Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 01 Mar 2006 (Wednesday) 10:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pretty decent wide angle lens????

ClickClick
768 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 01, 2006 10:25 |  #1

Ok, I am doing a cruise at the end of summer that will be taking me from Rome to Paris/London, Moscow.

I very RARELY have a need for a wide angle lens, but this cruise is an exception. I would like to have something to really capture the entire spectrum of the Colessum, Pompeii, Effiel Tower, London Bridge, and the palace (interior/exterior) in Moscow I will be staying at.

I really would not have a use for the lens after this cruise I don't suppose. So I don't want to shell out a lot of money. (I am in the process of buying a 50mm 1.8, Kenko Extension tubes, tamron 2.8, so money is a bit tight).

Can anyone offer me any advice or suggestions?

A camera.
Trinkets galore.

sponsored links
In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,808 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 01, 2006 10:39 |  #2

You could do a couple of things.

1. Use your kit lens. It is a decent wide angle, but is it wide enough? If not then maybe try the following.

2. Rent a Tokina 12-24, Sigma 10-20, or Canon 10-22 for your trip. I would recommend renting it before hand and play around with it so that you are comfortable using it.

3. Buy one of these same lenses and use it for the trip, then sell it in the marketplace here. You should be able to get close to what you paid for it and sell it rather quickly, so in essence you almost rented it anyway.

Mike, The Keeper of the Archive

Current Gear and Feedback| My Pbase Galleryexternal link | mdsportsphoto.comexternal linkhttps://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=835433

Jman13
Cream of the Crop
5,558 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 01, 2006 10:43 |  #3

As an ultra-wide fan, I can say that wide-angle rules in any situation. That said, having been to Rome, Paris, London, etc: To fit them all in, you get much better shots if you back up than if you use an ultra-wide. Now, for creative effects, sure, the wide angle is a great tool, but for fitting them in...the perspective distortion is HUGE if you're trying to fit the Colosseum in while standing really close to it with an ultra-wide.

If you really want wide-angle, though: I absolutely love my Tokina 12-24.

Jordan Steele - http://www.jordansteel​e.com (external link)
Admiring Light - http://www.admiringlig​ht.com (external link)

ClickClick
THREAD ­ STARTER
768 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 01, 2006 11:04 as a reply to  @ Jman13's post |  #4

This is going to sound really stupid, but how do you go about renting a lens? I live in Ft Lauderdale, FL and I have never seen any Rent-A-Lens places around. We have WolfCamera and Ritz Camera down here. How much do they charge to rent lens as well?

Thanks for the input so far.

A camera.
Trinkets galore.

In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,808 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 01, 2006 11:09 as a reply to  @ ClickClick's post |  #5

ClickClick wrote:
This is going to sound really stupid, but how do you go about renting a lens? I live in Ft Lauderdale, FL and I have never seen any Rent-A-Lens places around. We have WolfCamera and Ritz Camera down here. How much do they charge to rent lens as well?

Thanks for the input so far.

Not sure if they rent. However in Ft. Lauderdale I have to believe that there are other camera stores. Just start calling them up.

Mike, The Keeper of the Archive

Current Gear and Feedback| My Pbase Galleryexternal link | mdsportsphoto.comexternal linkhttps://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=835433

m3elmo
204 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 01, 2006 11:32 as a reply to  @ In2Photos's post |  #6

i'm not a huge wide angle fan either. Seeing you have a 1.6X crop, i suggest the sigma 10-20, 12-22, canon 10-22, or tokina as well.

I myself am in the same situation as you, i'm traveling to london/scotland/paris in a few weeks and purchased a sigma 10-22 specifically for this trip. It focuses very quickly, not too heavy, uses a 77mm filter (not too pricey) and is sharp in the center. I'm pleased with it. It is a relatively new lens so you won't be able to find it used anywhere.

and yes, the extra 2mm from 10mm to 12mm is very noticeable.

Danny
http://photobucket.com​/albums/b103/m3elmo/ (external link)
some random pics...

Tee ­ Why
"Monkey's uncle"
10,596 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 01, 2006 14:24 |  #7

If you really want a cheap wide, a Zenitar 16mm fisheye from Russia is under $150 or so.
It's MF only and make sure to buy ones with built in EOS mount, not the M42 universal mount.
Another lens is Sigma 10-20mm, it's about $470, rest of the ultrawides are more expensive and not necessarily better optically. If you are really strapped for cash, I think the zenitar is the best option.
Have fun on your trip. and post some shots when you get back

Gallery: http://tomyi.smugmug.c​om/ (external link)

RWK
207 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 01, 2006 14:32 as a reply to  @ Tee Why's post |  #8

http://www.rentglass.c​om/ (external link)

This place is in Florida.

Rebel T4i 18-55 IS Kit Lens :cool:
Rebel XT Kit Lens
EF-S 17-85
EF 50 1.8
EF 70-300
EF-S 18-135 STM

ClickClick
THREAD ­ STARTER
768 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 01, 2006 16:46 as a reply to  @ RWK's post |  #9

RWK wrote:
http://www.rentglass.c​om/ (external link)

This place is in Florida.

omg!!! That is awesome. I am going to check them out tomorrow.

A camera.
Trinkets galore.

ClickClick
THREAD ­ STARTER
768 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 01, 2006 16:47 as a reply to  @ m3elmo's post |  #10

m3elmo wrote:
i'm not a huge wide angle fan either. Seeing you have a 1.6X crop, i suggest the sigma 10-20, 12-22, canon 10-22, or tokina as well.

I myself am in the same situation as you, i'm traveling to london/scotland/paris in a few weeks and purchased a sigma 10-22 specifically for this trip. It focuses very quickly, not too heavy, uses a 77mm filter (not too pricey) and is sharp in the center. I'm pleased with it. It is a relatively new lens so you won't be able to find it used anywhere.

and yes, the extra 2mm from 10mm to 12mm is very noticeable.

Lemme know when you return so you can mail it to me to borrow. :)

A camera.
Trinkets galore.

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Mar 01, 2006 22:33 |  #11

I have the Canon 10-22. Excellent lens. Great fun and there is very little distorion on this lens. Not like some of the other UWA's I have used.

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

chtgrubbs
Goldmember
1,675 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Mar 02, 2006 17:19 |  #12

I would go ahead and buy the Tokina 12-24 and then sell it afterwards. You will probably do better that way than paying 2-3 weeks rent on a lens. And you might decide you really want to keep it.

Billginthekeys
Billy the kid
7,359 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 02, 2006 19:59 |  #13

ClickClick, if you ever get down in miami a great store is Pitman Photo, right across US-1 from The Falls mall. i dont think they rent glass but they have a great selection, and prices only a bit more than online (of course theres tax though). great place to check out lenses before you buy them.

Mr. the Kid.
Go Canes!
My Gallery (external link)My Gear
what the L. just go for it.

sponsored links

1,823 views & 0 likes for this thread
Pretty decent wide angle lens????
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.