Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 07 May 2011 (Saturday) 02:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon Destroys Nikon in DSLR Marketshare for 2010

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 07, 2011 18:36 |  #16

S P wrote in post #12366516 (external link)
Thom Hogan, who is a widely known and respected Nikon reviewer/analyst in the Nikon world, predicted a year or so ago that Nikon's DSLR marketshare might drop to something like 30% or less because they've been concentrating so heavily on their pro level gear which is lower volume, but actually higher margin.

Sounds like Nikon is taking a page out of Apple's playbook.

Windows destroys Apple in market share.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

sponsored links
shoturtle
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 07, 2011 18:40 |  #17

Nikon and Canon sells allot to pro, both have good sales. I do not think that all those saying pros are leaving canon like crazy is creditable. Look at a NFL or NBA game, white lens to black lens ratio.

Each has their pros, nikon did come out with a great 70-200 2.8 2 years back, then last year canon came out with the new 70-200 2.8 which matchs up well.

They have been saying nikon are taking more pros away form canon for years. And that is really not the case. Each system has it's merits.

But canon does get them in the beginning. So that helps with the semipro lines. And higher margin, I really doubt, as they sell less of those high end stuff. So it really does not make up the cost of RD and production. The volumes are not there.

It is the entry and semipro level that makes the money for the camera companies.

Thom Hogan, who is a widely known and respected Nikon reviewer/analyst in the Nikon world, predicted a year or so ago that Nikon's DSLR marketshare might drop to something like 30% or less because they've been concentrating so heavily on their pro level gear which is lower volume, but actually higher margin. There hasn't been any shortage of pros switching over from Canon systems to Nikon D700, D3's, and the D3s over the past 1-2 years over on the Nikon boards and elsewhere. In fact I think I'm just about the only person on the Internets who switched from Nikon to Canon last year. :lol: So I believe the numbers, but the real story is what's behind the numbers. Very strong sales of higher margin Nikon pro gear from lots of pros switching or starting new Nikon systems, but weaker consumer/amateur type sales.

With that in mind, the numbers suggest that Canon has really been kicking Nikon's butt in the consumer territory, and based on the product offerings I don't find that surprising either. Nikon's consumer level bodies are really a tough sell. They have almost no controls on the bodies making them slower to operate, their video capabilities are flat out inferior to Canon, and there are so many lenses in the Nikon system that are NOT compatible with those lower end Nikon bodies which makes your upgrade options quite limited. I know of more than a few people who started out with those lower end Nikon bodies, and upon realizing how screwed they were as far as upgrade options and how much they'd have to pay to get lenses that would actually AF on their bodies simply sold the kit off and switched to Canon instead. Nikon's lens prices are also typically considerably higher than the equivalent Canon glass. Anybody whose been to a zoo or any other highly touristy / bring-a-camera area typically reports seeing way more amateur level Canon bodies than Nikon. Canon's sales are also way stronger in Asia than Nikon too. Very cost prohibitive for Nikon to setup sales offices in smaller or emerging Asian countries when they really just sell cameras. Canon sells a whole ton of stuff so can justify being more aggressive based on being able to sell other Canon office products and gear.

So overall not too surprising. It also suggests that Nikon pro level bodies are really kicking butt and outselling the Canon pro level bodies at the moment, but tough to know for sure without raw numbers to look at. Timing is up in the air due to the Japanese earthquake, but Nikon had been due to release a D4, D800, and a D400 all within the next year or so, presumably around the same time Canon might finally get around to releasing a 1Ds4, a 5D3, and maybe a 1D5 not too long after that. So will be interesting to see how things might shift around in the next year. 2011 marketshare numbers are going to be irrelevant though, due to production issues. Nikon has especially been hit hard here because their Sendai plant which was damaged produces all of their full-frame pro bodies. Won't be able to get a good marketshare comparison that's really relevant again until 2012 I'd say, by which time all the 'new' stuff from both Canon and Nikon should be out.

Traveling is my passion, so I am a major Frequent Flyer.
Canon 60D, T1i/500D, Eos 1, Eos 630, and Olympus epl-1. Current Canon Lenses ef 100 2.8, ef 85 1.8, ef 50 1.4, ef 28 1.8, ef 50 1.8,ef 28-135, ef 70-300, ef-s 18-55, ef-s 55-250, 500D close up lens. Current Olympus lenses oly m4/3 14-42, oly 4/3 35mm 3.5 macro with m4/3 adapter, panasonic 45-200, panasonic 20 1.7. And a Part time Pentax K-X shooter.

golemite
156 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 07, 2011 21:54 |  #18

So overall not too surprising. It also suggests that Nikon pro level bodies are really kicking butt and outselling the Canon pro level bodies at the moment, but tough to know for sure without raw numbers to look at.

