Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 12 May 2011 (Thursday) 20:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone return an open refurb item to Canon?

jp129
294 posts
Joined May 2010

May 12, 2011 20:59 |  #1

Has anyone ordered a refurbed item from Canon direct, opened the box, then changed their minds? Will Canon accept an item that has been opened? Of course it's unused & everything as it was when new. I checked the policy, but it only mentions defective or unopened items.

DRIVER > GLASS > BODY

sponsored links
K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

May 12, 2011 21:11 |  #2

I haven't returned anything. I've been under the impression that refurb gear is not returnable unless defective. What is it you changed your mind on?

Flickr (external link)

jp129
THREAD ­ STARTER
294 posts
Joined May 2010

May 12, 2011 22:10 |  #3

A lens. Only reason I may change my mind is someone local is looking to trade my 35L for their 24LII. I bought the 24LII outright thinking I'd have to sell the 35L I have. It would save me time & money to do the trade if I can still return the refurb.

DRIVER > GLASS > BODY

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 12, 2011 22:14 |  #4

jp129 wrote in post #12399789 (external link)
A lens. Only reason I may change my mind is someone local is looking to trade my 35L for their 24LII. I bought the 24LII outright thinking I'd have to sell the 35L I have. It would save me time & money to do the trade if I can still return the refurb.

So it's the 24L? I love that lens. If you can make a swap my advice would be to sell it here, you'll be very close to breaking even, have a look at what they sell for used. I pulled up Canon's policies and you can't return an open box unless it is defective.

Flickr (external link)

jp129
THREAD ­ STARTER
294 posts
Joined May 2010

May 12, 2011 22:30 |  #5

K6AZ wrote in post #12399829 (external link)
So it's the 24L? I love that lens. If you can make a swap my advice would be to sell it here, you'll be very close to breaking even, have a look at what they sell for used. I pulled up Canon's policies and you can't return an open box unless it is defective.

That's what I thought too. I wonder if I'd realistically be able to break even. From the buyer's standpoint, why take a risk buying from an individual just to save a few bucks. If I make it worth while for the buyer, I'd be taking too much for a hit for something not over a few days old.

DRIVER > GLASS > BODY

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 12, 2011 22:34 |  #6

They're $1700 new. Last time I looked I think the refurbs were around $1359. Having just received it with all the paperwork I'd be willing to bet your loss would be minimal. Find a buyer who will use the PayPal e-check option, the fee for that is capped at $5.

Flickr (external link)

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

May 12, 2011 22:39 |  #7

K6AZ wrote in post #12399954 (external link)
Find a buyer who will use the PayPal e-check option, the fee for that is capped at $5.

or Masspay

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 12, 2011 22:50 |  #8

Looks like the OP chose another option - to keep the refurb 24L and sell the 35L. The 35L usually sells quickly.

Flickr (external link)

jp129
THREAD ­ STARTER
294 posts
Joined May 2010

May 13, 2011 00:16 |  #9

Yea, I have no issues keeping the refurb as it looks brand new. I figure it'll be easier to just sell the 35L. You're not kidding, I had like 6 prospects inquire about the lens.

DRIVER > GLASS > BODY

AtMostFear
139 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 13, 2011 01:09 |  #10

I'd say call Canon and ask them. When I got my refurbished camera through canon loyalty program the lady on the phone said I can return it within 14 days in case I change my mind as long as it's unused..

5DII | 35L | 70-200 II | 50 1.4 | 430EXII | Gitzo GT1541T + Markins Q3T

pdrober2
Goldmember
2,318 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 13, 2011 06:20 |  #11

AtMostFear wrote in post #12400705 (external link)
I'd say call Canon and ask them. When I got my refurbished camera through canon loyalty program the lady on the phone said I can return it within 14 days in case I change my mind as long as it's unused..

They said the same thing to me

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23 | 27 | 56 | 90 | 55-200
Feedback

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 13, 2011 09:54 |  #12

AtMostFear wrote in post #12400705 (external link)

Unused as in unopened. Their web site is quite clear, once the seal is broken you cannot return an item unless it is defective.

Flickr (external link)

keithleeSTUDIOS
224 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 14, 2011 11:05 |  #13

You can return a refurb item if it doesn't meet your standards within 30 days. I called and spoke to a Canon rep when I ordered my 50mm f/1.2L refurb lens.

Keith -
5DMKII + BG-E6|7D + BG-E7 + 580EX + 580EXII w/ difussers
Canon 17-40mm f/4L|50mm F/1.4|70-200mm f/2.8L MK1|100mm f/2.8 Macro Sigma 85 f/1.4
www.keithleestudios.co​m (external link)

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 14, 2011 11:09 |  #14

keithleeSTUDIOS wrote in post #12408232 (external link)
You can return a refurb item if it doesn't meet your standards within 30 days. I called and spoke to a Canon rep when I ordered my 50mm f/1.2L refurb lens.

That's not what their written policy states on the site. I've found that telephone CSRs are frequently wrong and whenever there is a conflict between what a CSR says and what is in writing you must go by what is in writing.

Flickr (external link)

HogansHeroes
Goldmember
2,091 posts
Gallery: 173 photos
Joined Oct 2010

May 14, 2011 12:13 |  #15

I was told just yesterday when I was checking to see if they had any G11's in on what the return policy was,I was told 14 days regardless if it was opened or not.So I guess it depends on who you talk to.

Confusing though.

"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop."
-Ansel Adams

sponsored links

1,395 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone return an open refurb item to Canon?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.