yourself "does the background add or detract from the moment I am trying to capture?". For most landscape shots you'll probably want a deep depth of field, this isn't always the case so don't view it as a rule.

If you have a cluttered background behind a nice family portrait, you may feel it detracts. So in this case you may feel you want a depth of field which allows you to blur the distracting background. This may also involve moving your subject away for the background so you can increase the blur.

Using a large aperture\shooting a lens wide open is also something that you may just have to do due to lighting conditions. The wider the aperture the more light you are letting in, so in low light you either need a wide aperture, or a higher ISO (assuming you are keeping a base shutter speed required for your subject or hand holding). You have to decide whether you want a low ISO (less noise), or do you raise the ISO (more noise) so that you can have a deeper depth of field.

A lens with IS could give you more flexibility in this instance as you can use a lower shutter speed (when hand holding), of course this doesn't help if your subject is moving...!

Just learn the F-stop, ISO and Shutter speed interaction and what each does. It is straightforward really :)

CanonEOS
700 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 11, 2011 07:28 |  #235
bannedPermanent ban

This is a debate over How many people need/use live view for me it was a Interesting please read all.

http://forums.dpreview​.com …22&thread=24966​115&page=1 (external link)

Gear List

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 11, 2011 07:44 |  #236

CanonEOS wrote in post #12388487 (external link)
This is a debate over How many people need/use live view for me it was a Interesting please read all.

http://forums.dpreview​.com …22&thread=24966​115&page=1 (external link)

DM1975
I will talk to you if you drop your attitude to me, I use the live view end of story.

Live view is good only for a few things. if you want to keep on using it for everything- no problem. I am sure later on when you know more - you'll regret.

Gear List

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,556 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

May 11, 2011 07:51 |  #237

Let's stop it here, the mods are busy with their lives and don't want to come in here just to delete out posts.

Back on track....... please!

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

May 11, 2011 07:53 |  #238

CanonEOS wrote in post #12388340 (external link)
I like to shoot my pictures using the LCD I find it much easy to change the settings I know other members will never agree to my point of view, but everyone is different in life I do know many real professional use the view-finder, but I am happy the way I use my camera.

Unless you use a solid tripod every time you are using the LCD as a viewfinder, your images are often going to suffer.

There's simply no way that one can use a DSLR as if it were a point-n-shoot camera and hold it nearly as steady as when using the viewfinder normally (camera fairly tight up against the face), holding the camera with the right hand, cradling the lens in your left hand, and locking your elbows into your sides as part of holding the camera. That hold simply cannot be done when using Live View mode.

Also, if you use the camera like it's a point-n-shoot (like the two images above in your post #237), you are almost definitely going to have folks laughing at you from time to time.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

CanonEOS
700 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 11, 2011 08:18 |  #239
bannedPermanent ban

I understand what you are saying about the live view but most of my pictures I take now are in live view, sometimes I use my tripod for landscape pictures, no one here looks or laughs at me some of my friends have P&S camera also Nikon DSLR we are all learning together when we meet sometimes my friends tryed to convince me to go Nikon but went to Canon, Because I like Canon.

SkipD wrote in post #12388588 (external link)
Unless you use a solid tripod every time you are using the LCD as a viewfinder, your images are often going to suffer.

There's simply no way that one can use a DSLR as if it were a point-n-shoot camera and hold it nearly as steady as when using the viewfinder normally (camera fairly tight up against the face), holding the camera with the right hand, cradling the lens in your left hand, and locking your elbows into your sides as part of holding the camera. That hold simply cannot be done when using Live View mode.Also, if you use the camera like it's a point-n-shoot (like the two images above in your post #237), you are almost definitely going to have folks laughing at you from time to time.

alpha_1976 wrote in post #12388594 (external link)
Canon EOS
seriously what is your point? I am seriously confused?

Don't be confused I am only asking for information on the DOF as you know what my gear is, I just want to learn more and what do you use in the f/numbers to take flowers, landscape, people or children face, also on night what do you use? I shoot in AV most of the time, but some members suggestions was to use M, I also like to take water falls I have tried before in TV mode but it didn't look good. I still have the pictures if you like I can upload them here.

Thank you

Gear List

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 11, 2011 08:57 |  #240

CanonEOS wrote in post #12388689 (external link)
I understand what you are saying about the live view but most of my pictures I take now are in live view, sometimes I use my tripod for landscape pictures, no one here looks or laughs at me some of my friends have P&S camera also Nikon DSLR we are all learning together when we meet sometimes my friends tryed to convince me to go Nikon but went to Canon, Because I like Canon.

Don't be confused I am only asking for information on the DOF as you know what my gear is, I just want to learn more and what do you use in the f/numbers to take flower, landscape, people or children face, also on night I shoot in AV, but some members suggestions was to use M, I also like to take water falls I have tried before in TV mode but it did look good. I still have the pictures if you like I can upload them here.

I apologize if I sound harsh to you but you just keep bring up the Words your attitude after sometime it's a pain keep bring it up like I should Remember it forever. please just stop it.

Thank you

Take you 50mm f1.8 and take some pics of things around you at different apertures and also at different distances. Try to do this exercise when light is plenty. Av is fine to begin with, in manual you have to select shutter speed as well. Av is simpler as you choose just the aperture you want and shutter speed is set accordingly.

If you want to separate your subject from the background/foreground use larger apertures (smaller f number) (e.g. portraits and flowers); if you want increased DOF use smaller apertures (larger f number) (e.g. for landscapes).

Gear List

sponsored links

24,057 views & 0 likes for this thread
Am I the only one that does not like Bokeh?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.