It doesnt suggest any such thing and your whole post is pretty much hearsay.

website.. (external link) tumblr.. (external link) stuff..

Jahled
Goldmember
1,498 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 08, 2011 16:57 |  #19

...but tough to know for sure without raw numbers to look at...

Hence rendering everything you said into utter gibberish to be blunt

What exactly was the point of all that?

James
Snow Leopards of Leafy London- The magic begins 5th November 20:00 hours on Animal Planet :) | Gear

Ryan1524
153 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 10, 2011 04:55 |  #20

"McDonald's make a better hamburger because they sell more?" - House

ryan - my flickr (external link)

rocket88
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined May 2011

May 11, 2011 11:07 |  #21

Tony-S wrote in post #12366768 (external link)
Sounds like Nikon is taking a page out of Apple's playbook.

Windows destroys Apple in market share.

Doesn't Apple destroy Microsoft in profit?

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 11, 2011 11:08 |  #22

Yes, I think you get my point. Profit margin can trump market share.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 11, 2011 11:35 |  #23

Nikon's sub $1000 models really are lame compared to Canon's. I really like what Nikon is doing in the higher end models, but for those starting out with an entry level body, there is no comparison.

Personally, I think Sony has the best entry level kit and they have some nice new cheap primes. But then they have the opposite problem of nothing high end (At least body wise, they have some nice Zeiss glass).

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 11, 2011 11:36 |  #24

rocket88 wrote in post #12389582 (external link)
Doesn't Apple destroy Microsoft in profit?

The past couple years since the Iphone came out, yes. Market share is more about your last 10 years than your last 2.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

Village_Idiot
GREATEST POTN MEMBER EVER
3,695 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 12, 2011 09:33 |  #25

Weird....I went into a local Best Buy and they only carried Nikon DSLRs and lenses. There were no Canon DSLRs at all.

My village called. I was told that they missed me.

Speedotron users, untie!

CameraMan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
13,337 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

May 12, 2011 09:38 |  #26

Village_Idiot wrote in post #12395518 (external link)
Weird....I went into a local Best Buy and they only carried Nikon DSLRs and lenses. There were no Canon DSLRs at all.

Strange. I was in a Best Buy by me and they had both Nikon & Canon. Our Walmart has Canon & Nikon as well. Just the beginner models. The Best Buy had a 7D with the 24-105 lens on it. I played around with it and was floored by the shutter speed.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

MR ­ do ­ little
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 12, 2011 10:20 |  #27
bannedPermanent ban

Canon rumors, seriously...

Regards
Paul L.

S ­ P
174 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 15, 2011 19:37 |  #28

Nikon's yearly financial report is in, and despite getting "destroyed" in market share by Canon and not even having 30% of the market Nikon has brought in record profits.

http://www.businesswee​k.com …ecasting-profit-rise.html (external link)

No they don't sell a lot of that high-end pro gear in the grand scheme of things, but I really don't think it costs them 10x more to build and sell a D3s vs a D3100. There's definitely a whole lot more profit per unit on the high-end gear, and it seems to be working for them at the moment.

Steve
Instagram:@canikonnomnom (external link)

dissident
60 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 15, 2011 20:16 |  #29

went canon myself because the refurb t2i was cheaper then the nikon competing model for less money.. throw on an aftermarket battery extender and it works great and feels good in the hands.

Good competition is important, hopefully they both innovate to keep their market shares fairly similar. The last thing we want is one of them to gain an advantage over the other by a huge margin overall.

As others have said, just because someone sells more, doesn't make them better. I'd say the best deal of them all would be some of the sony models with image stabilization built into the camera. I had contemplated going that route as a camera newbie.. but I didn't. I wanted a real viewfinder, not an optical one.

Canon T2i | Battery Extender | Canon EF-S 15-85mm | Tamron AF 70-300mm VC USD | Nifty Fifty Mark 1

sponsored links

5,908 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon Destroys Nikon in DSLR Marketshare for 2010
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.