Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
Thread started 10 May 2011 (Tuesday) 13:47
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "What is your modus operandi (method), of an "average" outing"
Carefully compose like a sniper, making every shot count
15.6%
Hold down the shutter like a machine gun. (the law of averages, al least 1 will turn out)
7.8%
Mostly a sniper, but sometimes rapid fire
53.2%
Mostly rapid fire, but a little bit sniper.
6.5%
Sniper and machine gun, pretty much equally.
16.9%

77 voters, 77 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Method of bird shots: Compose carefully or rapid fire?

Crimzon
Cream of the Crop
5,279 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined May 2009

May 10, 2011 13:47 |  #1

I know it is mostly situational. But take out the unique situations, and think about your average bird outing. Your usual method

Do you take careful aim and compose the shot like a sniper?

Do you take aim and hold the shutter down like a machine gun.

Mostly A, but with a bit of B

Mostly B with a bit of A

Pretty close to evenly A and B.

I can't really think of another method.

The reasons for choosing one method over the other is how many shots you want to go through. Or maybe your a perfectionist and want to keep your keeper rate up. Either way, just curious.

The poll is not to pass judgement, just curious to your methods.

My blog (external link)

Always feel free to provide constructive criticism to any of my pics.

sponsored links
Duane ­ N
Cream of the Crop
9,075 posts
Gallery: 198 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Nov 2007

May 10, 2011 17:22 |  #2

I stood next to a photographer a few years ago and they told me their method to getting the shots they do....they said "I fire of a burst of about 4-5 shots and usually the second or third is sharp"...I scratched my head about this as I gazed over to their tripod with a coat and water bottle hanging off of it. :lol:

I try to learn something each time I got out....most of the time I learn what not to do. :p

In most of my situations I'm mainly a sniper (about 95% of the time) with some bursts mixed in during in-flights.

www.3rdicreations.com (external link)

Crimzon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,279 posts
Joined May 2009

May 10, 2011 18:13 |  #3

I agree Duane about your fist statement. I don't understand it either but I guess if it works to rapid fire, it works. I'm not passing judgement. It just doesn't work for me.

I mostly shoot sniper, but I do sometimes hold down the button.

My blog (external link)

Chas ­ G
38 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 11, 2011 15:46 as a reply to  @ Crimzon's post |  #4

Starting out I was the rapid fire type, which would get really frustrating. After reading the mountains of advice on this site, I have learned to be more the sniper type. But still fire away at birds in flight.

robertwsimpson
Goldmember
2,471 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 11, 2011 15:50 |  #5

All that rapid fire shooting does for me is give me more photos to delete when I get home. Normally, I snipe, but if something *magical* is happening, I'll shoot a bunch... not at full speed, but maybe 2-3/second.

Example: I really liked how this Anhinga looked sitting on a bare tree with the sun rising behind him, so I shot some photos, but I kept waiting for him to "strike a pose" that was more interesting to me. When he started moving, I started shooting, and I ended up with this:

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5066/5631434412_c3c3ff34bc.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/40483547@N07/5​631434412/  (external link)
Howl at the sun (external link) by robertwsimpson (external link), on Flickr

The ones before were nice, but I thought this one was just magical. I didn't even bother taking any after I got this one. I just walked away.

Crimzon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,279 posts
Joined May 2009

May 11, 2011 20:58 |  #6

Even though I usually "try" to compose, and make every shot count. I have to admit to gear envy. When I was at a local marsh last weekend.

There was an osprey fishing. I got a few shots of it. But there was a man with a 7D and a 500f/4 he held down his shutter button and must have taken a hundred shots in about 10 seconds (I'm not actually sure the FPS of the 7D) but all I could hear was a rapid clicking, almost literally like a silenced machine gun. I felt a bit inadequate with the ker-ching ker-ching of my Rebel XS and my lousy 3 FPS. (in actual fact, slightly less then)

The ones before were nice, but I thought this one was just magical. I didn't even bother taking any after I got this one. I just walked away.

I would have to agree.

My blog (external link)

Scott ­ W
893 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 11, 2011 23:58 |  #7

I would say most of the time I am sniper but I am not afraid hold the shutter down when needed. When the bird is stationary I become a sniper but with BIF or other action shots I will often hold the shutter down. Holding the shutter down allows you to pick from several action shots and you might end up with that perfect wing position or pose. I think it really depends on the situation. Different situations call for different shooting styles.

