Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 06 May 2011 (Friday) 09:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Am I the only one that does not like Bokeh?

jj_glos
Goldmember
1,938 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Nov 2009

May 11, 2011 09:02 |  #241

I did post earlier, but you didn't respond so I don't know if it was stuff you already know or not.

TV mode will let you set a shutter speed that you require, the camera will then adjust the aperture value to ensure that the shutter speed is what you set it as.

AV mode will let you set an aperture value that you require, the camera will then adjust the shutter speed to ensure that the aperture value is what you set it as.

Together with the two above modes and also the manual mode, you can use Auto ISO. This will change the ISO value to ensure that the shutter\aperture values that you set can be achieved. Obviously if lighting conditions are not suitable for the values that you are using the camera may not be able to set the values automatically.

I would recommend that you spend some time in manual mode with Auto ISO enabled. This will let you mess around with shutter speed and aperture values to see the results.

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

May 11, 2011 09:26 |  #242

Let's keep personalities out of this, folks.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

CanonEOS
700 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 11, 2011 09:27 |  #243
bannedPermanent ban

Hi alpha_1976
Thanks for the Help I will print it off, what is best in apertures for landscape on a sunny day or over cast weather!.

Hi jj_glos

Sorry if I must have miss it, all this info is good to know mush better then a book. I was told if I want night shoots I have to use the B mode? with a tripod. is that true, I use my tripod most of the time I have IS on my lenses but my hand are not that steady also been old don't help.

Gear List

Traci_Ann
I'm a masochist
3,589 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined May 2005

May 11, 2011 09:35 |  #244

CanonEOS wrote in post #12389012 (external link)
Hi jj_glos

Sorry if I must have miss it, all this info is good to know mush better then a book. I was told if I want night shoots I have to use the B mode? with a tripod. is that true, I use my tripod most of the time I have IS on my lenses but my hand are not that steady been old don't help.

Keeping your elbows tucked in at your sides. Breathe out as your press the shutter, do not jab at it. These will help if you aren't the steadiest person.

Maybe useful video on how to properly hold a camera. http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=EDsx3-FWfwk (external link)

Sevas Tra

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

May 11, 2011 09:47 |  #245

CanonEOS wrote in post #12389012 (external link)
I was told if I want night shoots I have to use the B mode? with a tripod. is that true,

As with pretty much everything in photography, it depends.

Your camera has a shutter timer that can handle up to 30 seconds. If you need to go longer then you will need to use B mode. But here the trick: the B refers to "bulb" like the old squeeze bulbs that you'd see used back in the old days. B is basically the same as M except that you are using the bulb to time the shot rather than using the internal shutter timer. If you want to take a 5 minute exposure then you have to keep the shutter button pressed for 5 minutes and then release it when you are done.

This is where a remote shutter release, the modern equivalent of the old squeeze bulbs, comes in. The have a locking mechanism so you can lock the shutter button down instead of having to hold it. They also let you do all this pressing and releasing without knocking the camera around. More expensive remote shutter releases have built in timers so you can take that 5 minute exposure without having to keep checking your watch.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

CanonEOS
700 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 11, 2011 09:59 |  #246
bannedPermanent ban

So night shoot using B mode is slower, so if I use M will it be better and faster? I have a 430EX II flash for the night shoots wiill that help out doors for a faster shoot.

Interesting thanks

krb wrote in post #12389115 (external link)
As with pretty much everything in photography, it depends.
Your camera has a shutter timer that can handle up to 30 seconds. If you need to go longer then you will need to use B mode. But here the trick: the B refers to "bulb" like the old squeeze bulbs that you'd see used back in the old days. B is basically the same as M except that you are using the bulb to time the shot rather than using the internal shutter timer. If you want to take a 5 minute exposure then you have to keep the shutter button pressed for 5 minutes and then release it when you are done.

This is where a remote shutter release, the modern equivalent of the old squeeze bulbs, comes in. The have a locking mechanism so you can lock the shutter button down instead of having to hold it. They also let you do all this pressing and releasing without knocking the camera around. More expensive remote shutter releases have built in timers so you can take that 5 minute exposure without having to keep checking your watch.

Gear List

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

May 11, 2011 10:02 |  #247

CanonEOS wrote in post #12389185 (external link)
So night shoot using B mode is slower, so if I use M will it be better and faster? I have a 430EX II flash for the night shoots wiill that help out doors for a faster shoot.

Interesting thanks

You can only use B (bulb) in manual mode.

Flash will be useless beyond 10 or 20 meters.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

frankwite
400 posts
Joined May 2008

May 11, 2011 10:04 |  #248

WRAG wrote in post #12358649 (external link)
I have just started to try and take more advanced photos and been researching and learning a lot over the past few weeks. I have learned that photos with a blurred background, more DOF are considered better than photos where the entire scene is focused, at least for sports and portraits. Not so much for landscapes.

Am I the only one that does not think a blurred background is pleasing, in any setting? In my sports photos, I like to see the faces of the other people in the crowd, the other kids on the field etc. I think it adds to the excitment of the game. I do not like to have the main subject in focus and everything behind him blurry so you cannot even tell what is in the background. Maybe I will come around to appreciate the better quality of blurred background as I know the majority think it is better, but I just don't get it.

Anyone else had this thought when they first got into photos and then learned to appreciate the blurred backgrounds?

