Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 16 May 2011 (Monday) 08:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Think Tank Photo Beltpacks V2

Headshotzx
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 16, 2011 08:35 |  #1

This just in! Think Tank Photo has updated their belt packs to version 2!

IMAGE: http://www.thinktankphoto.com/product-images/xlarge/Feature-Speed-Demon-V20-1.jpg
http://www.thinktankph​oto.com/products/speed​-demon-v2.aspx (external link)

IMAGE: http://www.thinktankphoto.com/product-images/xlarge/Feature-Speed-Freak-V20-1.jpg
http://www.thinktankph​oto.com/products/speed​-freak-v2.aspx (external link)

IMAGE: http://www.thinktankphoto.com/product-images/xlarge/Feature-Speed-Racer-V20-1.jpg
http://www.thinktankph​oto.com/products/speed​-racer-v2.aspx (external link)

Zexun | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) |

sponsored links
Tim ­ Snow
231 posts
Joined May 2007

May 16, 2011 09:41 |  #2

I was just about to post this...Can't wait to see them!

1dMkIII, 5dMkII, 16-35, 24-70, 70-200 f/2.8IS II, 15mm fish, 24 1.4, 50 f/1.4, 135 f/2, 580 II, 550, PW Mini's Flex's and Plus II's, Think Tank AI V2.0, Think Tank Skin, Alien Bees -
500px (external link)Montreal Wedding Photographer (external link), Montreal Photojournalist (external link),
Montreal Wedding Photography Blog (external link), Twitter (external link) NewWindWorkshops - Montreal Photo Workshops (external link)

MR ­ do ­ little
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 16, 2011 09:46 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

Look like a girls purse (the round form), even though im sure it's very functional if your after such a setup.

Regards
Paul L.

Savas ­ K
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Joined May 2007

May 16, 2011 11:36 as a reply to  @ MR do little's post |  #4

If you read the description, they call it a shoulder bag first, that happens to have a concealed belt.

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 16, 2011 11:43 |  #5

I'm getting a speed freak ASAP for review...

can't wait as I've been trying to get ahold of the old version for a few months now and they've been out of stock. Now I know why. This will be replacing my mountainsmith decent for my skiing rig, but I'm also curious to see how it behaves as a shoulder bag -vs- the retro line since that's one of the ways they suggest using it. I also wonder how well it'll work with their chest harness.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

mitch2k1
130 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Mar 2009

May 16, 2011 14:33 |  #6

I have the v1 Speed Racer, as a compact shoulder bag it's ok as a belt pack for walking/hiking I do not like it. No compression straps, like a Mountainsmith lumbar pack, to pull the bag to your body. The result is that you have a bag with 10 pounds flopping about. Not a comfortable way to carry gear. That being said, it's a good bag to shoot events out of, 1 or 2 bodies hanging from you shoulder and a couple of lenses and a flash in the bag. I was hoping v2 was going to add the compression straps but it does not appear so. I find myself using my Retro 30 or Timbuk2 for most situations, more comfortable shoulder straps.

Gear List:
Canon 5D MkIII
24-105mm f4L 70-200mm f2.8L Zeiss 50mm 1.4 Zeiss 18mm 3.5 Zeiss 25mm 2.0 100mm 2.8 Macro USM

Savas ­ K
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Joined May 2007

May 16, 2011 20:44 |  #7

I don't think these were ever meant for walking around with. Version 1, and maybe Version II (despite it's new emphasis as a shoulder bag), was always a sideline shooter's bag. Meaning minimal movement done in the process of acquiring your shots. Think of it as a handy bag to have on you while holding your giant lens on a monopod. You have hands free on the rig while your stuff it right in front of you.

MPCman
858 posts
Joined May 2008

May 22, 2011 02:21 |  #8

Looks pretty good, does anybody know the differences between the old and 2.0 version?

7D, EOS-M, 100-400 L, 15-85, Tokina 11-16 2.8, EF-M 11-22, 55-200

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 08, 2011 14:02 |  #9

looks like mine shipped and will be here next week. :)

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

Savas ­ K
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 08, 2011 19:16 |  #10

I'm jealous. Can't wait for your appraisal!

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 14, 2011 11:28 |  #11

OK, I just opened the box. This thing is NICE. It's not as good looking as a retro bag, but I can see there's a lot of functionality here that the retro doesn't have with the way the top opens and the belt. I'm excited to use this for a bit then review it to see how I like it. I'm thinking this is a better bag when you don't care how you look (landscaping and sports shooting) where the retro is a better looking bag for those times (events, family, around town). The speed demon might have been the better size for me, but time will tell when I get it loaded (I might also be reacting to the fact it's sitting next to my R5). ;)

My Gear List

my sites:
GND buyers FAQ

dsw
30 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 12, 2011 14:35 |  #12

Hi Ben,
I was wondering if you (or anyone else) have some updated perspective on the TT Retro 10 vs the Speed Racer/Freak, now that you've had it for a bit...

I'm considering the Racer as it seems similarly sized to the Retro 10 and I like that it's got the option to convert to a belt. I'd look to use it as a shoulderbag when using casually and use the belt when going on hikes.

I like the velcro silencing options on the Retro, heard that the strap is really comfy, like the option to attach pouches on the sides....don't care about the "doesn't look like a camera bag".

It seems that the Speed Racer wouldn't have the velcro sound issues (since it's zippered), can only attach pouches when in "belt mode" and may not have as much room inside (assuming the dividers are thicker than the Retros). Also, I'd like to understand how comfortable the shoulder strap set-up is when the bag is "loaded".

For me, I'd like the bag to carry: 7D, long lens and 2-3 short-lenses, and a filter pouch (inside or attached).... any observations would be helpful.

Equipment

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 12, 2011 15:13 as a reply to  @ dsw's post |  #13

here's my speed -vs- my R10:

IMAGE: http://www.benjacobsenphoto.com/blog/wp-content/gallery/think-tank-speed/dsc04148.jpg

I'm working on a review right now that will compare both series in video form as well as show how I use the speeds but it's not quite done yet (I have an R5, R10, speed demon, freak and racer here all right now).

Basically, I've been using the speed bag for when I don't care how I look (landscaping or architecture shooting) because it's belt strap adds a ton of functionality. I've been using the retro for portrait and family shooting as I don't get asked questions about it.

the racer and 10 are basically the same size, except for the ability to add pouches when using JUST the shoulder strap. The racer does have the 2 side pockets though, that actually have space where the retro's side pockets won't hold much at all. So their about the same load carrying wise anyway. The shoulder straps are similar in comfort, but the retro does win but slightly. But the shoulder and belt combo of the speed BLOWS the retro away comfort wise. BIG difference.

I have the luxury to keep both. I've made the speed bag my landscape/active bag and the retro my portrait/urban/people bag. It works really well for me as I don't have to pack and unpack to switch activities, I just switch the camera body. If I had to choose, I'd probably go with a speed though, and just zip the extra straps away as needed. It does NOT looks as nice as the retro, but I like the belt so much I wouldn't want to lose it...

My Gear List

my sites:
GND buyers FAQ

dsw
30 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 12, 2011 15:16 |  #14

Awesome. Many thanks--I look forward to your video review!

Equipment

sponsored links

5,005 views & 0 likes for this thread
Think Tank Photo Beltpacks V2
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.