Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 11 May 2011 (Wednesday) 10:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pelican Case for Lenses Only?

TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 11, 2011 10:47 |  #1

I'm looking to pick up a small Pelican case with dividers to hold some extra lenses. My 1514 is at its absolute fullest, and as such I want some "spillover" room into another case, to protect things and (potentially) for whenever I want to take EVERYTHING.

The 1450 looks like a good candidate, but it's a little short. Something as tall as the 1514 would be great, but what I found there was that they only sold square-ish cases which would be larger than the 1514. That doesn't really fulfill my needs, because I want it to be a small, complimentary case, rather than a huge, domineering case.

Bullet points:

• Preferably 7.5" or so tall
  • Padded Dividers
  • Smaller than 1514
Does Pelican make anything like this? Do any of you guys use a small(ish?) Pelican case to hold your lenses? Thanks for any help! :)

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,487 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

May 11, 2011 10:55 |  #2

Just curious.....why does it need to be so tall for just lenses? If you are just looking to have a small transport case....why not lay the lenses on their sides instead of standing on end? The 1454 should work just fine.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

TheBurningCrown
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 11, 2011 16:25 as a reply to  @ Woolburr's post |  #3

Just trying to maximize the use of the vertical space, fitting lenses vertically rather than on their sides.

Also in case I want to shove an extra body into it at some point :oops:.

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

Creevesphotography
224 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2011

May 11, 2011 20:14 |  #4

have you tried going onto pelican.com and putting in the size in their case calculator? that might help you decide which case to use. you didn't mention the width or length you needed? i know they make those "file box" type cases that are deep but not very wide or long.

Carol Reeves Photography (external link)
No fate but what we make for ourselves

TheBurningCrown
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 11, 2011 21:53 |  #5

Creevesphotography wrote in post #12392559 (external link)
have you tried going onto pelican.com and putting in the size in their case calculator? that might help you decide which case to use. you didn't mention the width or length you needed? i know they make those "file box" type cases that are deep but not very wide or long.

Thanks for the reply. The problem with that is that I don't have a width or length that I need, and their calculator (as far as I could see) needs the first two variables before it gives you the third.

I think I may just settle for a 1600 as a "throw everything in it" case, or maybe just a big plastic bin :p.

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

Bendel
323 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 11, 2011 22:56 |  #6

If you go to B&H, you can choose Pelican cases -> Black (or whatever color you want, just removing duplicates) and then I clicked a price range. After that I could filter by any dimension.

Brandon
Canon 5D, 24-105 F4L, 70-200 F4L, 85 F1.8, 430EX II

TheBurningCrown
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 12, 2011 14:12 |  #7

Bendel wrote in post #12393473 (external link)
If you go to B&H, you can choose Pelican cases -> Black (or whatever color you want, just removing duplicates) and then I clicked a price range. After that I could filter by any dimension.

Wow, thanks for the help!

According to B&H, there are 11 cases that have approximately a 7" depth, though a good number of them are variations on the 1510. Nevertheless, both the 1550 and the 1600 popped up. The 1550 might be a good candidate for a "throw everything in" case, though it's not terribly portable.

Then again, for staying put a big plastic bin would also come in handy :D.

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,900 views & 0 likes for this thread
Pelican Case for Lenses Only?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.