I wonder if the OP feels the same as I do after reading 17 pages of debates that have nothing to do with what he/she originally asked. Nowhere does he/she ask for a definition of bokeh, nor does he/she even mention the word "bokeh". Neither does he/she ask for photos in this thread to explain to him/her what a blurry background is. Last but not least nowhere did he/she remotely ask about what mode anyone shoot's in.
This thread has totally derailed and needs to get back on topic without all the off topic ranting. Smh!

5D ll | 5D | SL1 | Lumix LX7 | 24-105L| 70-200L| 135L| 85 1.8| 50 1.4| 28 1.8| 50 1.8 ll| 40 2.8 STM| 35 2.0|75-300 lll|18-55 STM| 28-75 2.8

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

May 11, 2011 10:05 |  #249

CanonEOS wrote in post #12389185 (external link)
So night shoot using B mode is slower, so if I use M will it be better and faster?

I have no idea what you mean by slower and faster. The difference between these modes is that in M mode the shutter duration is controlled by the camera's internal timer while in B mode the shutter duration is controlled by how long the shutter button is pressed.

- If you put the camera in M mode and set the shutter speed to 1/1000 of a second then you will get a 1/1000 second exposure even if you hold the shutter button down for several minutes.
- If you put the camera in M mode and set teh shutter speed to 20 seconds then you will get a 20 second exposure even if you only tap the shutter button.
- If you put the camera in B mode and tap the shutter button so that it is only pressed for 1/4 second then you will have a 1/4 second exposure.
- If you put the camera in B mode and hold the shutter button down for 10 hours then you will have a 10 hour exposure (if the batteries last that long).

I have a 430EX II flash for the night shoots wiill that help out doors for a faster shoot.

If you want to take a picture of a person at night then the flash will light them up just fine. If you want take a landscape or cityscape at night then you're going to need a much more powerful flash to properly light the scene. ;)

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 11, 2011 10:12 |  #250

krb wrote in post #12389211 (external link)
If you want take a landscape or cityscape ..... then you're going to need a much more powerful flash to properly light the scene. ;)

I have a large continuous light (external link) I use for that, but it has somewhat seasonal availability:

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,028 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

May 11, 2011 10:25 |  #251

Boy, this thread has wandered all over the place, now it has recently evolved into a primer on the very basics of photography. I know that there are always spur discussions, which is fine. But the purpose of the thread is now totally lost in a photographic primer about Av vs. Tv vs AutoISO and M vs. B modes, and speeds.

I suggest, for the benefit of the OP, that folks get back on topic (defined in the name of the thread), and if you want these other topics to be discussed in greater detail, start a new thread. Forum rules.

Certainly many of us are glad that the pointless carping on issues has seemed to cease. The opportunity for learning is far greater with an open mind, and less attitude exhibited. That's why I left Google Newsgroups to the 'children' and their flame wars, for the peace of POTN.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,028 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 11, 2011 10:30 |  #252

frankwite wrote in post #12389207 (external link)
I wonder if the OP feels the same as I do after reading 17 pages of debates that have nothing to do with what he/she originally asked. Nowhere does he/she ask for a definition of bokeh, nor does he/she even mention the word "bokeh". Neither does he/she ask for photos in this thread to explain to him/her what a blurry background is. Last but not least nowhere did he/she remotely ask about what mode anyone shoot's in.
This thread has totally derailed and needs to get back on topic without all the off topic ranting. Smh!

'Bokeh' was in the name of the thread posted by the OP...that is how the debate on terminology arose. Correction of misuse was appropriate, not unlike someone referring to shooting with f/22 as, "I used a large aperture for maximum DOF" is wrong terminology.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

CanonEOS
700 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 11, 2011 10:35 |  #253
bannedPermanent ban

krb wrote in post #12389211 (external link)
I have no idea what you mean by slower and faster. need a much more powerful flash to properly light the scene. ;)

Sorry I miss out some words what I mean is if I use the B mode the shutter speed will be slower but if I use the M mode will the shutter speed be faster. for night shoots anyway I now understand that my flash is not powerful outside for landscape, or cityscape.

Gear List

frankwite
400 posts
Joined May 2008

May 11, 2011 10:39 |  #254

Wilt wrote in post #12389369 (external link)
'Bokeh' was in the name of the thread posted by the OP...that is how the debate on terminology arose. Correction of misuse was appropriate, not unlike someone referring to shooting with f/22 as, "I used a large aperture for maximum DOF" is wrong terminology.

I'm referring to what the OP asked in his/her post not title. Even in the title he/she doesn't ask for a definition of bokeh or did I misread it!!! :confused:

5D ll | 5D | SL1 | Lumix LX7 | 24-105L| 70-200L| 135L| 85 1.8| 50 1.4| 28 1.8| 50 1.8 ll| 40 2.8 STM| 35 2.0|75-300 lll|18-55 STM| 28-75 2.8

Iancentric
714 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 11, 2011 10:40 |  #255

OP writes "Am I the only one that does not like Bokeh?'

I answer "probably"

I like bokeh, it isolates the subject from the background. I'd rather have a pleasing to the eye bokeh from a good lens than ugly bokeh from a cheap lens.

Ian
Flickr (external link)
Tumblr (external link)
instagram (external link)

sponsored links

23,974 views & 0 likes for this thread
Am I the only one that does not like Bokeh?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.