My Gallery (external link) and Blog (external link)

Jon ­ C
760 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 18, 2011 16:54 as a reply to  @ Scott W's post |  #8

The majority of the time I snipe because I have waited for the target to get settled down. That's what I prefer. But, if he wont settle down, I turn on the machine gun.

Canon 7D | EF 24-105L | EF 70-300 | EF 400 5.6L

txcanon
Goldmember
3,535 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Feb 2008

May 18, 2011 18:12 |  #9

I snipe most of the time. I rapid fire for BIF or when I see a bird that I know I'll only get a moment of opportunity to photograph. That has worked nicely on occasion.

Brad
bradfieldsphotography.​com (external link)

EveryMilesAMemory
Goldmember
3,879 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined May 2007

May 22, 2011 15:17 as a reply to  @ txcanon's post |  #10

I was on the end of our dock while a big flock of White Pelicans were gorging themselves on a school of fish.

There were about 5 other photographers out there all shooting like it was the opening pitch at the world series.

One of them looked at me and said "What's Wrong? You've only taken 10 shots to my 100!"

I laughed and said "Yes, but all 10 of mine were framed shots that I was waiting specifically for."

Only time I rapid fire is when a single bird or the whole flock takes off from the water. I like to get the water kicking up as they take off

Pat Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.​com (external link)
www.patbonishphotograp​hy.com (external link)
http://www.instagram.c​om/bonish_photo/[/URL (external link)

piXelatedEmpire
133 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 22, 2011 22:48 |  #11

Crimzon wrote in post #12383923 (external link)
Or maybe your a perfectionist and want to keep your keeper rate up.

This. And sometimes I kick myself for it as I miss great action shots. I'm trying to teach myself it is ok to hold that shutter down and fire away!

piXelatedEmpire.com (external link) | Bird & Wildlife Photography
flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Canon 7D | EF 24-70mm f2.8L USM | EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM | EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM | EF Extender 1.4x III | 580 EX II

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
16,359 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

May 28, 2011 11:13 |  #12

One thing to keep in mind here is "First North American Rights". This is what many U.S. based publications require.

If an image has already been published in North America, then many publications will not buy it for their use. Furthermore, if an image has been published in N. America, and you sell it to a publication that requires first N. American rights, then you can be sued. Not to mention that your relationship with that publisher will be terminated.

This is the reason why it can be very beneficial to fire away at the highest FPS rate your body is capable of. The more keepers of any particular subject at any given time, the more images you will be able to sell.

NOTE: If two images appear to be exactly the same, you will still not be able to sell them both to different publications requiring first N. American rights, even though they are two separate images taken 1/10 of a second apart.
If there is even a very slight difference between the images, then it is normally acceptable to sell each image to different publications, although some publications do have clauses about "similar images".
It's always best to check your contract before offering an image that is very similar to one that has already been sold.

The point is: Firing away rapidly will certainly increase your opportunity for sales.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

jmckayak
502 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2009

May 31, 2011 13:43 |  #13

As I understand it, a machinegunner is supposed to fire in short bursts. aim, 3-5 shots then aim again. Kind of what I do for BIF. Sniping machine gun?

hTr
Cream of the Crop
22,453 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 08, 2011 21:47 |  #14

My camera takes 10 FPS and I'm too damn slow to only take one Shot, so I mostly Take Several with similar Looks.

Here are a couple taken in burst mode!!!

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i153.photobucke​t.com …s212/hTr_02/Osp​rey-HD.jpg (external link)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i153.photobucke​t.com …/hTr_02/Eagle-print-2.jpg (external link)

gary

EveryMilesAMemory
Goldmember
3,879 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined May 2007

Jun 10, 2011 08:43 as a reply to  @ hTr's post |  #15

Very good point Tom!

Pat Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.​com (external link)
www.patbonishphotograp​hy.com (external link)
http://www.instagram.c​om/bonish_photo/[/URL (external link)

sponsored links

4,183 views & 0 likes for this thread
Method of bird shots: Compose carefully or rapid fire?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.