Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 15 May 2011 (Sunday) 11:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Storage for a few months trip

gotyed
41 posts
Joined May 2011

May 15, 2011 11:28 |  #1

Hi all !

I'm new in here,
I've been reading a lot around here...so thanks :)

I'm planning a trip of 4-5 months.
I have a T1i with a 16GB card.

What is the best way (practically, but low budget..) to have enough memory for all those photos?
Should I buy more cards ?
I won't take a laptop\tablet etc...

Thank you very much!

sponsored links
Bendel
323 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 15, 2011 11:48 |  #2

I don't think there is a practical way to have a 4-5 month trip without a laptop. There is no way to estimate how much memory you need and even if you could, memory cards can fail. I know I wouldn't be happy if 16 gb of pictures disappeared off my card.

Why can't you take a laptop?

Brandon
Canon 5D, 24-105 F4L, 70-200 F4L, 85 F1.8, 430EX II

gotyed
THREAD ­ STARTER
41 posts
Joined May 2011

May 15, 2011 11:50 |  #3

First, I don't have any. :)
And second, it's too big and heavy...

Is there an option to transfer from the camera to an external HD?

Thanks again !

Bendel
323 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 15, 2011 11:53 |  #4

There are external hard drives that you can plug a CF card into and dump your pictures on. I haven't looked into them so I don't know any to recommend.

Brandon

Bendel
323 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 15, 2011 11:55 |  #5

Here is a link to the items at B&H:

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …rage/ci/3369/N/​4287966885 (external link)

Brandon

Creevesphotography
224 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2011

May 15, 2011 13:09 |  #6

i've seen the digital foci and the epson ones. they seem pretty good - a little pricey for the amount of storage when you compare to a laptop. i haven't used them. i ended up taking a laptop and an external with me when i went on a trip.

Carol Reeves Photography (external link)
No fate but what we make for ourselves

Bendel
323 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 15, 2011 13:20 |  #7

Personally I'd get a cheap netbook and an external hard drive. You could get 1 TB of storage and a netbook for less than $400.

Brandon

Scott ­ W
893 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 15, 2011 17:23 |  #8

If I was gone for 4-5 months I would not only want a spot to store all my photos but another spot to back them up as well. If they are in one spot and somethings happens to the laptop or portable hard drive you are out of luck. I would want them in two locations to play it safe. Good Luck.

My Gallery (external link) and Blog (external link)

kokakaste2
Goldmember
3,546 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 15, 2011 18:11 |  #9

4-5 months sounds like a long time. For few week trip I would just take ton of CF cards :) but for such a long trip I would suggest getting a netbook. They are not that expensive now and have quite reasonable sized hard drives in them.

No real use of portable photo storage devices like the Epson or Canon ones, as they are in same price range as a netbook.

Oskar (Oscar) - stuff I use- Flickr (external link) - My Facebook page (external link) :)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,050 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 15, 2011 18:31 |  #10

You might consider taking a USB card reader and a USB external harddrive with you, and plugging both into PCs that you rent by the hour, and transferring files from memory card to harddrive.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Saint728
Goldmember
2,892 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 15, 2011 18:50 |  #11

I would get two Western Digital 1TB external HD for $108.00 each. They use a USB 3.0 and you can buy a USB 3.0 card reader for cheap.
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …assport_Essenti​al_SE.html (external link)
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …3_0_Universal_M​emory.html (external link)

Take Care,
Cheers, Patrick

Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III | 17-40mm f/4.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | 300mm f/4.0L IS
Click Here To See My Gear
Click here to see my Flickr (external link)
http://www.runryder.co​m/helicopter/gallery/9​019/ (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 16, 2011 04:17 |  #12

Forget about the Epson PhotoStorage Devices - way overpriced for what you get. What you want is either a Hyperdrive Colorspace (external link) or a Nexto ND2700 (external link). They are both fast at transferring images from the card to the hard drive and both have nice long battery lives.

Neither is good at displaying the photos (the ND2700 can't). If you're going to be wanting to show them to friends on the trip, or you want to do some culling of duds, then you really are better off with a netbook

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

kokakaste2
Goldmember
3,546 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 16, 2011 04:27 |  #13

hollis_f wrote in post #12417848 (external link)
Forget about the Epson PhotoStorage Devices - way overpriced for what you get. What you want is either a Hyperdrive Colorspace (external link) or a Nexto ND2700 (external link). They are both fast at transferring images from the card to the hard drive and both have nice long battery lives.

Neither is good at displaying the photos (the ND2700 can't). If you're going to be wanting to show them to friends on the trip, or you want to do some culling of duds, then you really are better off with a netbook

I would say those two are over priced as well! :O $300 for hdd with card reader. Then getting a netbook makes much more sense imo

something like this http://www.amazon.com …SUO39M/ref=dp_o​b_title_ce (external link) would cost the same as one of those card readers. And it has 250gb hdd which is not bad for storing photos.

Oskar (Oscar) - stuff I use- Flickr (external link) - My Facebook page (external link) :)

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2009

May 16, 2011 04:43 |  #14

kokakaste2 wrote in post #12417875 (external link)
I would say those two are over priced as well! :O $300 for hdd with card reader. Then getting a netbook makes much more sense imo

something like this http://www.amazon.com …SUO39M/ref=dp_o​b_title_ce (external link) would cost the same as one of those card readers. And it has 250gb hdd which is not bad for storing photos.

its smaller though :D might be important for the OP since he will be gone a long time

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

kokakaste2
Goldmember
3,546 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 16, 2011 04:51 |  #15

true, didn't think of that :D still netbook is quite small :)

sponsored links

4,700 views & 0 likes for this thread
Storage for a few months trip
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.